PDA

View Full Version : Tires, Tires, Tires

SpokeValley
02-18-2013, 01:00 PM
I know this subject has been whipped like a rented mule, and tires are entirely an individual preference, but I'm curious if there is any kind of favorite BRAND of road tires that any of you like for training/racing that demonstrate a good balance of performance and longevity.

Of course I'm thinking of some new skins as the spring approaches and wonder if a different tire would make me a speedier old guy on the group rides...aside from getting more miles, of course.

I've had good luck/mileage with Michelin pros and Vredestein fortezza tri comp, 700 x 25 or 23, and tend to stick with them. I put about 110lbs psi in.

It ain't broke, but there's a lot of good stuff out there; is there another brand that's worth a shot? Haven't tried Continentals, Vittorias, and several others.

dave thompson
02-18-2013, 01:07 PM
You might consider the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX. Been using them for a season, no issues, no flats and apparently very good mileage.

Hank Scorpio
02-18-2013, 01:20 PM
I personally find the Vittoria Evo CX to be the best riding road tire although they are very prone to cuts in my experience. The Vitt Pave's arent much better. Right now I have a set of Veloflex Paves and they ride great as well but I am skepticals to their cut resistance. They also seem to measure below the stated size while most of the Vitt's I have mounted and used measure above.

Maybe try the Mich Pro 4? I had a pair in 25 but they were much larger and rubbed on my chainstays.

Ken Robb
02-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Various Continentals like GP 4000 etc. work well for me. I suggest you try running lower pressure and see how you like it. I'm 200 lbs. and ride on 90-100 psi (front/rear) in my 700x25 clinchers except when I'm lazy and going for a short ride without doing more than pinching the tires between thumb and fingers. On these lazy days I probably have 75-85 psi and have never had a pinch flat.

I also rode Ultra Gatorskins in 700x25 and 28 with no flats and long life. I'm not fast so if they sacrifice some performance compared to "race" tires I didn't notice.

yetitotheheady
02-18-2013, 01:29 PM
If you go with Continental try the Grand Prix 4000s or standard 4000. I don't think there is any difference any more. I like them a lot, feel fast and grip is great.

I just picked a pair of Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 28's for a new bike I built up based on the reviews I've seen on this forum. Time will tell but a quick loop around the neighborhood had me thinking this is the fastest, most comfortable tire ever. Not that I've tried anything else but a Jack Brown.

FlashUNC
02-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Had really good luck with Conti's clinchers and now tubulars. Love their stuff.

Tony T
02-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Conti 4000s clincher

Black Dog
02-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Conti 4000s clincher

This is the best all around clincher.

Grant McLean
02-18-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm curious if there is any kind of favorite BRAND of road tires that any of you like for training/racing that demonstrate a good balance of performance and longevity.

Every tire design is a balance between performance and longevity.

What a good balance is will depend on external factors that are personal.
All these threads become a laundry list of the main tire brands.
The usual observations that conti tires are more durable and harsher riding,
Vittoria are more comfortable and more prone to cuts, and there are
other choices in between.

A good cyclist knows what works for them. The Internet fosters these
endless discussions, but won't answer the question of which is good for
you personally. The data is out there, make a choice and go ride 'em.

G

Grant McLean
02-18-2013, 02:24 PM
This is the best all around clincher.

You win ironic post of the day.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=124742

mtechnica
02-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Always had the best luck with continental. In fact no other brand has come close in consistency except vittoria but their tires are more fragile in general. Every michelin I've used has been fragile.

AngryScientist
02-18-2013, 03:55 PM
e and more prone to cuts, and there are
other choices in between.

A good cyclist knows what works for them. The Internet fosters these
endless discussions, but won't answer the question of which is good for
you personally. The data is out there, make a choice and go ride 'em.

Grant is of course correct on this one. the good news is that a new set of tires is really a low risk gamble. buy a set and ride them, not too much to lose, worst case, you hate them for whatever reason and chuck them before they are worn out.

mtechnica
02-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Grant is of course correct on this one. the good news is that a new set of tires is really a low risk gamble. buy a set and ride them, not too much to lose, worst case, you hate them for whatever reason and chuck them before they are worn out.

Or just save your time and money and get gp4000s, 4 seasons, or gatorskins right off the bat and enjoy many miles of good grip and flat resistance. Trying to get a better ride than a gp4000s in a clincher only leads to a compromise in durability, anyone that claims a gp4000s is too harsh should just move onto tabulars instead of wasting their time and money on clinchers that are worse in every possible way.

dekindy
02-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Hutchinson road tubeless clincher gets twice as many miles on the rear as a 4000S for this 200lb rider. Wonder if the regular Intensive clincher would be as durable and ride as nice? I can't tell much if any difference between a tubeless Intensive and Fusion 3 although I put Fusion 3 on the front just because the front tire gets so much better mileage.

Guess if you wanted to run tubeless you could do a tubeless conversion after verifying your rims are compatible of course if you do not have 2-way clincher rims. Stan's could help you with the compatibility information.

