PDA

View Full Version : Jerks! (not THE JERK)

gary135r
11-09-2005, 11:07 AM
I was out riding yesterday when some fine upstanding citizens decided it would be great if they threw a box of french fries or whatever it was at me.
I am sure these things happen to others. Has anybody been able to get revenge by getting licence plate numbers or something like that. I can only imagine if something like that caused a catastrophic accident. :no:

JasonF
11-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Yes, if you have the plate number, call the police immediately. It is assault and battery. Were there any witnesses? It will eventually boil down to your word against theirs, but a visit to the offender's home by a uniformed police officer may just scare the s*&t out of them - especially if they were high-schoolers and the mom answers the door.

coylifut
11-09-2005, 11:27 AM
I was out riding a few months ago when some neck threw a half full bottle of soda at me with the top off. Hit me right in the head and the soda doused me pretty good. It exhibited no emotional reaction. I just kept my hands on the bars and pedaled on. I knew the perp would be looking in the r-view mirror to see if they hit me and I wanted them to believe they didn't. In my mind, it didn't happen and I finished one of the most enjoyable and epic rides of the season.

Here's my take. People like that are going to get more enjoyment out of your reaction than the actual event. If you can rob them of that enjoyment it's less likely they'll do it to the next cyclist they see. Don’t worry they’ll pay for it. Karma’s a cruel equalizer.

cpg
11-09-2005, 12:04 PM
In my younger angry days, I once chased down a car that cut me off and I beat on their hood with my frame pump. Scared the crap out of the driver and rendered my pump useless. I felt proud of myself at the time but now I feel stupid and know better. Yes, get their plate number and turn them in. Probably nothing will happen to them but you won't have to buy a new pump.

Curt

Doc Austin
11-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Karma’s a cruel equalizer.

Yes, but it would be alot more satisfying if you could see it in action.

gary135r
11-09-2005, 12:40 PM
It exhibited no emotional reaction

I wish I could say the same. I gave the typical bird. It would have been better in hindsight to check my emotions.

Jeff N.
11-09-2005, 12:44 PM
They need to all be executed! Jeff N.

Kevan
11-09-2005, 01:03 PM
but this once happened to Sandy too, and not one fry hit the ground.

That's impressive!

coylifut
11-09-2005, 01:18 PM
I wish I could say the same. I gave the typical bird. It would have been better in hindsight to check my emotions.

It's actually a bit more simple than that. I assume everyone in a vehicle is potentially armed. Therefore, I decline all random confrontations. If I can't occupy the high ground of the battle field, I want no part of it.

JohnS
11-09-2005, 01:27 PM
:) I assume everyone in a vehicle is potentially armed.
Which is why you should be too. Check out this baby. Titanium, scandium and stainless steel all wrapped up together. Serotta doesn't even have that!
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14765&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y
Plus, it's only 12oz so it won't slow you down.

MikeM
11-09-2005, 01:32 PM
I remember one ride I did during the winter, which thankfully entailed that I had full winter gear on! I was riding home after beating the hell out of myself on my fixed bike when some lovely individual decided that the best thing to do would be to spit on me! I was too blown to chase the :butt: hole down.

What is with these people?! I just don't get it, it's not like I was even taking up any room! Thankfully here in pretty it's not nearly as likely that they'll be carrying a gun as in America!

Mike

JasonF
11-09-2005, 01:41 PM
:)
Which is my you should be too. Check out this baby. Titanium, scandium and stainless steel all wrapped up together. Serotta doesn't even have that!
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14765&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y
Plus, it's only 12oz so it won't slow you down.

Wow, that would fit in a jersey back pocket. And since I'm packing heat, I can leave the cellphone at home!

bcm119
11-09-2005, 01:49 PM
It's actually a bit more simple than that. I assume everyone in a vehicle is potentially armed. Therefore, I decline all random confrontations. If I can't occupy the high ground of the battle field, I want no part of it.

Right. You never know.

Bill Bove
11-09-2005, 01:51 PM
I have a buddy who was a private detective, he would look up the plate for me, tell me the perps address, where he worked, where his wife worked, where his kids went to school, pretty scary huh? i would draw the line at the kids but I'd call the wife at work and scold her or send them pizza's at work and home then worry about them being out looking for me where ever it was that the origanal incident occurred. Like Coylifut says, you need to occupy the high ground in any confrontation.

Ken Robb
11-09-2005, 01:53 PM
the last guy who assaulted me with his car while I was riding was too close to home when he did it and his car was very distinctive. He took a run at me in reverse after he missed me when I pulled in to the curb the first time. I was a bit perturbed and tried dialling 911 but the line was busy. He got the idea though and sped off. He had no license plates so a report was useless.

Fixed
11-09-2005, 01:55 PM
I was out riding a few months ago when some neck threw a half full bottle of soda at me with the top off. Hit me right in the head and the soda doused me pretty good. It exhibited no emotional reaction. I just kept my hands on the bars and pedaled on. I knew the perp would be looking in the r-view mirror to see if they hit me and I wanted them to believe they didn't. In my mind, it didn't happen and I finished one of the most enjoyable and epic rides of the season.

Here's my take. People like that are going to get more enjoyment out of your reaction than the actual event. If you can rob them of that enjoyment it's less likely they'll do it to the next cyclist they see. Don’t worry they’ll pay for it. Karma’s a cruel equalizer.
I agree things like that happen me almost everyday you have to have thick skin the only thing that gets me is when they yell the n word at me then watch out dude cheers :beer:

Argos
11-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Ok. I'm back from my forced seclusion following the Heras News.

I was riding on Saturday in my Disco kit (Whatever, I like there Classics team so suck it) and some lady driving in the opposite direction on this back country road leaned out her window and yelled.....

