PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to gain flexibility?

MattTuck
02-14-2013, 11:24 PM
I've been doing a structured core strengthening program that involves some dynamic stretching to warm up. I've also been doing some yoga workouts trying to gain flexibility. The core program has been for the last 3 or 4 weeks 2-4 times per week, the yoga for the last 8-12 weeks 3-4 times per week.

Seems my hamstrings and lower back are tight, but don't seem to be improving... Any thoughts on how long it takes to gain flexibility? Am I being impatient?

I wonder if a more structured flexibility program would help. Anyone have such a program?

Louis
02-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Not a direct answer to the question, but related nonetheless:

During longish / hard with lots of climbing rides I used to have low-back pain issues on the bike, and kept my bars higher than I otherwise wanted them to be to fix things. Core strengthening exercises eliminated 99% of the problem.

Sometimes the issue is lack of flexibility, sometimes it's lack of strength.

I have no clue what your issues are but if you are working on your core, things might get better on the bike with no significant change in flexibility.

Good Luck

slidey
02-14-2013, 11:49 PM
I can't help you with the time-frame nor for that matter I believe anyone can do so accurately. However, I can suggest using a foam-roller to roll out the muscles you feel are inflexible/sore, for eg: hamstrings, adductors, quads, IT band, hips, back, etc.

I've been doing a structured core strengthening program that involves some dynamic stretching to warm up. I've also been doing some yoga workouts trying to gain flexibility. The core program has been for the last 3 or 4 weeks 2-4 times per week, the yoga for the last 8-12 weeks 3-4 times per week.

Seems my hamstrings and lower back are tight, but don't seem to be improving... Any thoughts on how long it takes to gain flexibility? Am I being impatient?

I wonder if a more structured flexibility program would help. Anyone have such a program?

MattTuck
02-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Louis,

It's all a bit complicated, and inter-related. I rarely (as in, can't remember the last time) have back pain. But The lack of flexibility does cause my position on the bike to suffer, as my hips rotate forward and more weight falls on sensitive areas.

No doubt the core strengthening will help, and there are already times on the trainer when I feel it helping. But it still feels like the limiting factor of my position on the bike is my flexibility.

CNY rider
02-15-2013, 05:45 AM
I've been stretching every morning for about a year now, after an injury that had me suffering considerable back pain for several weeks.
Before I started stretching I couldn't even get in the same neighborhood as my toes, much less touch them. My Physical Therapist said it was pretty typical for a cyclist that didn't do any stretching.
Now I can curl my hands around my toes while stretching on the floor.
I think it took about 4 months to see any results at all, and it took about 8 months to get to touching my toes.
So keep at it, you will get there.

jlwdm
02-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Everyone is different and you won't necessarily see much improvement. Try various programs and see what happens.

A few years ago when Cancellara's team switched to Specialized they did a lot of rider testing. Fabian was the most flexible rider they had ever tested and he basically never did any stretching.

Don't think that because a program worked for someone else it will work got you.

Jeff

DRZRM
02-15-2013, 07:02 AM
So far, 43 years and counting, still no significant flexibility.

rugbysecondrow
02-15-2013, 07:36 AM
I have read that some problems that people think are flexibility issues are actually movement issues. Folks don't engage their hips properly, don't hinge in the middle. Here is a pretty cool article about it. http://graycook.com/?p=1261

Do you warm up prior to stretching? For me, I have poor "cold" flexibility, but as I warm up, then my stretching improves significantly.

Also, if you are doing a yogo program on your own, you might not be targeting the areas you think you are if your position is not correct, which would have an obvious impact on your progress. Yoga has helped my back, hip and hamstring flexibility. Yoga helped me use my hips better, which has translated to weightlifting.

Also, I do some core exercises, but I try to do movements that strengthen the body and core. Deadlift, front squats, over head squats, hang cleans, power press, squat thrusters...all of this will strengthen, improve mobility and work out the core as it must stay engaged throughout. In addition, push-ups, pull-ups, dips...all core exercises as well. I mean, a push is just a plank, a pull up requires core engagnement throughout same with dips.

Anyway, I would (have) take a more full body approach and it has worked well for me.

dekindy
02-15-2013, 07:42 AM
I am working on this right now and can give some insight, or at least a little. I have been doing Graeme Street's 18-minute stretching routine after every 1-1.5 hour workout which I do every other day.