Grant McLean
02-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Or just save your time and money and get gp4000s, 4 seasons, or gatorskins right off the bat and enjoy many miles of good grip and flat resistance. Trying to get a better ride than a gp4000s in a clincher only leads to a compromise in durability, anyone that claims a gp4000s is too harsh should just move onto tabulars instead of wasting their time and money on clinchers that are worse in every possible way.

I strongly disagree. My opinion is those Conti tires are bricks, and have no
place on a nice bike, I personally have no durability issues with Vittoria corsa cx
Clinchers with latex tubes. Speak for yourself, not me!

G

poff
02-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Hutchinson road tubeless clincher gets twice as many miles on the rear as a 4000S for this 200lb rider. Wonder if the regular Intensive clincher would be as durable and ride as nice? I can't tell much if any difference between a tubeless Intensive and Fusion 3 although I put Fusion 3 on the front just because the front tire gets so much better mileage.

Guess if you wanted to run tubeless you could do a tubeless conversion after verifying your rims are compatible of course if you do not have 2-way clincher rims. Stan's could help you with the compatibility information.

I could only get 1.3-1.5K miles on Hutchinson tubeless. I am getting 2K+ miles on GP4000s 23mm and even more on 25mm. A lot of climbing though.

Echo
02-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Already been said by a few people in here, but the Conti GP4000 clincher has served me well for quite a while now. Have over 1000 miles on my current pair and they seem just fine!

luno
02-18-2013, 07:24 PM
vittoria pave evo..the choice of balleurs everywhere

http://cdn3.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2010/04/12/1/cofidis_look_tire_600.jpg

Llewellyn
02-18-2013, 07:50 PM
I strongly disagree. My opinion is those Conti tires are bricks, and have no
place on a nice bike, I personally have no durability issues with Vittoria corsa cx
Clinchers with latex tubes. Speak for yourself, not me!

G

Geezzz, why are people getting so tetchy :eek: :confused:.

Is the cold weather starting to get to people????

To the OP - Conti GP4000S's as well IMO

jr59
02-18-2013, 08:01 PM
I have had good luck with the new michelin pro endurance tires.

No cuts no flats so far. Although I don't have a lot of miles on them yet.

Ride very nicely!

one60
02-18-2013, 08:12 PM
in my experience the ultremos provide a superior ride to the conti GP4000 and michelin pro race 3, by a long shot.

I too thought Conti's were great til I rode these. Now I understand what others mean by the term brick. While the conti's may have longer lifespan, the trade-off isn't worth it. The ultremo's have 2500-3000 miles on them & will last another 2000. Flat resistance has been just fine. And the 2013 model is marketed as an improvement in rolling resistance and flat resistance. Plus the logos are modest almost subtle unlike the previous version

67-59
02-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Conti GP4000s.

spaced_ghost
02-18-2013, 08:48 PM
i'm looking for the same thing, but in a 28 or so. I rode Vittoria Randos for years. They are great commuting tires for durability and flats. I had two pairs in a row that lasted two years of commuting 20 miles a day, without a single flat. but they roll like molasses. heaviest, slowest riding tire ever (for a road tire). I was hoping for something in skinwall, though. How is the flat protection on Jack Browns? Schwalbe Marathon Supremes?

gospastic
02-18-2013, 09:02 PM
I have had good luck with my latest pair of Veloflex Corsas. I have around 4000 miles on them with very few flats. The rear is about ready for replacement but I'm happy with the mileage and the fact that the ride is amazing with latex tubes.

Black Dog
02-18-2013, 09:24 PM
You win ironic post of the day.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=124742

Thanks Grant. I should have put one of these ;) at the end of my post. For the record, I do not think that there is a best tire because they are not made from high modulus carbon fibre...they are using that old 1990's BC woven fabric technology...;)

oldpotatoe
02-19-2013, 07:33 AM
I know this subject has been whipped like a rented mule, and tires are entirely an individual preference, but I'm curious if there is any kind of favorite BRAND of road tires that any of you like for training/racing that demonstrate a good balance of performance and longevity.

Of course I'm thinking of some new skins as the spring approaches and wonder if a different tire would make me a speedier old guy on the group rides...aside from getting more miles, of course.

I've had good luck/mileage with Michelin pros and Vredestein fortezza tri comp, 700 x 25 or 23, and tend to stick with them. I put about 110lbs psi in.

It ain't broke, but there's a lot of good stuff out there; is there another brand that's worth a shot? Haven't tried Continentals, Vittorias, and several others.

Vittoria Open CX, Diamante or Rubino Pro

Conti 4000s, 'new' GrandPrix

all in 23 and the far superior 25...

Unless you are heavy, I think 110psi is too high. I am .1 offa ton and on my wet weather bike, Vittoria Randos and Rubino Pros, I use 95psi.