"I LOVE YOU!!!"

***? How do you plan on doing that. We were traveling in opposite directions, at relative speed of 50+ and that is what she takes the time to do?

Better then Coffee Cups I guess.

JohnS
11-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Ok. I'm back from my forced seclusion following the Heras News.

I was riding on Saturday in my Disco kit (Whatever, I like there Classics team so suck it) and some lady driving in the opposite direction on this back country road leaned out her window and yelled.....

"I LOVE YOU!!!"

***? How do you plan on doing that. We were traveling in opposite directions, at relative speed of 50+ and that is what she takes the time to do?

Better then Coffee Cups I guess.
Come on, 'fess up, it was really your wife coming home from grocery shopping. :D

Argos
11-09-2005, 02:07 PM
....the only thing that gets me is when they yell the n word at me then watch out dude cheers :beer:

"n"? "Nice-Bike"? :D

Seriously though, that's wrong. If I remember correctly from the pic of your bike, your not a little guy either...

Gotta wonder what runs through their head.

It's the same for any group.... Why would you yell something derogatory at someone that can kick your ***? I only say inflamatory things to people I outweigh by 20+ lbs and have an inch or two on. It makes life easier for everyone except for that catagory of 130lbs midgets...... :D

coylifut
11-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Never Wrestle With A Pig ...
... you'll both get dirty, and only the pig will enjoy it. To this I would add that it soon becomes hard to tell the two of you apart

weisan
11-09-2005, 04:00 PM
... you'll both get dirty, and only the pig will enjoy it. To this I would add that it soon becomes hard to tell the two of you apart
Wise Indeed!

OldDog
11-09-2005, 04:09 PM

All the pigs I ever wrestled with ended up cooked!

gary135r
11-09-2005, 05:22 PM
What is with these people?!

not to get too deep, but there has been a severe lack of respect (see Jerry Springer) and consequence for actions for many years now. Not to sound like an old f*rt but I would never think of doing that randomly to another human being. I was just not brought up that way

Fixed
11-09-2005, 05:29 PM
bro I try i need to be more like weisan I know he must have some days like that but it ain't easy when you come from the street.I
am glad I know him. cheers :beer:

Saxon
11-09-2005, 05:56 PM
I've been shot at with a paintball gun and while it stung a bit, I was too far from the shooter (coward!) for the plastic ball to break. Of course, called every name in the book by brainless maroons passing by in cars. The worst was being called names by a pack of kids in a car on mile 97 of a century. They were relentless and I could see they were 16 or 17 years olds. Kids these days :no: I've got a king of the hill jersey with the big red polka dots so if I ever need to "feel the love" I know I can wear that on a ride; It never fails to get me some unwanted "attention".
Old Fart

bluesea
11-09-2005, 06:47 PM
The hand of karma strikes in both directions. Pictures at 11.

DarkStar
11-09-2005, 07:32 PM
This Saturday past while riding along the Lachine canal bike path I had a couple of teenage punks pointed and fired at me what looked and sounded like .22 pistol! Scared the crap out of me and made me duck for cover, almost pounded the crap out of them after I realized that it was a starter pistol. Wish I had a cell phone, cops would have straighten them out big time!

columbusslx
11-09-2005, 08:39 PM
I think the camera phone actually has a place in these situations, although the last group of teens that did this to me were pretty meek when I caught them at the light...I normally let it go but it was busy enough I figured they wouldn't have a go (plus in Boston people can't/don't own guns...down South I'll let it go.) Gary Klein was rumored to pack a snub nosed .38; I wonder if that is true?

kbrown
11-09-2005, 11:52 PM
As a young pup I was on a training ride near the local universityand was passed by a bus within six inches of my left elbow.The driver had the whole road to himself.I caught up to him at the next stop and asked, through his driver side window, why he had come so close to me when he had passed me.A torrent of expletives were directed my way and I returned them with a jet from my water bottle.He was very wet.If memory serves me correctly,the bottle went from about full to two thirds full(if the nature of physics allowed that) and I made a quick getaway.Now that I am older and hopefully a little smarter, but probably not,I would perhaps have let bygones be bygones and just kept riding so as not to incite his wrath against a fellow cyclist down the road.I know that I didn't do the right thing but dang it felt good.

93legendti
11-10-2005, 12:07 AM

Exactly.

The drivers around here are so bad that I ride defensively, keep my mouth shut, stick to the shoulder/side of the road as much as I can and seek out to lightly travelled roads. My main goal is to get home safely to my pregnant wife and almost three year old daughter. If I have a nice ride with no incidents it is icing on the cake. Even a bad ride is usually better than no ride. :)

slowgoing
11-10-2005, 02:08 AM
Being able to launch a long spit stream through one's front teeth is highly underrated under certain circumstances.

soulspinner
11-10-2005, 06:12 AM
Just the other day a neck in a beater pickup said something about my shorts as he passed. I had planned to say nothing(as usual tyring to let it go) when I caught the truck at the light, but this guy wouldnt even look at me. He looked as if he needed a bath and I realized that Instant Karma already happened! I just rode on with a smile. It turned out to be the most enjoyable ride I had in awhile....Coy is right.

MartyE
11-10-2005, 06:53 AM
It's kind of funny, here in Texas which is supposedly
the redneck/pick'emup truck capital of the world I almost never
get harrassed on the road.
I did have 2 blind women in a cadillac whistle at me tho. . .

marty

jdoiv
11-10-2005, 11:15 AM
I did have 2 blind women in a cadillac whistle at me tho. . .

marty

And I thought they gave away drivers licenses here! The blind driving the blind.... :bike: