PDA

View Full Version : who or what is ENVE?

weisan
02-23-2013, 05:59 AM
I will confess...I am usually the last person to hear of the gossip that has been circulating in the office for a month.

This is an honest question. Just about everywhere I turn, I see the four-letter word ENVE stuck on a wheel or a fork. Judging by their popularity, folks like them.

Who are these folks?

I know...there's Google.

But I would rather hear it from my pals...what does ENVE mean to you?:)

buddybikes
02-23-2013, 06:09 AM
Small bike parts company (carbon tubing, forks, wheels, handlebars, stems) that caters to the small builder, so a match made in heaven for building that custom frame. Currently, from what I heard, the tubing, wheels, and ENVE 1.0 fork are USA with other stuff overseas. It appears they provide great support to their client base.

cfox
02-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Absolutely top shelf carbon parts maker. Pretty sure wheels, 1.0 fork are all US made, 2.0 fork, stem and bars are Taiwan. Forks are best in class. The wheels are second only to Lightweight in the carbon wheel universe, as far as I'm concerned.

weisan
02-23-2013, 06:25 AM
Very interesting...please keep your comments coming, I am being schooled here.

tuscanyswe
02-23-2013, 06:31 AM
I think that some of the ppl who worked for reynolds were involved in starting edge/enve. They used to be edge originally but i think they lost or atleast couldent win a trademark conflict with an asian company who also make carbon bike parts called edge so they choose to change the name to enve a few years ago.

weisan
02-23-2013, 06:36 AM
reynolds...used to be edge originally...uh huh, beginning to make sense...:cool:

CunegoFan
02-23-2013, 10:00 AM
They chose the name "Envy" because "Impress the Joneses" was too long.

dogdriver
02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Formerly "Edge", changed their name a couple years ago. Utah based, made up of guys from different previous companies who got together to form a high-end bits builder. Not sure why, but Utah has quite a brain trust for carbon fiber fabrication.

jds108
02-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Formerly "Edge", changed their name a couple years ago. Utah based, made up of guys from different previous companies who got together to form a high-end bits builder. Not sure why, but Utah has quite a brain trust for carbon fiber fabrication.

Utah has CF know-how due to the businesses there involved in aerospace (specifically making rockets and boosters and wound filament high pressure vessels/containers). I think Hercules is one of those kinds of companies, that name may be wrong as it's been a long time since I was on the distant periphery of that industry.

likebikes
02-23-2013, 11:04 AM
forks are made in china.

Ahneida Ride
02-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Small bike parts company (carbon tubing, forks, wheels, handlebars, stems) that caters to the small builder.

Not quite longer true. As I understand they now have unrealistic
minimums on tubing orders.

this does not help the small builder.

spaced_ghost
02-23-2013, 11:41 AM
used to be Edge, as others stated. As I understand it, they wanted to expand into the European market, but there was an existing company named Edge, so they changed to ENVE to avoid trademark disputes. Wheels are still made in US, forks and other components now made in Asia. There was a lot of hate in the US for the name switch, IIRC, and particularly the "tribal tattoo" looking logo as it was derided at the time. They seam to have weathered that storm well. I'd love to get a set of the rims, but sadly, I'm priced out of their market with my current income.

buddybikes
02-23-2013, 01:54 PM
>>>Not quite longer true. As I understand they now have unrealistic
minimums on tubing orders.

so perhaps small builders get through secondary source? Or it could be volume minimum for custom layups.