BSUdude
02-19-2013, 08:00 AM
Conti 4000s clincher

X2. Relatively Low CRR, I've found them to be not easily cut up on bad roads and they corner well and handle well in adverse (wet) conditions too. Good tires.

cmg
02-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Schwalbe Ultremos rear and conti supersonics for the front. The Scwalbe last around 2000miles and the conti supers around 1200. both at the light weight range. The schwalbes have good punture resistance and at around $35-$45 a good value. Vittoria Open CX tear/get cut easily, are expensive, lasts about 1200 miles. Diamante prolights have great road grip and that same grip picks up debris like crazy, get cuts easily. The conti 4000 are stiff/bricks but great mileage, great grip but at 20-30 grams heavier than the Schwalbes. Since i'm not going to lose weight my tires will have to. and yes always use 50-55 gram inner tubes. Once the glass cuts the tire the inner tube isn't going to save you, so quit trying. My opinion, yours may be different.

Mr Cabletwitch
02-19-2013, 09:46 AM
I've never had good luck with GP4000/s tires. My wife uses them and they last forever and work great for her, but I've only ever gotten 1200 miles out of a set before they started getting lots of flats, had this happen to two different sets. one of the sets the bead started coming apart as well. Right now I'm using Michelin Krylion carbons in 25 and while they don't ride any nicer than the GP4000s they are holding up a lot better already have 1200 miles on them and never a flat (knock on wood). I think I might even get another summer out of them.

keep in mind though I'm under 200 lbs for the first time in a decade so I'm no lightweight. My wife weighs 135 and loves the contis and will be getting another set in the spring. I will probably end up with the PRO 4 Endurance tire in a 25. In the end I think it comes down to personal preference and the rider.

bheight1
02-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Challenge Triathlon, superb rolling resist and pretty good durability depending on your roads

dekindy
02-19-2013, 09:03 PM
I could only get 1.3-1.5K miles on Hutchinson tubeless. I am getting 2K+ miles on GP4000s 23mm and even more on 25mm. A lot of climbing though.

INTENSIVE?? model. Hard to believe our experience would be so different! Maybe we can figure this out.

How much do you weigh and what air pressure? I weigh 200 pounds. I would typically put 100 pounds pressure in a GP400S and 95 pounds in a Hutchinson Intensive road tubeless. Typically 1,500 miles on a 4000S and 3,000-3,500 miles on an Intensive. This is for the rear only. 2-3 times the mileage on a front versus rear on both brands.

Do you rotate tires? I do not.

I always used the 4000s models with black chili compound for increased durability.

zennmotion
02-20-2013, 10:53 AM
in my experience the ultremos provide a superior ride to the conti GP4000 and michelin pro race 3, by a long shot.

I too thought Conti's were great til I rode these. Now I understand what others mean by the term brick. While the conti's may have longer lifespan, the trade-off isn't worth it. The ultremo's have 2500-3000 miles on them & will last another 2000. Flat resistance has been just fine. And the 2013 model is marketed as an improvement in rolling resistance and flat resistance. Plus the logos are modest almost subtle unlike the previous version

Does anyone have a real (caliper measured) width for the Ultremos? Specifically for the 28c's? It's time to replace my Conti 4 seasons 28's which measure 25-26mm. I have no complaints about the Contis, although I tend to ride them on the soft side mostly due to laziness- need to replace my Silca pista pump gasket STAT. A real 28mm would be nice-

nathanong87
02-20-2013, 10:55 AM
i train with gatorskins on the rear 23c at 110psi and gp4000s on the front at like 100psi 23c. only 146lbs here, wear is good imho. i'm probably into the 2000-2500 miles before hitting the wear indicators.

probikekit makes running gp4000s regularly doable imho.

i've had good luck with puncture resistance on both models above honestly. better than mich pro series tires.

speed difference? i dunno.

dave thompson
02-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Does anyone have a real (caliper measured) width for the Ultremos? Specifically for the 28c's? It's time to replace my Conti 4 seasons 28's which measure 25-26mm. I have no complaints about the Contis, although I tend to ride them on the soft side mostly due to laziness- need to replace my Silca pista pump gasket STAT. A real 28mm would be nice-

The Ultremo ZX 700x28 measures a real 28mm across when mounted on a standard rim. I also have them mounted on a Velocity A23 rim (23mm wide) where they measure 31MM across.

ClutchCargo
02-20-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm on tubs now but always liked Veloflex Open Paves. Don't think they make 'em very wide, though.
But why are you putting 110 psi in clinchers? Do you weigh like 280 lbs. or something?

zennmotion
02-20-2013, 12:40 PM
The Ultremo ZX 700x28 measures a real 28mm across when mounted on a standard rim. I also have them mounted on a Velocity A23 rim (23mm wide) where they measure 31MM across.

Thanks- I think I found my next set of tires. Too bad about the stupid billboard sized logos, reminds me of men's "fashion" underwear waistbands. And I'm not sure I'm really worthy of "ultremo" anything on a bicycle, I can probably pull off "schwalbe" - yeah I'm a schwalbe kinda guy, but "ultremo" seems like hyperbole even for the Tues Night Worlds town line sprint that I won three years ago...