PDA

View Full Version : Spinervals

gasman
11-09-2005, 11:37 AM
I will be off the bike for the next month. I can ride my trainer but I really,really, yes really hate being on it. I would rather ride outside when it is 34 degrees F and pouring rain. My maximum time on the trainer last winter was 3- 30min sessions because there was ice on the ground.

Someone recommended Spinervals tapes and a HR monitor to help focus my training. What do others think of the spinerval DVDs and which ones do you think are the best? I am looking to improve my climbing and the three fast twitch fibers I have in my legs.

SGP
11-09-2005, 11:43 AM
but, when my wife is on her treadmill i spin along side of her. she's said that it really helps her stay motivated, and i get to sneek in a work out that i normally wouldn't have time for.

we'll frequently watch movies on dvd. to make it seem like a real work out do big gear "bad guy" sprints :bike:

mikemets
11-09-2005, 11:44 AM
I will be off the bike for the next month. I can ride my trainer but I really,really, yes really hate being on it. I would rather ride outside when it is 34 degrees F and pouring rain. My maximum time on the trainer last winter was 3- 30min sessions because there was ice on the ground.

Someone recommended Spinervals tapes and a HR monitor to help focus my training. What do others think of the spinerval DVDs and which ones do you think are the best? I am looking to improve my climbing and the three fast twitch fibers I have in my legs.

I've used the SPINeRVALS tapes for the past 2 winters, and think they are very good. I too HATE the trainer, and will ride in any temp to avoid it, but the tapes work. What's nice about them is that most of them are only 40-45 minutes long, and at the end, you're toast. A very efficient use of your time in my opinion. Look at the website as there are many to choose from, and are pretty specific in focus.

I have at least 6, and like the "Uphill Grind" in particular.

OldDog
11-09-2005, 12:00 PM
From the Spinerval website...

100 Mile Spinervals Challenge!
Are you up for an EXTRAORDINARY challenge? Spinervals and Coach Troy are looking for about 30 fit, motivated and enthusiastic athletes to take part in our newest video production, Spinervals 26.0 - The Hardcore Hundred! It's important to know however that your TOTALLY INSANE feat of riding for almost 6 hours on the trainer will be documented forever on high quality DVD for all to see!

I'll be participating...refilling waterbottles :D

vaxn8r
11-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Where is Jeffg? Gasman needs some trainer tips. Heh!

bostondrunk
11-09-2005, 04:28 PM

You can definetily get a good workout, but I find them intensly boring. I prefer to watch a TDF dvd or something like that..

gasman
11-09-2005, 04:42 PM
You can definetily get a good workout, but I find them intensly boring. I prefer to watch a TDF dvd or something like that..

Thanks for the replies.
Yes BD I enjoy watching TdF videos but even that gets boring.Movies are OK also but I kind of just spin easily and don't really work out. I'm sure the Spinervals will seem "fresh" on the first viewing or two but lots of people must like them because the prices they want for them on e-Bay seem to approach retail !!
Go figure.

gasman
11-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Where is Jeffg? Gasman needs some trainer tips. Heh!

No you need to give me your secret for sitting on the trainer !!

JasonF
11-09-2005, 04:52 PM

BD is dead on. I worked out with the "Uphill Grind" this morning on my Lemond spin bike. Pretty boring, but it got the job done.

Sandy
11-09-2005, 05:48 PM
I have a suggestion for you- Try some spin classes instead. Try a few back to back spin classes. You get music, a leader who is pushing you, others that are doing what you are doing and some really great looking females to look at (if you are a male).

Sandy

SManning
11-09-2005, 06:11 PM
When I was training last winter, I was on the trainer 4 days a week with two days in the weight room. I would do one mountain bike ride in the freezing cold and snow with some friends and teammates. My coach would structure 1 1/2-2 hour rides in 35 minute chunks. With organizing a workout in small chunks, it was easier to keep going because I would think of them as little 35 minute workouts, instead of 2 hours on the trainer. Once I made it through two 35 minute intervals, then it was easy to complete the last one. What's the point in quitting, if you've almost made it to the end? The data on the powertap and the knowledge that my husband or my coach could check on me, also kept me quite focused. I also would find some great music and a show to get myself absorbed in, and spin away. I watched The Triplets of Belleville, Josh Groban at the Greek, 24, Friends and Malcolm in the Middle more than I care to know last winter. It worked and I came out of the basement a much stronger and fit racer.

Good Luck with trainer time. It's a bear I know, but a necessary evil.

Sarah

BarryG
11-09-2005, 07:02 PM
What do others think of the spinerval DVDs and which ones do you think are the best?
I like the pre-Spinerval CycleRobx effort by Coach Troy. It's a classic with a not-too-shabby supporting cast.

"Come on Tyler, don't let that mountain biker beat ya . . ."

scrooge
11-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Can someone tell me a little more what the format is like? How do they guide you? Tell you which HR zone to be in, gear, rpms? Or just say "go hard, go harder..."?
I'm also wondering about the variety in workouts. My impression from looking at the website was that they were all pretty tough--not exactly the kind of thing I'd want to do every day (or even several times a week) when trying to build up base miles.

BarryG
11-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Can someone tell me a little more what the format is like? How do they guide you?
It's been many moons, but I think they show you both a gear ratio for experts and for wimps as well as calling for a perceived effort on a scale of 20 as well as cadence suggestions. The coach puts you in an imaginary situation and exhorts you in his own inimitable way. There's also a music soundtrack.

Yada, yada.

Too Tall
11-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Gasman, for your needs the DVDs are an excellent choice. You'll need lots of variety or you won't workout. Suggest doing some structured workouts from a coach or a book with a tape of TDF playing for variety...mix it up alot and set some goals NOW don't just "workout".

Dr. Doofus
11-09-2005, 07:27 PM
dfoo's trainer secrets:

1) no tv or dvd

2) no music

3) no whining

4) break the time up into 30 minute chunks: :30 on the hoods, :30 on the drops, :30 with the front wheel up, yada, yada...

its winter

you do long rides

you can do long rides on the trainer

just get on with it

PBWrench
11-09-2005, 07:43 PM
I like "No Slackers Allowed". Coach Troy gets kinda annoying on the 50th viewing, but hey, that could be the trainer.

bcm119
11-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Doof, are you still using that trick involving jalapenos?

gasman
11-09-2005, 09:53 PM
dfoo's trainer secrets:

1) no tv or dvd

2) no music

3) no whining

4) break the time up into 30 minute chunks: :30 on the hoods, :30 on the drops, :30 with the front wheel up, yada, yada...

its winter

you do long rides

you can do long rides on the trainer

just get on with it

Dear Doc-
You are a much tougher simian than I.

gasman
11-09-2005, 09:54 PM
I have a suggestion for you- Try some spin classes instead. Try a few back to back spin classes. You get music, a leader who is pushing you, others that are doing what you are doing and some really great looking females to look at (if you are a male).

Sandy

Oh spin classes !

"I like to watch."-Chauncey Gardiner
:D

809stockz
11-09-2005, 10:04 PM
I have two Spinerval DVD's and like them for what they are. I am not much for riding inside but when you live in cold weather I do what I need to do much to my chagrin.

dehoopta
11-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Unlike the guys who are either single, no kids or empty nesters, I do a lot of time on the trainer even in the best of weather. I HATE training indoors, both cycling or treadmill. I refuse to do a treadmill. I will run at 5:30 AM at 15 degrees, but won't cycle in the dark. After about 20 minutes on the trainer, I am ready to slit my wrists.

I know I will get flamed for saying this, but I like the Carmichael Training Systems videos (I admit to never trying Spinnervals) I got with my CyclOps trainer. It keeps me training, versus just spinning lightly while watching TV, a movie, listening to music or continuing medical education tapes. It is all interval training. 7 sets of 2 min on, 1 min off, 3 sets of 2 min on, 2 min off, and 5 sets of 1 min on, 30 sec off. All at a specified cadence and max HR. I am far more motivated to work hard. I prefer the Crit and Time Trial DVDs. The Sprint on is OK. I havent even looked at the MTN Bike or Climbing DVDs. Yes Carmichael says, "just like Lance" too much and Dean Golich says "electrolyte Dur-ank, carbohydrate Dur-ank" at minute 1:13, but it beats anything I have used.

I recommend a rear mounted sensor to get speed and cadence. I use the Cateye CD300DW, but would love the PowerTap.

Just my $0.02, let the flames begin

gasman
11-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Too Tall- Your thoughts are excellent. I need structure to help me get through a workout on the trainer.

Dehoopta- I also find I just sit and spin watching a movie or reading. I won't flame you about the CC tapes. I've never seen them and if they work for you, why should I say anything except "good on you mate !" ?

Dr. Doofus
11-10-2005, 04:52 AM
Doof, are you still using that trick involving jalapenos?

switched to snorting lines of cayenne

keno
11-10-2005, 06:50 AM
I've got several Spinervals, a few CTS and one that's better than all of them for a tough workout and it's Marty Nothstein's "Training Day". As to Spinervals, "Time Trial Special", as I remember is my fave among annoying Coach Troy's work.

Another suggestion, mix your indoor workouts between the trainer, with tapes, and rollers.

keno

mikemets
11-10-2005, 07:28 AM
I like "No Slackers Allowed". Coach Troy gets kinda annoying on the 50th viewing, but hey, that could be the trainer.

Yeah, and my wife and kids find coach Troy even more annoying than I do, but the tapes do work.

gasman
11-13-2005, 10:30 PM
My eye surgery went fine. I ordered the "No Slackers Allowed" DVD but my retina doc says I can't even get on the trainer until next Thursday. I can't be on the road until next month. AAARRRRGGGHH !!!
Thanks for the recomendations.

At least my vision is better, or will be in a few weeks.

Now I'm going to snort some cayenne like the Doof.

bcm119
11-13-2005, 10:42 PM
I feel for you Dave. I was off the bike for 5 weeks, but mostly in September, when the weather was perfect! It was bad. Now I'm back on the bike, in the rain. This coming week we're having no rain and high pressure...which means a solid 39 degree fog all week! :crap: