PDA

View Full Version : Help me dress up my next Kirk

Tailwinds
11-11-2005, 10:36 AM
My replacement Kirk is on order. While I'm going through a second, agonizing waiting period, I am thinking about all the different options. I am keeping the same paint/decal scheme -- other than one little change that will remain a secret to you until the new bike is here. I'd like to try some round bars, but I need to find them in a narrow width -- 40 cm outside-to-outside.

I'd like your opinions on the fork. What do you think -- keep it the same? Or get a full deck fork? Opinions, please.

zank
11-11-2005, 10:42 AM
The full deck is sweet.

dbrk
11-11-2005, 12:04 PM
My replacement Kirk is on order. ...I'd like to try some round bars, but I need to find them in a narrow width -- 40 cm outside-to-outside.

I'd like your opinions on the fork. What do you think -- keep it the same? Or get a full deck fork? Opinions, please.

Nitto Noodles come in 41cm o-o and I too prefer a narrow bar (just because that's what I am used to and old bikes all used narrow bars and, well, I'm old...). I'm currently using the 42cm o-0 Nitto Randonneur bars on my Kirk. I couldn't be happier.

Full deck. You'll never tire of looking at it. Easy on the eyes, as I like to put it.

dbrk

Tailwinds
11-11-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks, dbrk! Those are some purdy bars. I'm thinking of ordering them. Your bikes always look so elegant. I like brown saddles and brown leather tape, but I'm not sure how they would look w/the pearly orange paint.. what do you think? Hope you're getting to ride that Kirk lots.

Fixed
11-11-2005, 12:30 PM
I don't know how to start oh well excuse me bro i like 40's too you can fit in tight spots like traffic or in crit between riders or cars.i.m.h.o. oh yeah I just get the chep profiles they have the classic round shpae too. cheers :beer:

Keith A
11-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Tailwinds -- It looks like I'm going against the popular opinion, but I just like the looks of the standard fork as you had before...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5914&stc=1

In addition to the other bars suggested, you should check out the Deda 215 or Ritchey WCS Classic Road bars. The minimum size on the Ritchey's is 40 ctc and the Deda's are 42 oto. So this might be wider than what you wanted.

CNote
11-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Flat crown, full deck.

67-59
11-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Amanda,

Full deck --- like mine. :)

John

MartyE
11-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Flat crown, full deck.

what he said

Keith A
11-11-2005, 03:15 PM
And which fork did DK choose for his personal steed? :fight:

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/curvy%20frame%20400.jpg

bluesea
11-11-2005, 03:42 PM
-- other than one little change that will remain a secret to you until the new bike is here.

I have an idea of what that might be.

Tailwinds
11-11-2005, 04:03 PM
I have an idea of what that might be.

I don't think anyone can guess. :D

Samster
11-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Well... I guess I'm going against the majority. I liked your first choice of fork. Full deck looks nice too, though. But I think the orange color scheme lends itself to a more modern looking front end.

Also in terms of frame design, I personally like flat/full-deck with straight rear stays and your sloping/unpierced fork crown with the swoopy rear end...

But, as they say, "one [person]'s meat is another [person]'s poison."

-sam

PS: who started the trend of "full-deck" anyways? And of all the things to pick as motifs, why those?

rnhood
11-11-2005, 04:37 PM
I am not even sure what a "full deck" fork means but, I have a feeling that you win with either choice. Looking at the picture of the frame above that Keith posted, I would say go this route. It just seems a very synergetic match to the frame. And those Kirk frames stand out in about every category.

bluesea
11-11-2005, 04:56 PM
I don't think anyone can guess. :D

Hmmm. Fillet brazed fastback seatstays? :D

I cast my vote for the sloping fork crown.

andy mac
11-11-2005, 05:03 PM
orange and brown are actually complimentary colors if that helps.

cheers,

andy.

Keith A
11-11-2005, 05:23 PM
The full deck fork has a flat crown with the deck of card symbols on the inner lug. Here is a full decker with fancy lugs...

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/Strong%202%20400.jpg

dave thompson
11-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Tailwinds -- It looks like I'm going against the popular opinion, but I just like the looks of the standard fork as you had before...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5914&stc=1
I agree! the curve of the lugs highly compliment the curve of the fork crown and the paint job accentuates the theme. I stated before that I thought your bike had one of the most startling paint jobs I've ever seen, and I still think that.

Sandy
11-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Keep it the same.

Sane Same Sandy

mwos
11-11-2005, 06:51 PM
I don't play cards but I liked the looks of the full deck fork.

Kathi

scrooge
11-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Change the fork, change the paint...I'd love to see what JB top himself on your next bike! (if that's possible)

MRB
11-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Hi Amanda,

I would go with a full deck (flat crown) if your frame will have a traditional one inch top tube, which is what Dave uses with his cool webbed lugs. If you have a 1 1/8" top tube, which is used with most commonly with the other lug options, then go with the sloped crown.

That's just my opioion, and you're entilted to it ;) .

- M

slowgoing
11-12-2005, 03:29 AM
Here's another vote for your original fork. It's nicely understated and provides a nice contrast to that stand-out color.

ericspin
11-12-2005, 07:43 AM
At this time (because I am constantly changing my my mind about color and design) I am voting for the original sloping crown. To reiterate what others have said I think it looks more organic and appropriate with the Terraplane stays. If I was using the standard seatstay I think I would opt for the full deck. With all that being said I like the FD on dbrk's bike because I think with the all black frame it just seems proper.

Although the circumstances kind of stink it must be fun to take a second shot at designing your bike. So, my vote is for sloping crown.

Tailwinds
11-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all of your feedback. You have brought up some interesting points. It's closer than I thought it would be in the poll. I'm confoosed (thanks, doof, for helping me describe my state of mind).