PDA

View Full Version : Bill Burr Doesn't Buy Oprah's Holier-Than-Thou Lance Armstrong Interview

Tony T
02-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Bill Burr on Conan. As BikeSnob says "The sorts of people who comment in Cyclingnews forums will no doubt be compelled to point out inaccuracies, but if you're not among the terminally retentive (which is very unlikely if you're a cycling fan) you should find it humorous."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9YL04v-J5U

Enjoy

schwa86
02-15-2013, 06:44 PM
I have to say, that pretty much seems like the final word on the subject.

Louis
02-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Who's Bill Burr?

Tony T
02-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Stand-up comedian.

dekindy
02-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the link. Learned about a comic that I had never heard. Pretty funny stuff.

Tony T
02-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Yeah, he's very funny. He's on par with Louis CK (I think better)
Conan was genuinely laughing throughout the bit.
"Oprah, didn't she for the first five years have like midgets who wanted to bang their mailman's boyfriend. She didn't want to do it, but she didn't have the power to say no, so she road it out. And then when she could make a good decision, she did her show. But she stood on the heads of those little people for five years."

IJWS
02-15-2013, 08:36 PM
"He didn't do anything to me."

charliedid
02-15-2013, 08:47 PM
I laughed...pretty good.

Louis
02-15-2013, 09:58 PM
NYT story about folks with Livestrong tats Link here (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/16/sports/cycling/livestrong-tattoos-as-reminder-of-personal-connections-not-tarnished-brand.html?smid=pl-share)

Choose your heroes carefully.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/02/16/sports/cycling/16tattoos2-img/16tattoos2-img-articleLarge.jpg

Tony T
02-15-2013, 10:14 PM

While I agree with that statement (as well as that one should never meet one's heroes), the NYT article is contrary to that statement.

The caption to the pic you linked: "For cyclists, cancer survivors and others, tattoos of Livestrong remain symbols of the fight against cancer more than a reminder of the foundation's founder, Lance Armstrong."

Louis
02-15-2013, 10:18 PM
I know, but if you read the rest of the article they aren't quite as upbeat.

They're basically making lemonade of lemons, which is what many cancer victims have to do.

Tony T
02-15-2013, 10:22 PM
I did read the article. None wanted to get the tat removed, nor did any regret having it. None said that they got the tat for Armstrong (so being careful about choosing one's hero's, while true, does not apply to that story)

Louis
02-15-2013, 10:28 PM
(so being careful about choosing one's hero's, while true, does not apply to that story)

We must have read different stories. They are disconnecting the tat from LA, which suggests (to me) that they aren't head over heels happy with their choice.

Tony T
02-15-2013, 10:32 PM
So, you think that they're all lying, and that they got the tat to honor Armstrong, and not the reasons that they stated in the article.:rolleyes:

Louis
02-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Her words, not mine:

“It’s heartbreaking,” Mariash, of Wilson, Wyo., said of the antidoping officials’ report, released in October, and Armstrong’s subsequent confession to Oprah Winfrey. “When I look at the tattoo now, I just think of living strong, and it’s more connected to the cancer fight and optimal health than Lance.”

Tony T
02-15-2013, 10:47 PM
I don't know why you feel the need to post quotes:
“It’s about the cancer, not Lance,” Eddie Bonds said.
That was also the case for Jeremy Nienhouse
And the person that you quoted, ends the story with:
“I wanted to show it’s forever,” she said. “Cancer isn’t something that just goes away from people. I wanted to show this is permanent and keep people remembering the fight.”

Story was not about a tatto for a "hero", so no need to choose one carefully, but you're free to believe what you want.

Louis
02-16-2013, 12:16 AM
I don't know why you feel the need to post quotes

Because we're discussing what's in the story, so it helps to see it right there.

Thanks for posting the quotes you chose, they only reinforce the very points I'm making. :)

BdaGhisallo
02-16-2013, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the link. That guy is funny!

mcteague
02-16-2013, 06:49 AM
$500 million for cancer research? Really. My understanding is Livestrong is not into giving money for research, just assiting those with cancer get more information.

Didn't hurt anybody? Wonder how Greg and Betsy feel about that line.

Tim

Rueda Tropical
02-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Story was not about a tatto for a "hero", so no need to choose one carefully, but you're free to believe what you want.

No one can name any individual associated with the top 10 cancer charities. Say Livestrong and one name comes up. The commercial and charity brand were virtually one and the same. To say that anyone getting a Livestrong tattoo was not thinking of Armstrong as a hero and an inspiration when they got it really defies credibility. No doubt they where LA's most ardent defenders and believers until he himself admitted he was lying.

Now that Armstrong has been exposed as a fraud the foundation and the tattoos need a new narrative and a life post Armstrong. Understandable and I hope for their sake they can move past the fraud and find continued inspiration in the foundation sans Lance.

pbarry
02-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the link. That guy is funny!

+1 Freakin funny.

2LeftCleats
02-16-2013, 07:23 AM
"Sociopath on a bicycle" puts it more succinctly than anything else I've seen.