First thing I began noticing is that I felt better. Next I began sleeping much better. Now I am seeing very minimal gains but is very slow. Graeme constantly reminds during the workout that it is okay if you cannot do each full stretch, in fact he hopes you cannot so you have something to improve on. He encourages to try to improve an inch or two each time. I doubt if I am improving a tenth of that each session but it is hard to measure.

Trainers that have advised me say that it will take me a solid year of constant stretching for me to get me where I want to go.

Two weeks ago I decided to go to a massage therapist. I picked this one. http://www.healingrootsmassage.net/ My chiropractor has a massage therapist also but I chose this one because of the capability described on her website.

I have had assistance before and thought this time it would be different because I had done 20 stretching sessions over the last 45 days. I was wrong. My muscles were very sensitive with lots of knots. However the therapist was able to get my muscles respond very well. I felt even better and noticed in my next two stretching sessions that my flexibilty had improved. My quadriceps were very tight nearest to my knees and I noticed this felt much better and also my hamstrings. I went for another massage yesterday and plan to go in a couple of weeks. Yesterdays massage was still difficult but I noticed that she did not have to spend as much time on the routine that she did originally and added some major massage to my hip flexors which she had not done in the initial session and it felt good. I am anxious to work out and stretch today to see if I can feel the difference. My quadriceps and hamstrings responded so well to the two sessions that I am willing to spend the money on massage. If I can get to were I want to be or get more flexible I might possibly be able to add Yoga to help my flexibility. When I started this I could not even begin to get into most Yoga positions.

So with this brief history, I am convinced that massage possibly integrated with chirpopractic adjustments on a very frequent basis in the initial stages of beginning a stretching program is key to supplementing my stretching and make flexibility gains.

Hope this helps. I have been struggling with this for years but it was always so painful and I made such negligible gains that I would give up. Maybe I am more determined now since I know that my cycling endurance is not going to improve any further unless I address my lack of flexibility. I am also concerned that even though I have not had health problems it seems likely to me that it will in the future if I don't do something about it.

Hank Scorpio
02-15-2013, 08:45 AM
I have been really flexible my whole life but a recent leg and back injuries had me looking for some relief. I have adopted a foam roller regimen after workouts while still warm along with light stretching before. Do a quick youtube search on myofascial release to learn some home techniques you can use.

MattTuck
02-15-2013, 08:51 AM
A few years ago when Cancellara's team switched to Specialized they did a lot of rider testing. Fabian was the most flexible rider they had ever tested and he basically never did any stretching. Jeff

gah! he get's it all, monster legs, monster lungs and monster flexibility. damn you Fabian! share the wealth, bro.

dekindy, rugby, CNY, DRZM: Thanks for sharing the experiences, sounds like a long row to hoe... I'll keep at it. Like most things, we have to get over the American impulse to expect instant results.

Tony
02-15-2013, 09:22 AM
I like this stretch routine, and you can sing along! The workout starts at 1:25 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1J3NLNWAPU

MattTuck
02-15-2013, 09:39 AM
I like this stretch routine, and you can sing along! The workout starts at 1:25 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1J3NLNWAPU

I'm about to click on this, but if the 'singing' you refer to is being rickrolled I am not going to be happy.

dekindy
02-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Foam roller is a very good aid and an exercise ball can help too as the latter is used in Street's routine. Remember to back off if it hurts or does not feel right.

etu
02-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Maybe this is obvious to most, but with my current rehab with IT band, I learned hips are an important part of the core. Before I was focussing mostly on abs and back. Now I am doing dead lifts and one legged squats too. Readings from Gray Cook was an eyeopener.
With regard to flexibility, I could see some changes quickly, but others (hip flexor) not as much even after 8wks.

slidey
02-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Yes, hips are very important part of core.

Core = Abs + back + hips. When you do core workout, its absolutely essential to work out each of the above 3 areas, of course focusing more on the one which you've identified as your weak point.

Also, for hips try out glute bridges (http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/movements/glute-bridge.html). I generally hold the posture for 2 mins, then switch to one leg for 1 min, alternate the other leg for another min, and then both feet on the ground for 2 more mins. That should give a good enough burn in your glutes as long as you make sure to not let your hips drop.

Maybe this is obvious to most, but with my current rehab with IT band, I learned hips are an important part of the core. Before I was focussing mostly on abs and back. Now I am doing dead lifts and one legged squats too. Readings from Gray Cook was an eyeopener.
With regard to flexibility, I could see some changes quickly, but others (hip flexor) not as much even after 8wks.

