PDA

View Full Version : Chicken & Egg Dilemma

MattTuck
02-22-2013, 12:25 PM
I've got $300 in Amex Member Rewards that I think I'm going to use at REI. Seems to be the best conversion rate that amex has.

I'm debating between a mechanic stand (like this one from Feedback Sports (http://www.rei.com/product/729321/feedback-sports-pro-elite-bike-repair-stand)) or a set of mechanics tools (Like this one from Park (http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-AK-37-Advanced-Mechanic/dp/B000VX7H0C)).

Doesn't look like I can get both at the moment, and my current tools are pretty rudimentary (a few screw drivers, wrench for my pedals, allen keys, etc.) but I don't have a stand either.

So, which should come first? a stand or the tools to work on a bike?

zandrrr
02-22-2013, 12:31 PM
For most general home-repair type stuff, a set of hex wrenches and a couple screwdrivers are really all you need. Get the stand and supplement your tool collection with smaller bits as you need them.

Dave B
02-22-2013, 12:32 PM
I say tools. You will be able to fix more or correctly with the right tools.

A stand is great, you can display your broken nonfunctioning bike.

I went with tools first. The stand I have isn't expensive and you can do plenrty of fixing with the bike propped up on its wheels or turned over for the most part.

gemship
02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
I second getting the stand first. I have that same Park tool kit and it's nice but there may be a whole lot of wrenches there that I will never use and same for you. You can buy all the wrenches separate.

DRZRM
02-22-2013, 12:34 PM
ATMO, look for a used stand and instead get new tools. It's hard to damage a stand, but used tools for fine adjustments can strip out pretty easily.

I think I have a Park Tool PCS-10 stand that I'd let go for a fair price, let me know if you need it. So AMEX points are most efficiently used as REI (as opposed to Amazon or Amex gift cards)? Good to know.

crownjewelwl
02-22-2013, 12:36 PM
i will also say stand...most of the bicycle specific tools you don't need to often...i'm guessing you have most of the stuff you need already...you don't need a starter kit...and you're better off getting high quality hex and torx wrenches that aren't made by a bicycle tool company!

i have that feedback stand and it is fantastic

the amex conversion is generally 1% i.e., 100 points = $1...most of the gift cards tend to use that conversion

i've found the best use of amex points to be conversions to airline miles (well depending on the airline...virgin america is a rip)

gemship
02-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah that stand does look kind of expensive, I have a park ps9 that I bought of the bay for like 110 but the stand you're looking at is nicer. Looking back on it you can do a lot with a bike on a trainer as well. However for replacing cables and making shift adjustments I really like the stand. It looks and feels pro and you can really correctly take apart a bike with it. plus you can set up a nice bike for storage and show with it.

1/2 Wheeler
02-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Stand!

FlashUNC
02-22-2013, 12:38 PM
You can get by with a lot of repairs on a bike solely with a 3-way hex key.

Get a decent stand so you're not hunched over like Igor and can work on the thing in comfort.

dave thompson
02-22-2013, 12:44 PM
My wife bought me the same Park tool set a few years back. (love her for it!) I find myself using less than half of what it contains with any frequency. So my vote is for the stand first, buy the few 'essential' tools immediately and the rest on an as needed basis.

AngryScientist
02-22-2013, 12:47 PM
stand first, no question.

90+ percent of what i do to my bikes with any frequency is done with some craftsman allen wrenches.

the best way to damage a bike is to not support it properly when working on it.

Jaq
02-22-2013, 01:01 PM
You know, that's a serious quandary. I have to improvise my stand; the few times I've worked on a real one have been an absolute pleasure.

But there is nothing, nothing, like having the right tool for the job when you need it. Like others have said, you can do most of your maintenance with just a few wrenches. If you have what you need for most stuff, go with the stand and keep putting together the tool set for your bike(s) a bit at a time.

gemship
02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
You know, that's a serious quandary. I have to improvise my stand; the few times I've worked on a real one have been an absolute pleasure.

But there is nothing, nothing, like having the right tool for the job when you need it. Like others have said, you can do most of your maintenance with just a few wrenches. If you have what you need for most stuff, go with the stand and keep putting together the tool set for your bike(s) a bit at a time.

yeah like Dave said I really enjoy that ak37 tool kit but I was amazed when I walked into some bike shop a couple hundred miles from home. For example he had like all the tools individual for sale that I used to change out a cassette,pedals and bottom bracket crankset, Shimano of course. That's when I realized I could of saved a bunch. I don't think it's a bad idea to go with the tool kit though if you could find a great deal on a second hand stand like someone else suggested.

slidey
02-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Cheapskate suggestion:

If you've got a trainer AND feel like you don't have enough tools:
then go for tool kit (Trainer to be used as Stand)

If you've got a trainer AND feel like you've enough tools:
Stand

If you've not got a trainer AND feel like you don't have enough tools:
I'd still go for the tool kit, and borrow the stand (a buddy/teammate/local mechanic, etc)

If you've not got a trainer AND have enough tools:
Stand

572cv
02-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Stand!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8ezFDRr2kM

(Sly at Woodstock...... :banana:)

Kirk007
02-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Stand. Makes it much more likely that you use the tools!

jds108
02-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Stand first. Then buy tools one at a time... (and go with as best a quality of tools as you can afford...) For example, don't get stuff at Harbor Freight if you're going to use it all the time - that stuff is inexpensive but doesn't necessarily last....

MattTuck
02-23-2013, 12:22 PM
ATMO, look for a used stand and instead get new tools. It's hard to damage a stand, but used tools for fine adjustments can strip out pretty easily.

I think I have a Park Tool PCS-10 stand that I'd let go for a fair price, let me know if you need it. So AMEX points are most efficiently used as REI (as opposed to Amazon or Amex gift cards)? Good to know.

As crownjewel noted, there might be better conversion deals if you fly a lot. for me, I don't fly that much so I'd rather use it for actual stuff.

Amazon may have a good conversion, pretty easy to see on the member rewards site. Some retailers convert at a much better rate than others. When I looked, REI had a good conversion. Selection of products on Amazon might be better than REI, so if the conversion is good, it might be better than REI.

Louis
02-23-2013, 03:00 PM
My wife bought me the same Park tool set a few years back. (love her for it!) I find myself using less than half of what it contains with any frequency. So my vote is for the stand first, buy the few 'essential' tools immediately and the rest on an as needed basis.

+1 With age comes wisdom. ;)

Tony T
02-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Tools, but I would not buy a set, I would "build" one (and go cheaper (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J1GFI8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on the stand)

jtakeda
02-23-2013, 03:41 PM
I would get tools first.

Its easier to find a stand used on craigslist. Its harder to find a set of tools

Tony T
02-25-2013, 07:43 AM
If you're still looking, Performance has a sale on Spin Doctor tools and stands today