PDA

View Full Version : Ant + Computer Recommendations --Help?

gianni
02-18-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm scrambling to get an Ant + display for my quarq. I was sold on a garmin edge 500 but discovered the cycleops joule GPS and wondering which one to buy.

I see a lot of garmins, but am soliciting opinions (pros/cons) between the two units or is there a possible third option?

Any feedback would be much appreciated --Thanks.

scrubadub
02-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Have you looked at DC Rainmaker's reviews of the two? He's probably the one with the most experience and if his review doesn't answer your question, he is very friendly and accessible.

AngryScientist
02-18-2013, 02:49 PM
to add to the confusion, garmin just released the 510 and 810. i have no experience with those, but i have the 800 that i'm using with power now. great set-up. the 500 is the budget option, but consider the 800 if you suspect you will need maps or turn-by-turn directions. having the 800 has really de-stressed my rides where i dont know where i'm going.

Bruce K
02-18-2013, 03:18 PM
I use a Joule GPS with my Quark. I had issues with the Garmin 500 wanting to shut off every time I stopped pedaling for more than a few seconds.

I have an early Quark and things are supposed to be better now but I like the way the Joule works.

But just to mess you up, the GPS functions are better in the Garmin (and I am a PT/Joule fan).

BK

thegunner
02-18-2013, 03:32 PM
I use a Joule GPS with my Quark. I had issues with the Garmin 500 wanting to shut off every time I stopped pedaling for more than a few seconds.

I have an early Quark and things are supposed to be better now but I like the way the Joule works.

But just to mess you up, the GPS functions are better in the Garmin (and I am a PT/Joule fan).

BK

definitely a dud, mine is totally fine for coasting long distances (and i slack a lot!). my rec would be to get the 500/800 instead of the 510/810, they added features, but a lot of them require a phone connection and add little utility.

gavingould
02-18-2013, 09:53 PM
I use a garmin 500 with my quarq. No issues really.

gianni
02-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks for all the input. I think I will try the edge 500 and if I don't like it then Joule.

Cheers,