OperaLover
02-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Into my 3rd year of yoga and flexibility has improved, but I am no gumby. Heck I am also 50 yo. My 9 yo daugther the gymnast became incredibly flexible over the same time period. Take your time, work with someone who knows what they are doing and you will gain flexibility and strength. Setting a specific time frame may set you up for failure and/or injury.

Can't say enough about yoga for strength, fexibility and balance. It activates as lot of the small deep connective muscle groups and my climbing and overall comfort on the bike is much improved.

dekindy
02-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Into my 3rd year of yoga and flexibility has improved, but I am no gumby. Heck I am also 50 yo. My 9 yo daugther the gymnast became incredibly flexible over the same time period. Take your time, work with someone who knows what they are doing and you will gain flexibility and strength. Setting a specific time frame may set you up for failure and/or injury.

Can't say enough about yoga for strength, fexibility and balance. It activates as lot of the small deep connective muscle groups and my climbing and overall comfort on the bike is much improved.

Ow man, who are you kidding. You just go because most attendees are women.:eek: Just kidding. But still a plus.

Louis
02-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Ow man, who are you kidding. You just go because most attendees are women.:eek: Just kidding. But still a plus.

Hey, it takes a real man to do the "Wind relieving pose" in a room full of women.

http://premayogatoronto.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/wind-relieving-pose-2.jpg

fuzzalow
02-15-2013, 09:01 PM
I rarely (as in, can't remember the last time) have back pain. But The lack of flexibility does cause my position on the bike to suffer, as my hips rotate forward and more weight falls on sensitive areas.

No doubt the core strengthening will help, and there are already times on the trainer when I feel it helping. But it still feels like the limiting factor of my position on the bike is my flexibility.

I will give a slightly contrary view, for the sake of open discussion. If you choose to reject what I have to post, that's fine. But it's out here so other's can decide if it is useful to them if not to you.

Briefly, you should rotate your hips forward. Not as in a swayed back, but as in a straight back. I saw this video on Andy Pruitt and Evie Stevens and her position is racer-good and she is fairly new at the sport. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yyQoSi0rSk Just skip to 0:43 watch 10 seconds worth and note the posture - not curved in the lower back. Watching her spinning away, does it look like core strength is deployed to do this?

I believe you are mistaking a lack of flexibility for an inability to hold a forced, contorted position with the exertion of your core musculature. When you can't hold this position any longer, you roll forward. The fact that there is not enough saddle setback & bar-to-saddle length in your fit means you then sit on your tender bits.

IMO there should be greater skepticism about this myth of core strength. If it is a necessary part of conditioning and achieved flexibility to ride, does that mean you alter your bike for less drop in spring and more drop in season? Same as climbing the same hill in 39x25 in winter and 39x18 in summer?

whforrest
02-15-2013, 11:01 PM
I plan on adding yin yoga workouts along with regular hot yoga and cycling. Yin really opens up the hip and core area. It's totally different than traditional yoga.

MattTuck
02-15-2013, 11:05 PM
I will give a slightly contrary view, for the sake of open discussion. If you choose to reject what I have to post, that's fine. But it's out here so other's can decide if it is useful to them if not to you.

Briefly, you should rotate your hips forward. Not as in a swayed back, but as in a straight back. I saw this video on Andy Pruitt and Evie Stevens and her position is racer-good and she is fairly new at the sport. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yyQoSi0rSk Just skip to 0:43 watch 10 seconds worth and note the posture - not curved in the lower back. Watching her spinning away, does it look like core strength is deployed to do this?

I believe you are mistaking a lack of flexibility for an inability to hold a forced, contorted position with the exertion of your core musculature. When you can't hold this position any longer, you roll forward. The fact that there is not enough saddle setback & bar-to-saddle length in your fit means you then sit on your tender bits.

IMO there should be greater skepticism about this myth of core strength. If it is a necessary part of conditioning and achieved flexibility to ride, does that mean you alter your bike for less drop in spring and more drop in season? Same as climbing the same hill in 39x25 in winter and 39x18 in summer?

I'm not a very dogmatic person; I think there is value in all perspectives, and I certainly didn't mean to suggest I had it all figured out. That said, I do think that your assessment is correct, that I roll forward when I get 'lazy'. However, the reason I have to activate so much of my core to get into a 'natural' riding position (atleast what I am perceiving when I am doing that) is because my lower back doesn't bend enough. (I am dealing with anterior pelvic tilt with my off bike posture, so I'm already a bit predisposed to rolling them forward.

