PDA

View Full Version : Wide tubular/ sew-up tire in 25c-28c size - recommendations

Erik_A
02-16-2013, 11:38 AM
I am looking for recommendations on wide tubular tires in a 25c-28c size. What is your favorite? I am a big guy - 225 lbs, so I am looking for something wider that the typical 21c race tire.

FlashUNC
02-16-2013, 12:47 PM
I like the Conti Competitions in 25.

And then there's the Vittoria Pave's in 27.

Erik_A
02-16-2013, 12:48 PM
I like the Conti Competitions in 25.

And then there's the Vittoria Pave's in 27.

Cool thanks!

Jaq
02-16-2013, 01:20 PM
What are you planning to do? Race or train or just ride or some bit of all three?

The Conti Sprinter Gatorskins are available in 25 for not too much $$$. (More $$ than $$$.)

Vittoria also has the new line of Corsa Elites for about the same $$ in 25s. I think Vecchios (Old Potatoe) has them already and prefers them over the Conti Sprinter Gatorskins.

You could go with Vittoria Evo Paves at up to 27mm, but I think they're running a new compound on their high-end tires called "Iso-Grip," which they admit is fantastic for grip, but has zilch tread-life. So they're not for training, but purely for racing or Sunday club rides. The Corsa Elites don't have the iso-grip.

Tufo also has their Elite Ride 25s, and they get great reviews on various sites as to tread life and ride quality. I've run Tufo hi-comp carbons in the past and they were amazing. They're only in 22mm, though.

Then there's FMB. A bit spendy, but their Paris-Roubaix tire goes up to 27mm, and is probably a little wider in practice. It's touted as both a racing and touring tire; I think Boonen was using these at last year's Paris Roubaix (and at relatively low pressure, too.)

Lionel
02-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Fmb.

Grant McLean
02-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Veloflex Arenberg 25mm

http://www.wiggle.com/veloflex-arenberg-tubular-tire/

bthornt
02-16-2013, 02:28 PM
I like Tufo Elite Ride 25, used in conjunction with Tufo tape. Very smooth ride, puncture resistant, and long tread life. Plus, the tape makes for a very easy and clean install. It helps to get the valve core removal tool and fill up with a sealant, too.

Erik_A
02-16-2013, 04:08 PM
planning to race, train and just ride (some bit of all three - but mostly do training rides). At 225 lbs a lightweight race tire isn't going to gain me much speed.

scrubadub
02-16-2013, 04:42 PM
The FMB 27s are awesome. I've used mine on fast group rides and off-road on singletrack and rides like D2R2. If they don't slow Tom Boonen down...

It took me awhile to get over the fear of flatting on them but the ride is worth it.

M-7
02-16-2013, 05:20 PM
At 225 lbs the new Vittoria Corsa Elites seem's to be a very good compromise

joosttx
02-16-2013, 05:26 PM
FMB PR's 27's are about the best and are priced that way. I love them.

oldpotatoe
02-16-2013, 05:32 PM
I am looking for recommendations on wide tubular tires in a 25c-28c size. What is your favorite? I am a big guy - 225 lbs, so I am looking for something wider that the typical 21c race tire.

New Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25..nice tyre.

rphetteplace
02-16-2013, 11:52 PM
How are the Michelins in 24? Do they run like Michelin clinchers that are usually 2-3mm wider than labelled?

lukasz
02-17-2013, 12:25 AM
Did they actually make the Veloflex a 25 now or just change the number on the sidewall?

happycampyer
02-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Did they actually make the Veloflex a 25 now or just change the number on the sidewall?the Arenbergs are a true 25, and the Carbons are now a true 23mm (Veloflex didn't just change the number on the sidewall).

There are lots of good choices in 25mm—Veloflex, Vittoria, Continental, FMB and Dugast are the usual suspects. In terms of suppleness and ride quality, I would put Veloflex, FMB and Dugast at the top, followed by Vittoria (Corsa Evo CX) and then Continental (Competitions). At 225 lbs, suppleness may not be your highest priority. FMB, Veloflex and Dugast don't make a lower priced training tire. I've ridden the Conti Sprinters and 4000's and don't particularly care for them—they may be very durable, but they have a very hard feel. Haven't tried the Vittorias that oldpotatoe recommends, but that sounds like a good, in-between choice. Of the racing tires, the Arenbergs are my new favorites. As supple as the FMBs or Dugasts, but the black sidewalls will be lower maintenance over time.

In 27mm, there are fewer choices. The FMB Paris Roubaix is hard to beat in this category, but you need to be careful about clearance—they are pretty plump. The Vittoria Paves are also great, but you have to love green sidewalls. I had heard that worldclasscycles had them in all black, but they don't show up on their website. Worth a call.