PDA

View Full Version : Post-Interview Advice Please *I GOT IT!*

pbarry
02-15-2013, 08:48 PM
There are more worldly members out there than me, especially regarding the contemporary interview process. I've been in the building trades off and on since I was 18, so I'm used to a few brief questions, and getting hired with a handshake. People see if you've got the skills you say you do, and it's all good.

I was invited to apply for a job with a local utility company by the manager of the department and had my interview today with the dept. manager, foreman, and HR guy. They are only choosing between 5 or 6 applicants, and I think I did well. However, my answers to a few of their questions could have been more complete. I feel like it would be good to email the department manager and expand on two or three items. Is that violating protocol? It's a small company, and pretty relaxed as far as I can tell; just out of my element here.. Any input would be appreciated.

BumbleBeeDave
02-15-2013, 08:50 PM
. . . as far as I'm concerned. Shows you are complete and attend to details.

BBD

FlashUNC
02-15-2013, 08:51 PM
A little follow-up never hurts.

Louis
02-15-2013, 08:53 PM
. . . as far as I'm concerned. Shows you are complete and attend to details.

Agreed. And that you're interested enough in the job to follow-up.

Can't hurt. (Unless you go on and on about something trivial, in which case they may wonder what that's all about.)

I'd say do it, but don't over-do it. (whatever that means)

Edit: FYI, some folks send Thank-you notes / e-mails as a standard follow-up, even if they aren't adding real info. Just to reiterate that they're interested in the position.

pbarry
02-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Good to hear guys. I feel better already.

jtakeda
02-15-2013, 08:54 PM
I would NOT expand on your answers. It makes it sound like you're uncertain and want to revise your answers to cater to what you think the interviewer wanted to hear.

It is a good idea to email and thank them for their time and express your excitement about the position.

Good luck.

pbarry
02-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Agreed. And that you're interested enough in the job to follow-up.

Can't hurt. (Unless you go on and on about something trivial, in which case they may wonder what that's all about.)

I'd say do it, but don't over-do it. (whatever that means)

Great advice, Louis. They are minor points, one being a question about "your last manger's good and bad points", and the other about "dealing with change". I was caught off guard by the thoroughness of the interview for sure.

AngryScientist
02-15-2013, 08:58 PM
in the real world, when someone asks you a question at your job, the right thing to do is to tell them what you know, and research the items that you're lacking in, then follow-up with a complete answer. i think that's a good move for an interview too.

if you're relatively young and newer to the industry, it's most likely that they want to fill a position with someone enthusiastic about learning and growing with the company, showing enthusiasm and engagement is a good thing at this state

IMO.

Louis
02-15-2013, 08:59 PM
They are minor points, one being a question about "your last manger's good and bad points"

I wouldn't mess with that one. Leave it alone - by going back to it you'll just be stirring the pot.

AngryScientist
02-15-2013, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't mess with that one. Leave it alone - by going back to it you'll just be stirring the pot.

yea i agree, my advice above was based on thinking these questions were more technically based.

when an interviewer asks you questions like the one above, it's more about gauging your reaction under pressure than your actual answer i think.

pbarry
02-15-2013, 09:01 PM
I would NOT expand on your answers. It makes it sound like you're uncertain and want to revise your answers to cater to what you think the interviewer wanted to hear.

It is a good idea to email and thank them for their time and express your excitement about the position.

Good luck.

Point taken, that is my dilemma. :) I don't think I hurt myself by my answers to those questions, but I could have fleshed them out a bit.

pbarry
02-15-2013, 09:03 PM
yea i agree, my advice above was based on thinking these questions were more technically based.

when an interviewer asks you questions like the one above, it's more about gauging your reaction under pressure than your actual answer i think.

OK, y'all are convincing me to stay with the cards I have. I really appreciate the counseling.

jtakeda
02-15-2013, 09:06 PM
I think what angry scientist said is great.

Enthusiasm and excitement go a long way. If the employer thinks you're going to like the job and likes you as a person it will help give you an edge over other candidates.

With a limited pool of candidates, you mentioned 5-6 people, I think a thank you email will go a long way.

Wilkinson4
02-15-2013, 09:07 PM
A follow-up to thank them for their time is always good... Instead of expanding on your answers, maybe write something to the effect that you look forward to a second interview so you can have a more detailed conversation about the job.

mIKE

Peter B
02-15-2013, 09:10 PM
<snip>I think a thank you email will go a long way.

I'd leave it at that.

FlashUNC
02-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Follow-up thank you email is a given.

All the usual platitudes, and get a sense of their timeframe for making a decision. And volunteer how to be reached again if they have any follow-up questions.

pbarry
02-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Would not have thought of the follow-up thank you email if I wasn't reviewing things in my mind. Excellent idea!