I think that there are flexibility differences after riding for an entire season vs. getting on the bike in the spring.

fuzzalow
02-16-2013, 07:06 AM
However, the reason I have to activate so much of my core to get into a 'natural' riding position (atleast what I am perceiving when I am doing that) is because my lower back doesn't bend enough. (I am dealing with anterior pelvic tilt with my off bike posture, so I'm already a bit predisposed to rolling them forward.

Your natural riding position is the position that does not require any core exertion in the slightest to maintain while on the bike. Find the balance point on the bike congruent with your natural physiology & posture.

You do not bend your lower back in riding a bike. You do point your pelvis into the saddle in mounting the bike and pivot and angle the pelvis fowards with your entire torso falling forwards from the pivot point of your pelvis. There is not a conscious effort in bending from the waist/lower back.

Back to the Andy Pruitt/Evie Stevens video for moment: there is a camera angle shot of her sitting on the massage table. Note the posture, normal seated position, pelvis vertical, slight forward bend in lower back to position her upper body mass forwards to balance herself while seated. Every human on the planet knows how to do this without a thought. However, this is not transferable for how to sit on a bike.

There are plenty of side shots of her while relaxedly spinning away on the bike. Pelvis points planted in the saddle, straight back, arms falling down loosely from the shoulder sockets. Relaxed. Does she even suggest that she is grunting away at core to do this? How would an athlete belly breathe on the bike while constricting abs to merely sit on a bike? Ms. Stevens has only been riding a few years and I'd take a bet with anyone that those first years were not spent working on core strength or flexibility. She knows how the sit on a bike.

I am not dogmatic on this topic either. I read what I believe is repetition of internet myth, tips & tricks Re: core strength & flexibility. But I don't see evidence of the results so I question the validity of the method. And an audience that reads this forum hears unanimity on this topic and may well believe it to be how it is done. But this reliance on core strength & flexibility IMO is not only incorrect, it is damaging. So I feel compelled to be the dissenting voice and try to offer insight rather than just hurling epithets from the rafters. I've posted photos of my bikes here - I can do what I say is easy to do. I am a tail-end baby boomer - I do not ride my position because I can force a youthful body into contortions.

My apologies in butting into your thread. I meant no intent to derail.

rugbysecondrow
02-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Your natural riding position is the position that does not require any core exertion in the slightest to maintain while on the bike. Find the balance point on the bike congruent with your natural physiology & posture.

You do not bend your lower back in riding a bike. You do point your pelvis into the saddle in mounting the bike and pivot and angle the pelvis fowards with your entire torso falling forwards from the pivot point of your pelvis. There is not a conscious effort in bending from the waist/lower back.

Back to the Andy Pruitt/Evie Stevens video for moment: there is a camera angle shot of her sitting on the massage table. Note the posture, normal seated position, pelvis vertical, slight forward bend in lower back to position her upper body mass forwards to balance herself while seated. Every human on the planet knows how to do this without a thought. However, this is not transferable for how to sit on a bike.

There are plenty of side shots of her while relaxedly spinning away on the bike. Pelvis points planted in the saddle, straight back, arms falling down loosely from the shoulder sockets. Relaxed. Does she even suggest that she is grunting away at core to do this? How would an athlete belly breathe on the bike while constricting abs to merely sit on a bike? Ms. Stevens has only been riding a few years and I'd take a bet with anyone that those first years were not spent working on core strength or flexibility. She knows how the sit on a bike.

I am not dogmatic on this topic either. I read what I believe is repetition of internet myth, tips & tricks Re: core strength & flexibility. But I don't see evidence of the results so I question the validity of the method. And an audience that reads this forum hears unanimity on this topic and may well believe it to be how it is done. But this reliance on core strength & flexibility IMO is not only incorrect, it is damaging. So I feel compelled to be the dissenting voice and try to offer insight rather than just hurling epithets from the rafters. I've posted photos of my bikes here - I can do what I say is easy to do. I am a tail-end baby boomer - I do not ride my position because I can force a youthful body into contortions.

My apologies in butting into your thread. I meant no intent to derail.

Do you mean this statement only as it relates to riding? If you meant it to apply to other areas or life in general, I really disagree.

zap
02-16-2013, 08:20 AM
You do not need much core strength to ride in drops with back flat with terra firma all day long. You just kind of plop into position.

I ride to get flexible.

Core workout is good for life in general.

MattTuck
02-16-2013, 11:05 AM
I should ad that I believe there to be several kinds of flexibility. One is muscle length and one is muscle tightness. Some people are blessed with long muscles that relax easily. Others have shorter muscles that are in chronic contraction.

