PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to ask non-controversial off topic questions or...

eddief
11-10-2005, 06:59 PM
only about bikes?

If it's ok, I'd like to know if anyone has good or not good things to say about Toshiba laptop computers. I need to get a laptop for my latest consulting gig and I'm leaning toward a Satellite M45 model with 1.73 Centrino. I need it primarily for the usual busiess aps and will not need high performance 3D graphics.

Thanks

JasonF
11-10-2005, 07:31 PM
My business partner just bought an M45 model...I believe it was the S355 or something like that. It's a fine notebook, and he's extremely happy with it. Toshiba's have a good reputation. The only major knock on these laptops is paltry battery life.

pdxmech13
11-10-2005, 08:00 PM
WHY NOT A MAC :banana:

yearll i wokn gintoh tabou serptcomu

Ken Robb
11-10-2005, 08:12 PM
my wife has a year old mac laptop and it feels much nicer than my 2 year old HP Pavillion. It is lighter and has longer battery life.

But, there are lots of "software gaps". My reals estate software and MLS do not support Mac.

Hers cost over $2000--mine was on sale for $700 w/512meg Ram and 60meg so there was hard drive so there was a big premium for the Mac.

Apples are all she has ever owned and I don't think she would change for anything.

We take hers when we travel and I get frustrated by the supposedly intuitive pictographs--they are worse than Greek to me.

Next time I will be more aware of the size, weight, and tactile properties of the computer that I buy due to learning how well Mac does those things but it will still have to be Windows operating system. I know BetaMax was better than VHS too but I didn't fall into that "software agp" either.

pale scotsman
11-10-2005, 09:09 PM
I've had good luck with Toshiba Satelitte's for years in a work environment and recommend them whole heartedly. The mobile centrino proc is great for long battery life as well. We switched to IBM Thinkpads last year and they are solid performers too, but Toshiba seems to be more bang for the buck. My .02 Alabamian...

Dekonick
11-10-2005, 09:38 PM
check www.digitaldeals.net and slickdeals.net - always have good coupons for laptops.

Good luck!

Satellite
11-11-2005, 07:59 AM
I also am a fan of Toshiba. I only used Toshiba exclusively (three different laptops) and I needed a new computer. When I got to looking I found Dell to be a much better deal. Deal-smil I have never hated a computer so much in my life. Cheap cheap cheap and customer service sucks; I never needed customer service with my Toshiba so I don't know if they suck in that department; but never needing service sure doesn't suck.

Anyways my Dell is on its last leg and I personally can't wait for the day when I throw it out a 10-story window. I will either go back to Toshiba or possibly IBM I have heard great things about IBM.

Best Regards,

Satellite

ergott
11-11-2005, 09:12 AM
www.newegg.com

They are unbelievably fast (2 days to NY with standard shipping).
I have an Acer and so do a few of my friends. They hold up real well and cost in the $600-700 range.

Bruce Jacobs
11-11-2005, 10:56 AM
I have my Toshiba for three years. I have had a few glitches one of which involved the screen, another with the HD. Both were completely covered by Toshiba. Turnaround from the depot is KY was about 6 working days. They pay the freight.

B

Rapid Tourist
11-11-2005, 07:44 PM
I think toshibas are excellent machines. I used one every day for three years in grad school and the thing was on my back in a backpack all day every day, and taken out multiple times per day for use. Never once had a problem in three years.

More recently I bought a Compaq laptop and IT SUCKS.

I wish I had bought another Toshiba, and my next laptop will be toshiba.

ti_boi
11-11-2005, 08:06 PM
I own the big Toshiba 17" notebook with the Pentium 4. Satellite model.
Don't go centrino....go Pentium 4...you want more backend cache to kick those applications through the processor.

As for the unit, it has been great. Had a bad screen when I first got it and was replaced under warrantee. I dragged my feet and they replaced it when I brought it in on the very last day of the warrantee! HA!

Anyway, my opinion is that Microsoft is the weak link in most hardware systems! MACs are OK but they have their own set of 'issues'....buy one of each and judge for yourself.

ada@prorider.or
11-11-2005, 08:56 PM
laptop a had several over the year's
i found the best in all these years
IBM the best!
in all ways
i had some sofare problems with also but we always solved perfectly
also important for me warrenty all over the world!
i have extended warrenty 3 years on the door service where ever i am

jerk
11-11-2005, 10:05 PM
laptop a had several over the year's
i found the best in all these years
IBM the best!
in all ways
i had some sofare problems with also but we always solved perfectly
also important for me warrenty all over the world!
i have extended warrenty 3 years on the door service where ever i am

bro,
you've got a nice desktop too bro.
cheers,
jerk

shaq-d
11-12-2005, 02:49 AM
i'm sure toshiba is fine.

but thinkpads rock.

sd

Andreu
11-12-2005, 03:36 AM
I have done in the last 5 years that have really changed my life for the better and I have to say seriouly stopping using a PC and buying a Mac was one of them.
A

Sandy
11-12-2005, 07:47 AM
The nicest laptop is a dog on top of your lap. It will make you smile and relax and make you forget your other laptops for a while. :)

Bow Wow Sandy

BarryG
11-12-2005, 11:42 AM
I'd urge you to not scrimp on peformance. For the same cpu and clockrate, laptops run significantly slower than a desktop so you need to go with more laptop horsepower and RAM than you think you need.

I've had fairly good experience with Dells and I've heard very good things about IBM's.