PDA

View Full Version : Pikes Peak ride advice.

Dromen
02-20-2013, 11:14 AM
A small group of us are going to climb PP the week before the Triple Bypass(7/8 - 7/11). We want to make it more than a ascent/decent ride so need some route advice from some Colorado Springs-ians as to a good start/finish point approx 20-30 miles out from PP base. Just to make it interesting.

We have done some 14k+ rides before(Mt. Evans) and I know they just opened the PP road to non-organized riders late last year but would be curious as to how PP compares, ie road condition, 100% paved, climate risks(assuming same as Mt Evans but maybe not), grades, guard rails, bike lane/shoulder, etc

Thanks for the help.

malcolm
02-20-2013, 11:18 AM
I went up it a couple years ago in a car and it was all paved except for just a short section that I think has subsequently been paved. I didn't realize it had been opened to bicycles except on certain occasions. Good luck its a long but beautiful climb.

Ken Robb
02-20-2013, 11:23 AM
There is an oxygen bar at the top so flatlanders struggling to breathe can find relief. I got a little light-headed from walking briskly for 100-200 yards at the summit. There is no chance I could climb all the way on a bike but I live at 100 feet above sea level.

Jaq
02-20-2013, 11:33 AM
I did the Pike's Peak climb last July; it started about 10 miles from the top, which was shorter than the previous start/run of 20 miles. I think they did this because of traffic issues. Certainly by the time the ride finished, they'd already started letting cars up the road.

As to the road - it's phenomenal. Those 10 miles had perfect (new) asphalt all the way to the top, though the top itself is hard-pack dirt. The switch-backs can be narrow in spots, and some of the sections get pretty steep, but as long as you stay to the right, I can't imagine too many safety issues. That said, there always are some, obviously.

I did it in a 53/39 with a 13-26 in back. More (worse) than that, I drove up from Los Angeles (sea level) literally the day before. I felt great until about 11,500; after that, it was hard.

The previous climbs started at the entrance to the park itself. There are some Youtube vids of it. The first 10 miles of that 20 mile stretch is good, but there are a few sections that are narrower and winding. I remember thinking that I'd love to ride those first ten as well, though the traffic might be a little worrisome.

We stayed in Colorado Springs, rented a bike for one of us from Criterium Bikes (they were great) and drove straight to PP; there seem to be a ton of little B&Bs closer in, though, that look like they'd be lovely.

rides2slow
02-20-2013, 11:36 AM
On my to do list.....
Did Mt Evans last year.

Jaq
02-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Oh, I'd add that we did it starting at 6 am on a Sat. morning, and the ride was over by 9. The traffic coming up the hill was light, and all of it coming up the hill. And the two weeks previous to that, the Waldo Canyon fire devastated a lot of the region - so there might have been even less traffic than normal.

So during mid-week, in the am, or earlier on a weekend, it should be great; not enough time for (usually afternoon) thunderstorms to have developed. But on a sunny summer weekend, midday, it might get a little crazy.

Lovetoclimb
02-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Never been myself, though it is on the to do list for my next CO trip. Just looking at Google Maps it looks like could go up the Eastern side via a trail (shows up as a solid green line on the maps bicycling layer) just West of Manitou Springs. Then down the Western side of the mountain via the Pikes Peak Toll Rd / Pikes Peak Hwy. Take that to US 24 and loop back to Manitou Springs. Though US 24 does look like a high speed motorway, may defer to locals on all of the above!

jmoore
02-20-2013, 11:58 AM
We drove it a couple summers ago. There are no guardrails or shoulders. The roads were fine as far as pavement goes, but it made me nervous as all get out in a car. I did not like it at all.

Steve K
02-20-2013, 12:47 PM
http://303cycling.com/Pikes-Peak-Highway-Open-to-Cyclists-Starting-Jan-2013

MadRocketSci
02-20-2013, 12:48 PM
holy crap, i didn't know about this...

http://articles.outtherecolorado.com/articles/cyclists-2062-highway-peak.html

sounds like if they have problems, they can easily shut it back down. So, please, everyone.....don't...f**k...this...up.

can't wait!!

Flying Pigeon
02-20-2013, 12:54 PM
I rode the 'Assault On The Peak' event the first year when they rented the mountain for the day. It started from Manitou Springs that year. What a great event!

I found it challenging to say the least - lots of wind up high and it throws 10% grades at you above 10k'. I used my 34x29t plenty. There was a mile or 2 of dirt but I hear that it's all paved now. The descent is awesome (I was careful) and yes there are huge drops with no guardrails.

It was funny to try and learn about the road from youtube videos. 1000hp racecars doing it in under 10 minutes didn't really relate to the experience I had on that road.

Jaq
02-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Yeah, thank god for you guys; there were lots of nice vids after that. One of 'em cracked me up, though. I think it was sort of the official vid, and had a couple of guys in terrific shape talking about how "if you're a fairly regular enthusiast, you shouldn't have any problem!"

The last mile was brutal. But I have to say, there were quite a few folks packing a few extra pounds that managed it well enough. Great crowd, too. And the jersey's sorta my fave these days, but mostly because it's green, semi-race cut, and has a 3/4 zip.

gdw
02-20-2013, 01:38 PM
"Just looking at Google Maps it looks like could go up the Eastern side via a trail (shows up as a solid green line on the maps bicycling layer) just West of Manitou Springs. Then down the Western side of the mountain via the Pikes Peak Toll Rd / Pikes Peak Hwy. Take that to US 24 and loop back to Manitou Springs. Though US 24 does look like a high speed motorway, may defer to locals on all of the above!"

You're probably looking at the Barr Trail or Cog Railroad. They aren't an option for skinny tire riders.

Jaq
02-20-2013, 03:14 PM
MTB descent down Barr Trail (http://youtu.be/TEMSLzxxPiU)

Ken Robb
02-20-2013, 05:30 PM
MTB descent down Barr Trail (http://youtu.be/TEMSLzxxPiU)

I don't think I would could relax enough to ride that trail well if at all. The severity of the drop-offs and the required precision would be exhausting.

I have ridden trails that rough but not where a mistake would bring such severe consequences.

gdw
02-20-2013, 06:06 PM
That clip is wild and those riders are really talented. They rode sections on the upper part of the trail which can be treacherous to descend on foot.