PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

sfscott
02-21-2013, 10:47 PM
In my research on a new wheel set, I was told that at my weight (220#) my first choice of Enve SES 3.4s are probably not a good choice.

Instead, I was recommended the SES 6.7s, the 2.45s if I wanted a more "traditional" shape or any of the Zipp Firecrests.

I have had an interest in Enves because of their molded spoke nipples, brake tracks and reputation, but I hear good things about the Zipps.

So, (1) is the weight limit on the 3.4s real? Assuming too few spokes; (2) Would you buy a "traditional" Enve over a Zipp? or just go with the Zipps?

I know, first-world problems and worrying about choosing between the BMW and the Lexus.

soulspinner
02-22-2013, 04:11 AM
Maybe have someone like Ergott build you custom carbon wheels for your added weight and strength.

rnhood
02-22-2013, 04:31 AM
The Zipp Firecrest wheels have a good reputation, and durability is important at your weight so they would be my recommendation if you fancy a carbon wheel. I would go for a quality clincher like the Dura Ace 9000 C35's though, as they won't flinch under your weight and if you ride mountains, you won't have to worry about braking. If you ride flat terrain, the carbons are likely ok.

witcombusa
02-22-2013, 04:36 AM
custom traditional handbuilts for your needs :banana:

cfox
02-22-2013, 06:19 AM
why not get the 6.7's? More aero, slight weight penalty, and, I think, look cooler. It seems some people have this impression that 6.7's are tri-wheels, but that's not the case.

Hls2k6
02-22-2013, 06:45 AM
Call Enve & discuss it with them. 3.4's are quite strong & Enve's customer service (including warranty and crash replace) is as good as any in the industry.

Dave B
02-22-2013, 08:32 AM
I am a big dude and I will say that if you are looking for a carbon wheel, check out the Reynolds line up. They are wicked strong and when I has a set of the tubulars I could not flex them at all. They rocked!

You might look into the Enve 29er rim. They can be in 32 holes, built up strong and if you want clinchers you are good to go.

Joachim
02-22-2013, 09:00 AM
6.7's are the bees-knees

Hls2k6
02-22-2013, 09:06 AM
I've owned Reynolds and they're great. Enve's are in a different class altogether. No comparison.

There is also tremendous return on having a truly exceptional wheel builder lace and tension your wheels by hand. That attention to detail, time and skill pays massive dividends in both stiffness and durability.

Tony T
02-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Why Carbon? (I ask this because I have alum rims now and I'm considering a carbon set)

Dave B
02-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Why Carbon? (I ask this because I have alum rims now and I'm considering a carbon set)

I would love a carbon wheel with disc hubs. My new cross bike will be disc and for the first time I would consider a carbon rim as I would not be counting on the braking surface to stop me. The real reason I would want a carbon wheel is they look awesome. Would the lighter weight help, sure maybe a bit, but for me, I love the look. I am also not under the delusions that aluminum or carbon wheels make me any better. I just want to make sure I look good when people pass me. ;)

gavingould
02-22-2013, 12:35 PM
i'm 225 on a good day and have zero issues with using 303 Firecrests for CX.

i'll likely pick up a matching clincher set when i can.

1/2 Wheeler
02-22-2013, 12:35 PM
"Concern" of rider weight relating to lite weight wheels tends to be overstated. The "concern" needs to be addresses in more detail. ATMO, there is little "concern" that a modern lite weight wheel is going to fail catastrophically simply because you are a few pounds over 200.

It is a fair concern that any lite weight wheel will not last as long as a heavier wheel, but that is true for any rider. It is also a fair concern that a single spoke failure on a lite weight wheel will make it un-ride able.

Obviously all these concern are impacted by loading but rider weight is only part of the picture.

I suspect you will get your money's worth out of any wheel you choose.

TPetsch
02-22-2013, 12:42 PM
I spoke to Enve a little while back. Told them I was interested in the ENVE Smart System 3.4s wheelset but at 220 pounds I had concerns. At that time I was told that the "Classic Rim 45's" 28 rear, 24 front would not be an issue for the heavier rider. But these are sold as rim only and need to be built up by a skilled tech.

But at 440 grams "each" -for the 45's- how much weight are you really saving over a quality aluminum rim like a DT Swiss?

I'll say it again, I feel as though the lightweight stuff is engineered for the 165 pound rider in mind. At 220 you taking a chance with that gear.

But if you're 220 Enve does make a carbon rim for you and it's 440 grams, it's simple physics really. A rider with more that "average" mass needs a carbon wheel built up with extra mass to support that heavier rider, safely.

I mean Physics does apply in cycling universe too, doesn't it?

SoCalSteve
02-22-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm a big guy ( 6' 5" between 220and 240-depending on time of year)...have owned Reynolds and Enve clincher wheels for years now. Never an issue, ever...many thousands of miles.

I think it's been overblown by super cautious people who think that if a wheel doesn't have 32 spokes or more and does not use Mavic Open Pros or similar, that it will spontaneously explode by anyone over 180 lbs looking at it.

Again, many thousands of trouble free miles on many sets of Reynolds and Enve wheelsets.

Good luck!