PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feel guilty switching clubs/teams?

FastforaSlowGuy
02-20-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm thinking of switching teams this year to join one that is closer to home than the folks I raced with last year. I sort of feel guilty about this, which is probably silly because (1) 2012 was my first year racing since somewhere in the mid 90's, so I don't have a deep history with those guys, and (2) the distance I had to drive to attend group rides and the like was long enough that I rarely went.

Do I just have an overactive sense of loyalty? When I show up at races in new kit and run into old teammates, is an explanation in order? What's protocol here?

T.J.
02-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Was there a commitment with the team you are leaving? I signed a two year deal with my last team. It was then re- up if they want you to stay or leave. Pretty business like

cmg
02-20-2013, 04:31 PM
no switch teams, they'll understand and if they don't do you really care? Show up, smile, explain if there's a ackward silence but if not don't.

fuzzalow
02-20-2013, 04:40 PM
If you made friends or acquaintances with any of the team, then they know you and will understand why you switched. And if they don't understand, then there's your reason not to give a hoot.

zennmotion
02-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Life is short, is the brief bit of "hurt feelings" more important than the right fit for you? And I think it's a non-issue, in areas with multiple clubs there's lots of turnover every year. Unless you received some tangible benefits like race fees or free equipment, you don't really owe them anything, except a polite and honest explanation- which you can do on their list serve if they have one. And if they're a bunch of decent guys, you can still show up occasionally for their training rides. That said, just disappearing without explanation is not very nice, some of those guys did work for you (organizing the rides, ordering clothes, dealing with USAC etc). So an explanation that you just live too far away to attend much is all you need. Clubs don't like long rosters of mostly inactive people, I was on one of those and outside a very few, it seemed every ride was mostly different strangers. So I changed clubs! A club that fits you is so great, you owe it to yourself to find it if possible.

T.J.
02-20-2013, 04:48 PM
If its a club then as said above, explain the situation and bounce.

zennmotion
02-20-2013, 05:01 PM
If its a club then as said above, explain the situation and bounce.

Yeah, a "team" as distinguished by racing level- eg Cat 2's who get real sponsor benefits may have other obligations. Bike racers at all levels can really act like clueless entitled brats sometimes. But that's another issue.

T.J.
02-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Yeah, a "team" as distinguished by racing level- eg Cat 2's who get real sponsor benefits may have other obligations. Bike racers at all levels can really act like clueless entitled brats sometimes. But that's another issue.

Yeah that what I was talking about. That why we have to sign a two year deal. With bikes and clothing helmets and shoes its a big investment.

danield
02-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Based on my very recent past experieence, recommended protocol is to give the old team an email/facebook heads-up & good luck message that you're riding with new team which is closer to home etc. Let's them keep their roll in order and should avoid any awkwardness down the line.

firerescuefin
02-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Life is short, is the brief bit of "hurt feelings" more important than the right fit for you? And I think it's a non-issue, in areas with multiple clubs there's lots of turnover every year. Unless you received some tangible benefits like race fees or free equipment, you don't really owe them anything, except a polite and honest explanation- which you can do on their list serve if they have one. And if they're a bunch of decent guys, you can still show up occasionally for their training rides. That said, just disappearing without explanation is not very nice, some of those guys did work for you (organizing the rides, ordering clothes, dealing with USAC etc). So an explanation that you just live too far away to attend much is all you need. Clubs don't like long rosters of mostly inactive people, I was on one of those and outside a very few, it seemed every ride was mostly different strangers. So I changed clubs! A club that fits you is so great, you owe it to yourself to find it if possible.

We have winner! Well Put.

shovelhd
02-20-2013, 06:45 PM
You really asked two questions. Should you feel guilty, and what is the protocol.

Guilt is a personal thing. If you are doing the right thing in your heart then it's hard to feel guilty. If you are leaving for the right reasons, and you handle it well, then it's hard to feel guilty.

There really is no protocol, but there are right and not so right ways to handle it. I am leaving the club that I joined after returning to racing. They do not have sponsored teams, they sponsor all racers. We accumulate points throughout the racing season and get a check at the annual meeting. I was #1 this year. I got a big check, big enough to pretty much pay for my FC frame kit. But I didn't feel guilty at all. Well before the meeting, I sent an email to the board of directors and let them know that I was moving on. I joined the club again for 2013. I will go to the club events. I will volunteer and help out the races that they hold. I just won't be wearing their jersey in the field, and I won't be getting any more checks. More for everyone else. Their response was that when a racer moves on from the club it is a compliment to the club. That is a good way to look at it.

Good luck.