PDA

View Full Version : Vittoria Iso-Grip Tread Life?

cachagua
02-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Vittoria ...running a new compound on their high-end tires called "Iso-Grip," which they admit is fantastic for grip, but has zilch tread-life...

Well now I'm scared -- I was on the phone with Vittoria the other day and the guy told me the whole idea behind the new tread compound was to resist cuts and increase tread life. Said he was commuting on them and thoroughly abusing them, no problems, and never mentioned the word "grip". After his sales pitch, I was all set to buy some, but of course that's in the nature of a sales pitch, isn't it.

So some empiricism would be welcome right about now. Have any of us ridden the Iso-Grip tires enough to know if they're an improvement on the previous Vittorias, or otherwise?

cachagua
02-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Never mind, checked their web site and it doesn't make any particular claim for tread life, in fact rates it worse than the previous formulation.

Agenda for today: write 100 times on the chalkboard "Don't believe people who are selling you something", and then shop for tires.

Jaq
02-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Width and pressure make a difference, though I don't know how much. A 25mm Pave CG with Iso-grip at 85 lbs pressure might last as long as a 21mm Corsa Elite without Iso Grip at 95-100 lbs.