I feel that my problem isn't so much lengthening muscles, as it is getting tight muscles to loosen.

rugbysecondrow
02-16-2013, 11:12 AM
I should ad that I believe there to be several kinds of flexibility. One is muscle length and one is muscle tightness. Some people are blessed with long muscles that relax easily. Others have shorter muscles that are in chronic contraction.

I feel that my problem isn't so much lengthening muscles, as it is getting tight muscles to loosen.

I have this problem. I actually tested it today. When I first wake up on the morning, my muscles are tight, I can barely touch my knees at first. As I wake up and move around, I can touch my shins. A few times up and down the stairs, almost to my toes. If I warm up with some jump rope or a jog, I can touch m y toes and loop my fingers under my feet some. I know this about myself though, so I also know I have to ease into my activity, really warm up and don't exercise hard with a cold body. Others, TMMV.

firerescuefin
02-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Matt...I have lots of thoughts regarding this subject. Paul brings up a lot of great points ...but am heading out for a ride. You're heading in the right direction...more to follow:)

firerescuefin
02-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Lots of good thoughts in here.

I've spent north of 20K chasing down my own issues with regard to core strength and flexibility. I have worked with the best minds in the industry including Dr. Pruitt and Physios that work with/ have worked with Garmin, High Road, and the Denver Broncos.

Most twenty somethings can "fall" into the right position and maintain it for long periods of time without pain. I went through the "slam my stem/ proper euro look" phase for about 10 years with no issues until my early thirties.

Most of us have had small injuries take place....they may not last for long, but many of these injuries subtley change our bodies in small ways. Throw a large injury in there and it doesn't take long for there to be systemic issues. Take these small changes/issues and apply them to a sport that puts your body in a very extreme/unnatural position for hours on end and you've got a recipe for acute and chronic issues. Taken to its extreme, cycling is not a healthy pasttime. Avid cyclists tend to have tight/weak hamstrings, weak glutes, dysfunctional/weak hip abductors and tight/weak hip flexors that creat improper posterior pelvic tilt...both on and off the bike. The ortho that did my hip scopes (bilateral) believes that 30-40% of all people are pre-disposed to hip impingment syndromes. Cyclist that operate in extreme forward flexion that have this predisposition are pretty much guaranteed some sort of issue. This sets in insidiously and usually presents as a back problem first because as you lose hip flexion, you attempt to gain flexion in your lumbar spine...something that was designed for stability, not mobility. I not only have a very specific pre ride routine, but an equally important post ride routine designed to address the asymetries of riding.

Couple people spoke about Pruitt. After my most recent appointment in May we spoke at length regarding position, and core strength. He agrees with a couple of the posters about anterior pelvic tilt. The saddles that he designed, particularly the EVO has a ramp in the back that promotes anterior pelvic tilt...but if you have hip issues/impingments/labral tears...this is not going to be accomplished...see back problems above.

When someone experiences an acute back injury, it is very common for the multifidus and transverse abdominus muscles (critical back stabilizers) to stop functioning...almost altogether. That's why most PTs will start with some very low level excercises that are designed to get them back on line. Many rely on ultrasound as a tool to teach their patients to be able to fire them To say the movement is subtle is an overstatement.

Core strength is incredibly misunderstood. Your core is composed pretty much of everything that ties into your pelvis. A strong core requires strong and functional Multifidus, Transverse abdominus, glutes (all series) hamstrings and maybe last...your large mover stomach muscles (the same ones that we love to pine over and call it "core strength". If you have a strong core you will be more powerful and less prone to injury, both in explosive/dynamic movements and in sustained positions. That's much more fact than opinion. There's a reason that teams of all sports have and continue to put so much energy in this area.

Flexibility can be changed. Static stretch that affects attachment points aren't going to do much IMO...and more likely will lead to injury. I have gained considerable flexibility with dynamic stretching. Some dynamic stretching routines are designed to strengthen and stretch through ROM. Guys like Kobe, Steve Nash, Tony Gonzalez, Dana Torres (ie Mature Athletes that are functioning as world class athletes in their late 30s and 40s spend a lot of time working on dynamic stretching). Before I would address specific tightness in a muscle or muscle group, I would make sure that the kinetic chain was functioning as it should before I went headlong into a stretching regime.