BumbleBeeDave
02-16-2013, 07:33 AM
So, you think that they're all lying, and that they got the tat to honor Armstrong, and not the reasons that they stated in the article.:rolleyes:

. . . a gullible schmuck for Lance, but then for some unfathomable reason (maybe because I'm a gullible schmuck?) agreed to be interviewed by the NYT, I'd put a positive spin on my own involvement, too. :rolleyes:

In 30 years of newspapers I sat in on a lot of interviews, and it's astonishing (and often humorous in a schadenfreude kind of way) to watch interviewees who were awfully sure of themselves going in start tap dancing and backpedaling when the reporter suddenly starts asking uncomfortable questions.

BBD

oldpotatoe
02-16-2013, 08:16 AM
NYT story about folks with Livestrong tats Link here (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/16/sports/cycling/livestrong-tattoos-as-reminder-of-personal-connections-not-tarnished-brand.html?smid=pl-share)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/02/16/sports/cycling/16tattoos2-img/16tattoos2-img-articleLarge.jpg

Dooohhhh!!!

Bob Loblaw
02-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Bill Burr is hilarious. He is on a couple of comedy channels on Pandora.

BL

William
02-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Funny stuff!!

Ummm, where's the 40 grit??

http://cdnl.complex.com/mp/620/400/80/0/bb/1/ffffff/8d68dd4e22422b436267802a02b065b5/images_/assets/CHANNEL_IMAGES/ART/2012/10/20-livestrong-tattoo-fails/1_362917.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcdnhvZnKN1qiq1tco1_250.jpg

http://winningateverything.com/files/2012/10/WA_doping.jpg

William

BumbleBeeDave
02-16-2013, 09:14 AM
. . . before and it looks like some kind of evil demon. The facial features don't even resemble Lance, at least not to me.

BBD

Funny stuff!!

Ummm, where's the 40 grit??

http://cdnl.complex.com/mp/620/400/80/0/bb/1/ffffff/8d68dd4e22422b436267802a02b065b5/images_/assets/CHANNEL_IMAGES/ART/2012/10/20-livestrong-tattoo-fails/1_362917.jpg

William

Tony T
02-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Because we're discussing what's in the story, so it helps to see it right there.

Thanks for posting the quotes you chose, they only reinforce the very points I'm making. :)

You only made one point: to choose your hero's carefully. Many in the article got the tat to support a family member, or to signify the date they were clean from cancer. Not a single tat that you posted was of a "hero" (unless your point that was that the Livestrong organization is the hero, was that what you meant? Must be).

Anyway, tats can be removed, everyone in the story chose to keep it.

Tony T
02-16-2013, 09:26 AM
$500 million for cancer research? Really. My understanding is Livestrong is not into giving money for research, just assiting those with cancer get more information.

Didn't hurt anybody? Wonder how Greg and Betsy feel about that line.

Tim

I guess you missed this in the 1st post ;)
"The sorts of people who comment in Cyclingnews forums will no doubt be compelled to point out inaccuracies, but if you're not among the terminally retentive (which is very unlikely if you're a cycling fan) you should find it humorous."

Tony T
02-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Bill Burr is hilarious. He is on a couple of comedy channels on Pandora.

Yeah, I gonna have to try to catch him live next time he's in my area.
There's also quite a bit of his act on youtube.

rain dogs
02-16-2013, 10:54 AM
I dunno what's is more hilarious, Bill Burr ripping the "sociopath on a bike", Tony T still cheer-leading for dopestrong, or the fact we continue to riled into these dumb back and forths over that joke

Burr is pretty funny.

Tony T
02-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Well, I guess it's your right to rag on someone that supports a charity that helps families and people cope with the worst times in their lives. Also your right to slander that organization.

And I guess it's my right to call you a heartless arse.....

PQJ
02-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Blah blah blah blah words words words blah blah blah

Mr Cabletwitch
02-16-2013, 12:44 PM
That guy is funny! I've been you tubing him for the last hour. :hello:

mcteague
02-16-2013, 12:50 PM
I guess you missed this in the 1st post ;)
"The sorts of people who comment in Cyclingnews forums will no doubt be compelled to point out inaccuracies, but if you're not among the terminally retentive (which is very unlikely if you're a cycling fan) you should find it humorous."

No, I saw it but could not resist. Half of us point out errors, or crazy statements and the rest rag on us for doing so. What did we ever do before the interwebs?

Tim

BumbleBeeDave
02-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Well, I guess it's your right to rag on someone that supports a charity that helps families and people cope with the worst times in their lives. Also your right to slander that organization.

And I guess it's my right to call you a heartless arse.....

. . . but let's please forgo the personal attacks (said the mod).

Thanks.

BBD

Louis
02-16-2013, 02:51 PM
. . . before and it looks like some kind of evil demon.

Hmmmm, coincidence?

I feel sorry for the guy who got that. Superficially he might have convinced himself that it's great, but deep down inside he must realize that they botched the job.

LegendRider
02-16-2013, 05:25 PM
That guy is funny! I've been you tubing him for the last hour. :hello:

He's hilarious. Check out his podcast, but be aware that it's full of bad language. I can take only so many f-bombs...