PDA

View Full Version : speculation: how long until ultegra/105 11-speed?

AngryScientist
02-21-2013, 06:19 AM
i tell you, i was darn impressed by that dura-ace 9000 stuff, very nice. However, the cost of entry is high. it's always nice to offset the top tier groups with a lower end cassette here, or RD there.

i electronic ultegra followed electric dura-ace pretty quickly, maybe an 11-sp ultegra is coming soon?

shovelhd
02-21-2013, 06:27 AM
My guess is 12 months to allow 9770 to penetrate the high end of the market before the Ultegra version eats it, but I have no insider knowledge.

oldpotatoe
02-21-2013, 07:20 AM
i tell you, i was darn impressed by that dura-ace 9000 stuff, very nice. However, the cost of entry is high. it's always nice to offset the top tier groups with a lower end cassette here, or RD there.

i electronic ultegra followed electric dura-ace pretty quickly, maybe an 11-sp ultegra is coming soon?

Probably see it at EuroBike in 2013, Interbike and introduction into the market at OE in late fall, early winter. Just guessing..think you'll see electronic XTR as well..11s Ultegra electronic after mechanical, just like DA. Too bad it's going to make all previous(mechanical/electronic/10s) obsolete. There is NO 10s compatibility with 9000 except for brakes and the crank.

vav
02-21-2013, 07:43 AM
The sooner the better. I love my 6700 stuff so I hope prices go even further down with Ultegra 11 introduction.

oldpotatoe
02-21-2013, 07:55 AM
The sooner the better. I love my 6700 stuff so I hope prices go even further down with Ultegra 11 introduction.

No doubt but ala shimano, the 6700 stuff will not be made any longer. As soon as shimano made 7900, they stopped with 7800, same with 6700 and 6600, 6600 and 6500, 7700 and 7800.

No problem with the above stuff as there was a lot of inter compatibility, but the 11s stuff cannot be used with 10s stuff and vice versa. So if you kill a 6700 rear der...eventually will only find a 5700(which works great also) and eventually only a Tiagra..and so it goes.

So if ya munch a 11s ultegra Rder, you cannot use a 6700 rear der..as an example.

vav
02-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Time to hoard! ;)

Chance
02-21-2013, 08:53 AM
...........cut.......... There is NO 10s compatibility with 9000 except for brakes and the crank.

The four-arm cranks with only 110 bolt circle for all ring sizes seems like a great idea to me. A feature of the new DA group that hopefully makes it down to cheaper groups. Will hopefully end all the "compact" versus "traditional" comparisons. My only question is how will they adapt the new crank design for Ultegra and or 105 triples.

Guessing timing will be similar to the past -- a year or two behind DA.

krismac23
02-21-2013, 08:58 AM
I bet new R ed 11x2 comes on pro bikes come spring...just saying

christian
02-21-2013, 08:58 AM
The four-arm cranks with only 110 bolt circle for all ring sizes seems like a great idea to me. Really, this seems like a punch in the nads to me. I mean, if you're going to standardize on 110mm bcd (which is great), five arms would have worked just fine thank you very much.

Chance
02-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Really, this seems like a punch in the nads to me. I mean, if you're going to standardize on 110mm bcd (which is great), five arms would have worked just fine thank you very much.

Yeah, five looks better to me too, but to Shimano's credit four arms that are unevenly spaced makes more sense from a technical standpoint. Its symmetry addresses the fact that we pedal with two legs in 180-degree cycles. And they move the arms closer when the rings are under greater stress for better support and stiffness. It's a brilliant design in my opinion.

false_Aest
02-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Probably see it at EuroBike in 2013, Interbike and introduction into the market at OE in late fall, early winter.

+1

Too bad it's going to make all previous(mechanical/electronic/10s) obsolete. There is NO 10s compatibility with 9000 except for brakes and the crank.

You mean no out-of-the-box compatibility right? On electronic its more about the servo programming and not the geometry of the derailleur, right?

I keep hoping for more hacks for electronic stuff.

rice rocket
02-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Really, this seems like a punch in the nads to me. I mean, if you're going to standardize on 110mm bcd (which is great), five arms would have worked just fine thank you very much.

170/110 BCD is the future!!!!

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/eecycleworks-eecrank-prototype-2010.jpg

I think it's a good idea, no need to make crazy complicated hollow chainrings to give stiffness to the outer ring.

CunegoFan
02-21-2013, 01:51 PM
I think it's a good idea, no need to make crazy complicated hollow chainrings to give stiffness to the outer ring.

There is the problem right there. No chance to sell crazy expensive hollow rings that cost more than what entire cranksets did not so long ago. That is a deal breaker.

Chance
02-21-2013, 02:44 PM
There is the problem right there. No chance to sell crazy expensive hollow rings that cost more than what entire cranksets did not so long ago. That is a deal breaker.

Perhaps the less expensive groups won't use hollow outer chainrings at all but will rely on more material instead to increase stiffness. At a slight weight penalty of course. Besides, extra weight would be expected anyway compared to DA so that may rule out hollow rings.

Also, Shimano has made 4-arm cranks for MTBs for decades and they did not have to use hollow rings to make them stiff enough (granted they were smaller). And hollow road crank arms were available in high-price groups at the same time that solid crank arms were offered in 105 groups. There is design room to keep costs down if that's what they want. Personally looking forward to see what they offer.

nahtnoj
02-21-2013, 07:38 PM
No doubt but ala shimano, the 6700 stuff will not be made any longer. As soon as shimano made 7900, they stopped with 7800, same with 6700 and 6600, 6600 and 6500, 7700 and 7800.

Yet you can still buy 6600 STIs new from any number of sources online...

pbarry
02-21-2013, 07:48 PM

Cino thought six was even better.
http://veloclassics.blogspot.com/2010/12/late-70s-fully-pantographed-colnago.html

PaMtbRider
02-21-2013, 10:58 PM
I am holding out for Ultegra Di3 11 speed hydraulic :banana:

oldpotatoe
02-22-2013, 07:29 AM
The four-arm cranks with only 110 bolt circle for all ring sizes seems like a great idea to me. A feature of the new DA group that hopefully makes it down to cheaper groups. Will hopefully end all the "compact" versus "traditional" comparisons. My only question is how will they adapt the new crank design for Ultegra and or 105 triples.

Guessing timing will be similar to the past -- a year or two behind DA.

Good question, triples or not. BUT just use the small ring bolted to middle ring option like it is now for 6703..I suspect, if they do make a triple.

oldpotatoe
02-22-2013, 07:31 AM
+1

You mean no out-of-the-box compatibility right? On electronic its more about the servo programming and not the geometry of the derailleur, right?

I keep hoping for more hacks for electronic stuff.

Talking mechanical. Electronic hacks for the hacks..

oldpotatoe
02-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Yet you can still buy 6600 STIs new from any number of sources online...

BUT shimano doesn't make them anylonger, was my point. I can still buy a 1985 Victory rear der also but...

Chance
02-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Good question, triples or not. BUT just use the small ring bolted to middle ring option like it is now for 6703..I suspect, if they do make a triple.

Hope they continue to offer triples in the lower-cost groups. Can't see Shimano giving up on that market share however small it is.

As to design, hope they use crankarm bosses instead of middle ring to support granny ring. With only four shorter crankarms maybe they will be solid (versus hollow) so forging bosses for granny ring will be possible. Although it would be cheaper for them to use the middle ring as you predict. In that case they just need to add a longer spindle to the crankarm to create a triple crankset.

Guess we'll find out soon enough. Either way a triple with 110 BC sounds great to me. Lots of gearing flexibility without having to spend a fortune to make changes.

oldpotatoe
02-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Hope they continue to offer triples in the lower-cost groups. Can't see Shimano giving up on that market share however small it is.

As to design, hope they use crankarm bosses instead of middle ring to support granny ring. With only four shorter crankarms maybe they will be solid (versus hollow) so forging bosses for granny ring will be possible. Although it would be cheaper for them to use the middle ring as you predict. In that case they just need to add a longer spindle to the crankarm to create a triple crankset.

Guess we'll find out soon enough. Either way a triple with 110 BC sounds great to me. Lots of gearing flexibility without having to spend a fortune to make changes.

I think when they come up with an electronic XTR triple, you will see an electronic ultegra triple. I also think triples are a good idea. campagnolo has re introduced triples in 2013, 10s and 11s..doubt shimano will abandon. Another way to 'isolate' sram.