PDA

View Full Version : Same Valley, down the road

maxn
02-17-2013, 01:38 PM
from Velotel (but a world of traffic and road works away)

I took advantage of the warm weather and rode along the Isere and then up to Mont St. Martin. There were throngs of people out along the river: young, old, even a peloton of kids i-- maybe nine or ten years old -- in team kit hammering along.

A few photos:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46877757/MSM2162013/IMG_4981.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46877757/MSM2162013/IMG_4983.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46877757/MSM2162013/IMG_4986.jpg

henrypretz
02-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Wow! Looks awesome.

choke
02-17-2013, 08:17 PM
You guys are blessed with such great roads.

v531xc
02-17-2013, 09:36 PM
that looks incredible! :eek:

velotel
02-18-2013, 02:52 AM
I'm impressed there's so much less snow down your way. Had no idea. The valley floor on this side of Grenoble is still white, even after yesterday. Looks like less snow up high too. You would have enjoyed my ride Saturday out of Goncelin. Lot of climbing. Fun descent. Cheers

maxn
02-18-2013, 05:42 AM
thanks guys! yeah, tons of nice roads. Like velotel, I feel lucky to be here.

velotel: yep, its mostly melted, except above 500m or so. I was tempted to go to Montaud by St. Quentin but think I'll give those N/NW climbs a little bit longer. Goncellin -- have you ridden from there up to the Col du Barioz?

Grant McLean
02-18-2013, 07:15 AM
Beautiful place!

velotel
02-18-2013, 10:02 AM
velotel: yep, its mostly melted, except above 500m or so. I was tempted to go to Montaud by St. Quentin but think I'll give those N/NW climbs a little bit longer. Goncellin -- have you ridden from there up to the Col du Barioz?
Yep, by all three roads. The third road is a little road that cuts across from the road between Goncelin and Allevard and joins the road from Allevard a couple or so K before the col. Steep climb but good fun and rarely ever any cars. The regular road from Allevard is a good climb too, easier but with its moments, but can be a bit loaded with cars. The little road is sweet. There's a road that goes way on high above the col, narrow, paved forest road that finally ends at a cabin and after that it's a non-paved forest road that's still excellent for road bikes. The col to the cabin isn't super interesting as mostly it's in a forest so views are limited but higher it's nice. Mostly easy riding too.
The descent from Barioz to Allevard is excellent, as in way fast, lots of perfect bike turns, definitely a place for passing cars. Good fun. From Barioz to Theys is fun but from Theys to Goncelin kind of sucks. They buried water or sewer or something in the road and did it on the side going down and it just happens to be the line cyclists ride. So regularly you've got manhole covers. Makes for a jarring ride. Better to take the road across the hill from Theys toward Huertiers and then take the Huertiers road down to Goncelin. Which by the by is a fine climb.
You need to come this side of Grenoble.