PDA

View Full Version : Dura-Ace 9000 C24 Clinchers

ptourkin
02-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Looking at wheels to go on a new build that will include a 9070 11-speed group. The C24s look like a good value for a set with wide rims that are fairly light. I'm a climber/endurance guy at 135 lbs. I was also looking at at HED C2/H+Son/Pacentil built up. Anyone have experience/thoughts on the DA yet?

fa63
02-21-2013, 04:05 PM
IMO it is hard to go wrong with Shimano wheels. They may not be the lightest out there, but the hubs are some of the best and they are very durable. At your weight, they might be a bit overbuilt for you (though that is not necessarily a bad thing), but even with that I am sure you will enjoy them a lot.

mike p
02-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Can't go wrong with shimano. I personally would take the C 35's as an all rounder but they're all great.

Mike

rnhood
02-21-2013, 06:48 PM
At your weight, you're not likely to tax any wheelset so you have a wide field to choose from. However, if you want a great all around wheelset that feels lively, rides well, suitably lightweight (especially the rims) and robust then its hard to do better than the DA wheels (C24's and C35's). I've got two sets of the C24's and never a problem. Really nice wheels.

JayBay
02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
I had a set of the RS-80 C24's (same rim, Ultegra-level hub) and even at 185 lbs I thought those wheels rode great. I'd still have them if I didn't switch to Campy.

professerr
02-21-2013, 11:20 PM
I wanted to try something wider than my Open Pro's, but was unsure about hype and weight of the C2s and A23s. C24s measure somewhere in between. I researched a bit here and there and concluded they were the best combination of light weight, strength and price I could find, especially since I bought them from Wiggle for something like $700, tax free, free shipping.

Compared to my normal 28/32 Open Pros (built by one of the finest local builders), they felt stiffer and more damped -- not a surprise given the high spoke tension and carbon rim I suppose. They felt noticeably more secure descending. They also felt noticeably faster climbing (they are significantly lighter), but my times up 4 mile climb I've done a zillion times were no faster whatsoever. I didn't magically drop anyone either.

BUT the hubs on first set I got from Wiggle went from smooth to rough in less that 150 miles. I was pretty shocked. They weren't unrideable, but they were pretty trashed for a brand new hub. Uh-oh I thought: now I'm gonna pay the price for trying to save a buck via overseas mail order. But Wiggle replaced them instantly, no questions asked -- even sent a courier to my house to pick up the old ones.

Current set have several thousand miles on them and are completely true and smooth. I weight 155, btw.

I would definitely buy these again (and I'd definitely buy from Wiggle again too).

KonaSS
02-22-2013, 04:44 AM
I am also looking at a set of the 9000 series C24s, so I appreciate the opinions.

My question is which version to get, the tubeless or the clincher?

Tubeless is a bit heavier. I am guessing the rim shape needed for tubeless is the source of the weight. Other than that, I am not sure that there is any difference.

So I am leaning to the tubeless. I haven't ridden tubeless, but it gives me that option for a tiny weight penalty. Any other factors to consider?

oldpotatoe
02-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Looking at wheels to go on a new build that will include a 9070 11-speed group. The C24s look like a good value for a set with wide rims that are fairly light. I'm a climber/endurance guy at 135 lbs. I was also looking at at HED C2/H+Son/Pacentil built up. Anyone have experience/thoughts on the DA yet?

Or a set of 9000 hubs, A23, OC rear, 24h front(Rev spokes), 28 rear, Rev spokes LH side...similar weight and less $. If you look at retail->retail.

I think the OC-edness is a big advantage for any rim, particularly with 9000 or Record hubs(RH flange pretty close to centerline)

znfdl
02-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Or a set of 9000 hubs, A23, OC rear, 24h front(Rev spokes), 28 rear, Rev spokes LH side...similar weight and less $. If you look at retail->retail.

I would also look at the new Pacenti SL 23 rims as a substitute for the A23.

I have about 200 miles on a set of the Ergott wheels built with the Pacenti rims, ride is similar, but to me the brake track appears to be nicer.

ptourkin
02-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the information. The 35s are interesting too but my new frame is being built in the mountains east of San Diego and that's where it will be ridden the most - so weight is more important than aero in my thoughts right now. I was looking forward to working with the wheel builder but the 24s seem to be hitting a sweet spot.