PDA

View Full Version : Can the UCI stop seeming so ridiculous?

CPP
02-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Exclusion of the 2nd ranked pro tour team in the pro tour with the number 1 worldwide ranked rider for (get this) "ethical" reasons

18 pro tour teams in the pro tour. No 19 pro tour teams in the pro tour

Crusade against lawyer tabs

Lancegate

etc, etc

Or, is it just me?

Rueda Tropical
02-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Exclusion of the 2nd ranked pro tour team in the pro tour with the number 1 worldwide ranked rider for (get this) "ethical" reasons

Ethics and the UCI should never appear in the same sentence. It's like dopers who have not yet been exposed expressing outrage and anger over dopers who have been caught.

slidey
02-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Could you link an article? Might be useful to understand the level of incredulity of the UCI now.

MattTuck
02-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Great strategic thinker, Sun Tzu, said “Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.”

Of course, if the UCI had any ability to form and execute a strategy, it wouldn't be in the mess it is now.

FlashUNC
02-18-2013, 12:17 PM
It has everything to do with Katusha's ownership and management, and their publicly stated intentions to try to overthrow the current regime at the UCI.

Not that Tchmil and company would be any better, mind you...

jr59
02-18-2013, 12:25 PM
in answer to your question.

NO!

CPP
02-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Could you link an article? Might be useful to understand the level of incredulity of the UCI now.

Just look at the last 6 months of Velo news/cycling news web sites.

slidey
02-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Ok, I just read the article and besides breaking with tradition of 18 pro-tour teams, I don't see anything so incredible really. How did that number of 18 pro-tour teams get decided anyway? It seems it'll be a little harder for race organisers, but with every new change there needs to be some added work. In short, UCI are a bunch of morons, yes, but I fail to see the problem here.

slidey
02-18-2013, 12:31 PM
This one, yeah? http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-confirms-19-worldtour-teams-for-2013

Just look at the last 6 months of Velo news/cycling news web sites.

CPP
02-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Ok, I just read the article and besides breaking with tradition of 18 pro-tour teams, I don't see anything so incredible really. How did that number of 18 pro-tour teams get decided anyway? It seems it'll be a little harder for race organisers, but with every new change there needs to be some added work. In short, UCI are a bunch of morons, yes, but I fail to see the problem here.

From velonews:
"The move could have wide-reaching impacts, as WorldTour events are required by the UCI to invite every one of the ProTeams. These events complement the top-tier squads with Pro Continental teams. Events including the Giro d’Italia and Tour de France will now be required to invite 19 teams, leading to one less wildcard slot or one additional team in each race."

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-18-2013, 01:23 PM
"Can the UCI stop seeming so ridiculous?"

No.

Vientomas
02-18-2013, 01:26 PM
No, not when the head of the organization is a clown. Clowns, by their very nature, are ridiculous.

slidey
02-18-2013, 02:38 PM
I did read the article, and I still can't quite grip the problem of inviting 19 or lets say even 25 teams instead of 18. It seems to me that the problems listed are just the laments of lazy organisers who don't want to do any extra work. Am I trivializing this or am I missing something else much more obvious?

Speaking about just the move, as long as the process is valid, what's wrong with expanding the sport? Moreover, this move isn't very shocking is it? Sponsors have been leaving the sport primarily out of discontent for UCI's ass-hattedness towards administrating the sport...the only way UCI can try to compensate for lost revenue is by including in more teams.

From velonews:
"The move could have wide-reaching impacts, as WorldTour events are required by the UCI to invite every one of the ProTeams. These events complement the top-tier squads with Pro Continental teams. Events including the Giro d’Italia and Tour de France will now be required to invite 19 teams, leading to one less wildcard slot or one additional team in each race."

CPP
02-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Including more teams flirts with the saftey issue. Narrower roads, more round a bouts, higher speed; all, with more riders all out to try to prove something to their bosses.
Add team cars, staff, mechanics, screaming DS(for their guys to get to the front) Doctors ;) Gigantic buses, hotel rooms parking places.......................Organizers will have breakdowns.

The guy from the Giro calls it "all a big mess" (and he is italian!!!)

DreaminJohn
02-18-2013, 08:53 PM
I propose we rename this thread to, "Can't water stop being wet?" or something such-like.

jpw
02-19-2013, 05:22 AM
what ethical reasons?

CPP
02-19-2013, 05:46 AM
what ethical reasons?

They said that it had to do with the shady manner in which the team was being run. I know that Katusha are not the angels of the Pro Tour. They signed a contract to use Focus bikes and suddenly, mid season, they broke the contract and changed bikes! But, how can the UCI call the kettle black?

For me, the thing is and like the title of the post suggests, the UCI just always seem to appear ridiculous. I mean Lawyer Tabs...... come on It's like the Cops going on a parking violation crusade in a town where the crime rate is the highest in the country!

Ok, I'll stop now. Sorry