2 back surgeries and 2 hip scopes later, I can nearly touch my palms to the floor, can do unilateral squats and deadlifts and can put down a strong sprint and sustained power in a reasonably aero position. I asked Pruitt about getting more aero. He asked me how long I wanted to keep riding...I said for 50 more years...he said lets get you in a position you can maintain for life. FWIW, he's changed Chavenels and Boonens positions to be more upright. He said that he would even like them to me more than they are. When he first changed Boonen's position, the DS freaked out. It was only after look over the power, physiologic, and wind tunnel data, that the DS relented and agreed.

Anyhow...gots to go.

rugbysecondrow
02-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Lots of good thoughts in here.

I've spent north of 20K chasing down my own issues with regard to core strength and flexibility. I have worked with the best minds in the industry including Dr. Pruitt and Physios that work with/ have worked with Garmin, High Road, and the Denver Broncos.

Most twenty somethings can "fall" into the right position and maintain it for long periods of time without pain. I went through the "slam my stem/ proper euro look" phase for about 10 years with no issues until my early thirties.

Most of us have had small injuries take place....they may not last for long, but many of these injuries subtley change our bodies in small ways. Throw a large injury in there and it doesn't take long for there to be systemic issues. Take these small changes/issues and apply them to a sport that puts your body in a very extreme/unnatural position for hours on end and you've got a recipe for acute and chronic issues. Taken to its extreme, cycling is not a healthy pasttime. Avid cyclists tend to have tight/weak hamstrings, weak glutes, dysfunctional/weak hip abductors and tight/weak hip flexors that creat improper posterior pelvic tilt...both on and off the bike. The ortho that did my hip scopes (bilateral) believes that 30-40% of all people are pre-disposed to hip impingment syndromes. Cyclist that operate in extreme forward flexion that have this predisposition are pretty much guaranteed some sort of issue. This sets in insidiously and usually presents as a back problem first because as you lose hip flexion, you attempt to gain flexion in your lumbar spine...something that was designed for stability, not mobility. I not only have a very specific pre ride routine, but an equally important post ride routine designed to address the asymetries of riding.

Couple people spoke about Pruitt. After my most recent appointment in May we spoke at length regarding position, and core strength. He agrees with a couple of the posters about anterior pelvic tilt. The saddles that he designed, particularly the EVO has a ramp in the back that promotes anterior pelvic tilt...but if you have hip issues/impingments/labral tears...this is not going to be accomplished...see back problems above.

When someone experiences an acute back injury, it is very common for the multifidus and transverse abdominus muscles (critical back stabilizers) to stop functioning...almost altogether. That's why most PTs will start with some very low level excercises that are designed to get them back on line. Many rely on ultrasound as a tool to teach their patients to be able to fire them To say the movement is subtle is an overstatement.

Core strength is incredibly misunderstood. Your core is composed pretty much of everything that ties into your pelvis. A strong core requires strong and functional Multifidus, Transverse abdominus, glutes (all series) hamstrings and maybe last...your large mover stomach muscles (the same ones that we love to pine over and call it "core strength". If you have a strong core you will be more powerful and less prone to injury, both in explosive/dynamic movements and in sustained positions. That's much more fact than opinion. There's a reason that teams of all sports have and continue to put so much energy in this area.

Flexibility can be changed. Static stretch that affects attachment points aren't going to do much IMO...and more likely will lead to injury. I have gained considerable flexibility with dynamic stretching. Some dynamic stretching routines are designed to strengthen and stretch through ROM. Guys like Kobe, Steve Nash, Tony Gonzalez, Dana Torres (ie Mature Athletes that are functioning as world class athletes in their late 30s and 40s spend a lot of time working on dynamic stretching). Before I would address specific tightness in a muscle or muscle group, I would make sure that the kinetic chain was functioning as it should before I went headlong into a stretching regime.

2 back surgeries and 2 hip scopes later, I can nearly touch my palms to the floor, can do unilateral squats and deadlifts and can put down a strong sprint and sustained power in a reasonably aero position. I asked Pruitt about getting more aero. He asked me how long I wanted to keep riding...I said for 50 more years...he said lets get you in a position you can maintain for life. FWIW, he's changed Chavenels and Boonens positions to be more upright. He said that he would even like them to me more than they are. When he first changed Boonen's position, the DS freaked out. It was only after look over the power, physiologic, and wind tunnel data, that the DS relented and agreed.

Anyhow...gots to go.

Word is born. :cool:

ShoMyOFace
02-17-2013, 08:35 AM
If you are doing the same stretches repeatedly, change them up. There are many exercises to stretch the same part of the body, vary them a bit - plus the roller