PDA

View Full Version : Cable guide And ferrule question - And one about DT cable stops

Crackerkorean
02-18-2013, 10:59 PM
So I am trying to finish up my bike and I noticed there are some ferrules stuck in the frame of my Colorado II. I got a jagwire RACER kit BTW.

The one on the chain stay was easy enough to remove but I could not put the housing into the cable with the ferrules provided, but it fits without. The ferrule that was in there had a step down to fit into the stop. Not quite sure what I should do.

I have a similar problem with the internal routing on the TT. Provided ferrule does not fit but housing alone fits nicely. There is a ferrule stuck in the exit of the internal routing. I tried quickly removing the ferrule with no luck.

Lastly onto the DT cable stops. These seem to be the Dura ACE ones. I wanted to take them off to give them a polish and noticed the screw for the drive side one was missing. I tried removing it with no luck. Would something like PB blaster help out?

jtakeda
02-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Usually on internally routed frames, you dont use a ferrule. If the ferrule fits in the top tube perfectly then use it.

As for the step down ferrule in the back, use it. You'll need it and the metal ones are better than the plastic ones.

Downtube shifters-I've had luck gently tapping the cable stop to knock it loose.
I usually just use my knuckle like I'm knocking on a door.

PS to get the ferrule out of the stop try pushing the housing through the hole to knock it out or use a paper clip.

oliver1850
02-19-2013, 03:10 AM
The brass ferrules that come with Shimano casing fit my Colorado II.

There's another thread on this topic here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=120263

Crackerkorean
02-19-2013, 03:54 AM
These are metal, not sure if they are brass or not though.

oliver1850
02-19-2013, 02:44 PM
I don't know what the Jagwire ones are, but I wouldn't use aluminum down in those cable ports. AL + sweat next to steel is a bad combination.

The Shimano ones are 5.75 mm OD, for nominal 5 mm housing.