I did work the room a little with some self-effacing comments which seemed to loosed things up. And maybe an over confident answer: When the HR manger asked, "Where do you see yourself in five years?", I answered, "Well, working for you!". Got laughs tho.

pbarry
02-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Follow-up thank you email is a given.

All the usual platitudes, and get a sense of their timeframe for making a decision. And volunteer how to be reached again if they have any follow-up questions.

Yes! Will email them tomorrow. This process a sea-change for me. Construction "HR" has been so different, IME, from the white collar professions in the hiring process, that the interview today was out of my realm of experience.

They will either make a decision or call for a second interview by Wednesday of next week.

Fishbike
02-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Send a thank you email IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT WAIT!!!!!!

Have someone proof it.

Convey that you are very interested.

Maybe have a sentence about why you will be a good fit.

Don't put anything about prior managers in writing.

Thank them again for their time and say you look forward to hearing from them.

Good luck!

jtakeda
02-15-2013, 09:38 PM
+1

pbarry
02-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Your responses are just awesome. I'm verlempt. Thank You!

PacNW2Ford
02-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Would not have thought of the follow-up thank you email if I wasn't reviewing things in my mind. Excellent idea!

I did work the room a little with some self-effacing comments which seemed to loosed things up. And maybe an over confident answer: When the HR manger asked, "Where do you see yourself in five years?", I answered, "Well, working for you!". Got laughs tho.

Good answer, especially if you followed up with a more thorough answer.

True stories on how not to answer it:

Them: "I want to be a project manager"
Me: Why would you choose the PM path over being a technical expert?
Applicant A: "Because all of my managers have been idiots, and I know I can do better."
Applicant B: "Because I don't have confidence in my technical abilities."

A handwritten thank you note is a great way to follow up.

pbarry
02-15-2013, 11:30 PM
Good answer, especially if you followed up with a more thorough answer.

True stories on how not to answer it:

Them: "I want to be a project manager"
Me: Why would you choose the PM path over being a technical expert?
Applicant A: "Because all of my managers have been idiots, and I know I can do better."
Applicant B: "Because I don't have confidence in my technical abilities."

A handwritten thank you note is a great way to follow up.

Yes, I did. :) Handwritten note suggestion is the best! I live in a very small town and that is the perfect response here. :hello:

slidey
02-15-2013, 11:46 PM
+1

Very tricky ground you'd be treading with this Q, and you had best leave it alone.

pdmtong
02-16-2013, 02:17 AM
i'd say that in any interview, there will be question(s) to which you wish you had a do over. the interview is your shot. that's it. say thank you and move on.

pbarry
03-04-2013, 02:03 PM
I got the job!!! :banana::banana::banana:

After receiving a rejection letter saying they'd made an offer to the one applicant who had previous experience, I followed up with a phone call seeking feedback. The department manager assured me that my resume and interview were very strong, and so were my references.

At that point he mentioned that the guy they made the offer to, had not yet made a decision. They called on Friday with an offer which I readily accepted. It's been 20 years since I had full benefits, so I'm pretty psyched to be here.

Thanks to all who chimed in here. I don't know if I would have made the follow up call last week without your suggestions. The ensuing 20 minute conversation put me over the top, I'm sure.

Grazie Mille! :beer:

Louis
03-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Congratulations. :):)

Good Luck with the work.

BumbleBeeDave
03-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Woo-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :banana:

BBD

pbarry
03-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks, fellas! Did I mention the new commute is 2 miles?

gavingould
03-04-2013, 04:16 PM
congrats! hopefully i'll be touting likewise soon enough as the current job is driving me to be disagreeable.

Fishbike
03-04-2013, 04:37 PM
COngrats! So nice to see that Team Paceline helped in some small way.

FlashUNC
03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Well done.

AngryScientist
03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
congratulations.

it does seem odd to me though that a company would send a rejection letter before the selected candidate accepted.

glad it worked out for you!

veloduffer
03-05-2013, 08:45 AM
I got the job!!! :banana::banana::banana:

After receiving a rejection letter saying they'd made an offer to the one applicant who had previous experience, I followed up with a phone call seeking feedback. The department manager assured me that my resume and interview were very strong, and so were my references.

At that point he mentioned that the guy they made the offer to, had not yet made a decision. They called on Friday with an offer which I readily accepted. It's been 20 years since I had full benefits, so I'm pretty psyched to be here.

Thanks to all who chimed in here. I don't know if I would have made the follow up call last week without your suggestions. The ensuing 20 minute conversation put me over the top, I'm sure.

Grazie Mille! :beer:

Good move on the followup call - it showed that you were interested, serious and moreover, you were diligent. All aspects of a good hire. Congrats and good luck!:):banana:

shovelhd
03-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Congratulations. Best of luck in your new position.

DreaminJohn
03-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Late to this party, but congrats to you. And kudos to everyone who provided awesome advice.

:banana: