PDA

View Full Version : Last (hopefully) single speed question

Bruce K
11-10-2005, 06:52 AM
I found brakes from a freind (D-A 9 speed) for free so the cost of this project is going down.

I am breaking up an old cassette and will mount the 16-17 pinned pair of cogs, using the 17T cog for now.

But there seems to be some debate at the LBS. so here is my question:

Cow horns (currently on the bike with diacomp brake levers) or traditional road bars (I have a set of 3TTT Prima 199 with 105 levers mounted on them)?

The terrain around here rolls pretty wells with some significant hills to climb.

Handlebar opinions/advice greatly appreciated.

BK

Fixed
11-10-2005, 06:57 AM
bro i.m.h.o. use road bars cheers :beer:

Smiley
11-10-2005, 06:57 AM
Bruce go with the bull horns if your hands are comfortable reaching the brakes. I would have said BRAKE reach is the most important thing IF you were going to ride truly fixed since you need to have brake control and speed control but since your riding as a free wheeling thing then its what your most comfortable in the cock pit on. I for one like traditional bars for the look.

Good for you for making this project happen. Its fixed next :)

Bruce K
11-10-2005, 07:41 AM
Great now we're at 1 each! :rolleyes:

I've seen pictures of bikes on the gallery with both.

Reach is not an issue per se. Maybe over the course of a ride it might become one as I fatigue, but the frame/bar fit is virtually the same as my road bike if I use the road bars. The reach for the cow horns is a little longer but not uncomfortable.

I will probably swap the bars to the road version.

Thanks,

BK

znfdl
11-10-2005, 07:49 AM
Given that I do not know the type / distance of rides that you will ride, I would say go with traditional road bars, as you get more hand positions.

Samster
11-10-2005, 08:53 PM
For me, road bars offer exactly 2 positions: the tops and the drops.

Bull/cow-horns offer exactly 2 positions: the tops and the hooks.

If your riding with brake levers on the road bars, then you get the hoods as well, which makes 3 instead of 2 hand rests... but I don't have those...

So... If you like big variance in bend at the waist, go for the road bars.

If you pretty much want a one waist position and just want to move your hands around a bit, then go for the horns...

That's my amateur opinion.

--sam

Samster
11-10-2005, 08:56 PM
You can be superficial like me and get real track bars that only feel comfy on the (deep) drops... You may ache, but you'll look _really_ cool... :cool:

--sam

Fixed
11-10-2005, 10:18 PM
bro track bars (bullhorns) on track bikes road bars on road bikes you got track (drop outs) fork ? cheers :beer:

Too Tall
11-11-2005, 06:41 AM
Bruce, ditto...thumbs up for your fav. road bars and....(gasp) just try....just try one size smaller stem....GASP! So to repeat...put the saddle setback exactly the same as your road bike now use one size smaller stem and GASP add 1 cm spacer under the stem. This will prolly put you squarely in the drops and for fixed riding that's nice :) Caveat, if you currently are an in-the-drops-all-the-time kind of guy ignore this advice.

Bruce K
11-11-2005, 06:51 AM
Thanks for all the help. I don't have a ton of choices for bar placement up and down unless I use an adjustable stem. The steer tube came cut.

I think I am almost there. Hopefully the maiden voyage will be tomorrow. :banana:

I think to solve the missing brake part problem (see other thread) I may steal the 105 brakes from my TT bike and put the D-A brakes on it. I can install the missing part later as there are no TT's here until May.

They just won't quite maintain the "stealth" look of the all black, but that's a cross I will have to bear. :rolleyes:

BK

Samster
11-11-2005, 08:54 AM
I think I am almost there. Hopefully the maiden voyage will be tomorrow. :banana:

BK

you gotta show us a picture.

-sam

Bruce K
11-11-2005, 10:58 AM
It won't be as pretty as the Serottas, but I plan to.

Revised build as follows:

Raleigh R600 frame (cobalt blue)
Coda Stem
3TTT Prima 199 bars
105 levers
105 black brakes (as I said, "gift" D-A 9 speed brakes went to the TT bike)
??? Seatpost
San Marco Erx saddle (for now)
D-A 9 speed BB
D-A 9 speed cranks with T-A 39T chain ring (Blue)
17T rear cog
8 speed chain
OLD D-A pair spoke wheels (Tim Johnson/Team Saturn cross cast-offs)
Kenda Kaliente Tires

pics post ride.

BK

Bruce K
11-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Bike complete.

Maiden voyage is now tomorrow.

Pictures posted on the Custom Gallery.

BK