PDA

View Full Version : Fixed gear + hills

Dekonick
11-09-2005, 06:30 PM
OK -

Today I rode a short 20 miles, but I did it fixed. What size (or GI) do most of yall use for 6-8% grades?

I am using ~75 GI (39x14) and find that even on the downhill I can spin w/o bounce...but climbing is still tough (I weigh more than most of you little whippersnappers...and use a B-17!...yeah thats it!!! it's the Brooks that makes me slow!)

Would a 16 or 17t rear be a better bet?

I usually only ride the fixie (or fixxie, or fixee or however you spell it) on relatively flat terrain, but decided to try my commute - which has lotsa hills...in fact it is all hills. I dont think there is any stretch longer than half a mile without a hill to deal with.

I can do it with the 39x14 - just curious what others are using when they face the hills (Ellicott City, MD to West Friendship MD on Frederick RD if anyone cares)

Seems like no matter how steep you can just go reallllly slow and make it...

Fixed
11-09-2005, 06:41 PM
bro I use a 44 /16 but i'm fla the only hills are overpasses you made it are your knees o.k.? leave it on for a while and give it a couple of weeks i.m.h.o. cheers

vandeda
11-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Dekonick,

That's about what I run for gearing ... I have 46x16, which would be a 39x13.6. I don't know ... I just do a slow, rythmic climb. But ... I guess it helps that I'm one of those little whippersnappers at only 125 lbs or so, so I think that helps. The time it really kills me is when I'm pulling the BOB behind, but that's OK ... I do that instead of weight lifting (well, legs at least) ;)

Dan

znfdl
11-09-2005, 06:46 PM
I exclusively run a 42X17 which would be a 39X16. I can spin the 42X17 to the mid 30s without bouncing on my saddle, but it takes a fair amunt of practice to get to this point. Also, I am a natural spinner. Fixed gear bikes are great for hills.

Do you have cadence on you computer, if not you shuuld get a computer with cadence, as fixed gear riding is all about spinnging and smoothing out your predal stroke.

vandeda
11-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Do you have cadence on you computer, if not you shuuld get a computer with cadence, as fixed gear riding is all about spinnging and smoothing out your predal stroke.

or seeing how low you can go up the hills ... oh love them mid-20s sometimes ... is that considered spinning? I heard anything above 35 and your legs may fall off

dan

Too Tall
11-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Dek., since I know something about you...youz got no business on those gears. Honest, I recommend 66 gear inch until you have mastered that and are ready for 68-72 gear inch. Don't listen to Stu, he is an assasin on fixed gear and a natural born track bike rider.

Dekonick
11-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Thx TT - Ive been using this gearing with no issues other than slow on da hills...
but you seem to be in da know...so Ill get at least a 16 or 18t for the moment.

Knees are just fine.

My only concern is the downhill on the gearing you suggest - I believe that could result in cadence in the 140's or more...side streets and cars then become a little more of an issue. Ill give this another few weeks while I wait for the 18t BMX cog I ordered to arrive. Like I said, I feel fine, but know I would probably be better with different gearing.

Say - Josh - that reminds me. I was talking with Sandy...he wants to possibly ditch his CSI and go for a bike with track dropouts or at minimum horizontals (cour d'acier was what he was considering)

Before he does that perhaps you could take what he has and 'fix' his CSI. He has the parts minus some spacers (which I know you have somewhere in that puny little tiny shop...)

I figured he should at least try his CSI first -

Dustin
11-09-2005, 08:00 PM
40x17 for the commute here. I like to SPIN. My knees are happy, and I don't hate the hills.

znfdl
11-10-2005, 04:43 AM
Dek., since I know something about you...youz got no business on those gears. Honest, I recommend 66 gear inch until you have mastered that and are ready for 68-72 gear inch. Don't listen to Stu, he is an assasin on fixed gear and a natural born track bike rider.

Too Tall, the assasin here says that a 42X17 is I think a 68 inch gear. Up for a fixed gear ride this weekend? ;)

Smiley
11-10-2005, 07:01 AM
The red wine guy Stuart is a monster spinning a 68 gear inch bike. He sped past me riding a 75 gear inch combo and he claimed he was hung over. Anyway I started out at 70 gear inches and graduated to 75 cause I like to push one larger gear. I do carry a 16 rear cog as my back up in case I come to visit U. The Kogswell has a 4.5 cm rear drop out slot and it allows for a range of rear cogs. Try going to 68-70 GI and see if you like that .

Smiley
11-10-2005, 07:03 AM
Stuart , check out PPTC as they have a 40-50 miler fixee ride from Davidson P&R on the 12 th . I am thinking of doing it.

znfdl
11-10-2005, 07:10 AM
Smiley, thanks for the heads up, if I get a hall pass from my wife, I will be there.

jeffg
11-10-2005, 07:10 AM
is Ken Eichstaedt, who has ridden the Terrible Two double century on a fixed gear. 200 mile, 16,000 feet of climbing (much of it at 10% or greater with significant stretches at 15+%) and twisty, narrow, treacherous descents. I don't know what gear he uses, but he the man!

Rapid Tourist
11-10-2005, 07:25 AM
Wish I could join you guys for the 50 mile fixed ride but I'm tied up that day. We should plan a fixed Darnestown assault sometime soon Smiley :) :) .

42x17 is ideal for me. Spares the knees a bit.

Too Tall
11-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Sandy is skerd of me but I'll do the setup any time :) He could....gasp...have the csi converted with track dropouts and cold set to 120. Tom could do that for about the cost of a fancy schmancy eccentric axel wheelio.

djg
11-10-2005, 08:34 AM
I ride a 44 x16 around Northern Virginia and DC (72.5 with 700 x 25 tires, according to SB's gear caclulator). I'm not a very good intuitive judge of grades--it's hilly, but, as you probably know, not what anyone would call mountainous. Mostly, it seems fine as an all around gear. Once in a while I think something a gear or two easier would do, but my knees are fine.

TooTall is right--I rode with Stuart last weekend for the first time and he can wind up the pedals pretty quick.

Dekonick
11-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Sandy is skerd of me but I'll do the setup any time :) He could....gasp...have the csi converted with track dropouts and cold set to 120. Tom could do that for about the cost of a fancy schmancy eccentric axel wheelio.

That would answer him perfectly - Why would he be afraid of you? Did he find out about your deep well in the middle of the house and see the case of hand lotion sitting in the corner?

I am definitely going to drop to 68 to 70 gi for around here - 75 is just too much. Like I was saying, I can do it - knees are fine, but the pedal rotations get reallllly slow on some of the hills in this area. The good news is the new father weight I gained is starting to come off and my ride time has increased!!! Having my wife be a stay home mom may shrink the budget, but it is good for ride time, and great for the little guy. I can't wait until I can strap him in the trailer... only 6 more months to go...

Marron
11-10-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm another user of 44X16 for use in hilly terrain. In the Seattle area that includes long grades both up and down hill and that seems to be the best compromise to me. The only downside is that it takes something like a 160 - 170 rpm to spin it up to 30+ mph. The only time I have a problem with that is riding at Rainier where you have to hold that spin for 15 minutes at a stretch.

znfdl
11-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Smiley, I looked in the pedal patter and oculd not find the fixed gear ride. Do you have any other information.

Thanks.

Smiley
11-10-2005, 04:25 PM
send me a e-mail and I'll like you to the thread Dave and Diana started . OK Smiley

Sandy
11-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Could you send it to me please.

Sandy