PDA

View Full Version : Jewels from the Netherlands

oliver1850
02-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Finally, after starting 2 years ago, the last pieces of Centaur stuff for my Concours. Now, how to build? They are 36 holes and the Concours will fit 28 tires on Protons. Belgians, A23s, other options? Best place to buy? thanks

guyintense
02-19-2013, 02:57 PM
I have a couple of Benotto tubulars NOS that would look period.

gomango
02-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Gorgeous.

Tried bidding on two sets of these and missed both times.

Fwiw A friend in Iowa is building a very nice 1990 Tommasini Super Prestige with the Century grey Centaur gruppo for me.

I ended up using a set of Campy Neutrons, so I have several nos 36 whole rim sets available.

Let me know if you need names and pics.

MattTuck
02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
related to these Jewels from Belgium? http://www.cnbc.com/id/100468815

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Finally, after starting 2 years ago, the last pieces of Centaur stuff for my Concours. Now, how to build? They are 36 holes and the Concours will fit 28 tires on Protons. Belgians, A23s, other options? Best place to buy? thanks

I've got a set of these laced to Mavic OP CDs, they look the t$ts. Gorgeous hubs.

buldogge
02-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Mark...ModernBike has 36H black A23s on sale for $53 + $6.99 shipping for the entire order.

-Mark in St. Louis

oldpotatoe
02-21-2013, 07:59 AM

Ambrosio Nemesis.

H+Son TB-14

staggerwing
02-21-2013, 09:00 AM
I have a NOS 32h pair due in shortly from the other side of the Atlantic. Haven't been this excited about a hubset in some time.

Thinking about H+Son Archetypes in the hard grey anodized finish. Having issues deciding between black or silvers spokes and nippples, and CX-Rays, versus traditional round spokes.

oliver1850
02-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Thanks all. Weighing the options. I don't think the heds are available in 36. My last set of similar (Daytona) wheels I used Excellights, which I've been happy with - just looking to try something wider.

I'm leaning toward the A23s, as I've had good luck with a pair of Aeroheads that I've had for 20 years, and the A23s are lighter and cheaper than the H+Sons. Is there a similar offering from Kinlin? I suppose if I wanted to be period correct for 2004 I should consider Aeroheads. Is there another rim that's stayed in production so long?

Staggerwing: I'm thinking black rims and spokes.

oldpotatoe
02-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Thanks all. Weighing the options. I don't think the heds are available in 36. My last set of similar (Daytona) wheels I used Excellights, which I've been happy with - just looking to try something wider.

I'm leaning toward the A23s, as I've had good luck with a pair of Aeroheads that I've had for 20 years, and the A23s are lighter and cheaper than the H+Sons. Is there a similar offering from Kinlin? I suppose if I wanted to be period correct for 2004 I should consider Aeroheads. Is there another rim that's stayed in production so long?

Staggerwing: I'm thinking black rims and spokes.

A23 are OC rear also. A good thing.

echelon_john
02-22-2013, 08:39 AM
I think the hard ano H+Sons would look much better than A23s for this purpose. Either Archetypes if you want wide rims or TB14s if you want them to look traditional. Just my 2¢...

oliver1850
02-22-2013, 03:33 PM
I think the hard ano H+Sons would look much better than A23s for this purpose. Either Archetypes if you want wide rims or TB14s if you want them to look traditional. Just my 2¢...

Is this because you like the finish better on the H+Sons, or don't like the shape of the A23s?

The Archetypes look like they might resemble Omega V profiles, just a mm shorter and 2 mm wider. They aren't available with the hard anodized finish in 36. Are the pics on the H+ site of the black or the hard anodizing? I've never seen any of these rims in person.

echelon_john
02-22-2013, 03:44 PM
I just think the dark ano finish of the Archetypes would go better with the hubs than the black A23s. The hard ano looks almost like the finish of the Mavic CD rims, like the Mach2 CD2. It's a nice deep grey that looks nice on classic bikes.

They are sometimes available in 36h. I can check with Tsuzing if you're interested. My recommendation actually had more to do with style/color than specs. They're both good rims.

Is this because you like the finish better on the H+Sons, or don't like the shape of the A23s?

The Archetypes look like they might resemble Omega V profiles, just a mm shorter and 2 mm wider. They aren't available with the hard anodized finish in 36. Are the pics on the H+ site of the black or the hard anodizing? I've never seen any of these rims in person.

echelon_john
02-22-2013, 03:46 PM
They look a little darker in person to me, but this is the color:

http://cache0.bigcartel.com/product_images/74502477/Archetype-5-wm.jpg