PDA

View Full Version : Stupid OT question of the day

Louis
02-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Why in the world does the Trader Joe's (http://www.traderjoes.com/index.asp) web site not have a search function?

Several times in the last few weeks I've wondered if they carry product X. They have lots of info on the site about their products, but if you're looking for something specific there's no good way to find it.

In this day and age, how in the world can a retailer have a web site like that and not allow you to search for a specific product? IMO that's nuts.

(Of course one can always use Google and limit the search to just the TJ's site, but that's an additional hassle that they should not force you to have to deal with.)

eddief
02-14-2013, 08:47 PM
I can't quite imagine why you'd need want a search function for Trader Joes. I have a very limited imagination though.

Louis
02-14-2013, 08:49 PM
I can't quite imagine why you'd need want a search function for Trader Joes. I have a very limited imagination though.

Masala dosas

thirdgenbird
02-14-2013, 08:52 PM
I see a search bubble in the fearless flyer tab.

eddief
02-14-2013, 08:54 PM
http://www.livingtraderjoes.com/trader-joes-masala-dosa/

thirdgenbird
02-14-2013, 08:55 PM
Sorry, that was tablet/mobile view. It wasnt a full search either.

Louis
02-14-2013, 08:56 PM
I see a search bubble in the fearless flyer tab.

True - I hadn't seen that. (Except that it appears to only search the Flyer)

Louis
02-14-2013, 08:59 PM
http://www.livingtraderjoes.com/trader-joes-masala-dosa/

Interesting - I wasn't aware of that "fan site."

A Google search turned up evidence that they carry it, but short of going through their entire product list, I can't seem to find it. It's there, and I'll eventually find it, but not without more effort than you'd think ought to be required.

eddief
02-14-2013, 09:25 PM
got one?

Interesting - I wasn't aware of that "fan site."

A Google search turned up evidence that they carry it, but short of going through their entire product list, I can't seem to find it. It's there, and I'll eventually find it, but not without more effort than you'd think ought to be required.

Louis
02-14-2013, 09:28 PM
got one?

These days one shouldn't have to resort to that, especially for a retailer as savvy as TJ's appears to be.

slidey
02-14-2013, 09:29 PM
And now that you mention it, I can mention my idea of how much easier it'd be for in-shop experience if someone could just punch in the item name, and there was a result telling you which aisle to find it in, and if it was in stock. Although, I don't think the result mentioning if something is in stock is nearly as important as knowing where it is located. This is because I can imagine situations of result showing "In Stock" but then not finding it in its correct place as someone decided to buy it, and then changed their mind at the desserts section, and just left it at a nearby rack, etc.

Oh well, I'm done :)

got one?

eddief
02-14-2013, 09:30 PM
to write an ap for that. It would be cool to talk to Siri. Siri where the F is the tin foil?

And now that you mention it, I can mention my idea of how much easier it'd be for in-shop experience if someone could just punch in the item name, and there was a result telling you which aisle to find it in, and if it was in stock. I don't think result including if in stock is as important, if you can know where to look as I can imagine situations of result showing "In Stock" but then not finding it in its correct place as someone decided to buy it, and then changed their mind at the desserts section, and just left it at a nearby rack, etc.

Oh well, I'm done :)

slidey
02-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Hmm...I was about to begin by saying how I need access to a lot of TJ's data, but I really only need a small subset of their data. It could also be user-volunteered data, as I only need to know where an item is located, and based on a pattern match just spew the resulting aisle number. Interesting! :banana:

Whoa...[user-dependent data could mean a social-interaction app.]© More interesting!

to write an ap for that. It would be cool to talk to Siri. Siri where the F is the tin foil?

alessandro
02-14-2013, 09:39 PM
(Of course one can always use Google and limit the search to just the TJ's site, but that's an additional hassle that they should not force you to have to deal with.)

There ain't no search to encourage you to come into the store, browse, and be separated from your silver. Duh. ;)

How is typing this in Google masala dosa site:traderjoes.com (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=masala+dosa+site:traderjoes.com&oq=masala+dosa+site:traderjoes.com&gs_l=hp.3...2765.14820.0.15212.35.29.2.3.3.2.304.3 765.12j9j6j1.28.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.3.psy-ab._EsRK2BVzfs&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42553238,d.dmQ&fp=7ec0c43b67a93c4f&biw=1487&bih=807) more hassle than coming on the Paceline and asking the question? :bike:

Louis
02-14-2013, 09:43 PM
more hassle than coming on the Paceline and asking the question?

Better social interaction here. (sometimes) ;)

Actually I did do that, but look at the Google results and see if you can find the item - still not an easy task.

eddief
02-14-2013, 09:57 PM
and spending a ton of my shareholder money to do so. Go Marissa.

Hmm...I was about to begin by saying how I need access to a lot of TJ's data, but I really only need a small subset of their data. It could also be user-volunteered data, as I only need to know where an item is located, and based on a pattern match just spew the resulting aisle number. Interesting! :banana:

Whoa...[user-dependent data could mean a social-interaction app.]© More interesting!

Louis
02-14-2013, 10:07 PM
and spending a ton of my shareholder money to do so. Go Marissa.

She's showing quite a bit of skin, there Eddie - sure you want to entrust your hard-earned cash to that sort of woman?

http://www.glamour.com/images/women-of-the-year/1103-marissa-mayer_at.jpg

alessandro
02-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Hm. It would seem that you have a point.
Whole Foods: Nada.
Straub's: Has search, yields actual products.
Dierberg's: Search, but doesn't search the stuff on the shelves.
Schnuck's: Search turns up only recipes.

Conclusion: They have large inventories (15-60K SKUs), some of it changes frequently, yada... they want you to come into the store.

Oh, and Trader Joe's apparently has just 4,000 SKUs.

eddief
02-14-2013, 10:18 PM
You're right. She probably does not give a hoot about my measely shares.

Louis
02-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Hm. It would seem that you have a point.
Straub's: Has search, yields actual products.
Dierberg's: Search, but doesn't search the stuff on the shelves.
Schnuck's: Search turns up only recipes.

Conclusion: They have large inventories (15-60K SKUs), some of it changes frequently, yada... they want you to come into the store.

Oh, and Trader Joe's apparently has just 4,000 SKUs.

You actually looked up St Louis area retailers! Very impressive. :)

Edit: Unless you're from the St Louis area, and already knew our grocery stores.

Louis
02-14-2013, 10:31 PM

Whole Foods Product Search (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/about-our-products)

Edit: But it isn't a complete search.

If Lowes / Target / WalMart can do an in-store search, I don't see why these outfits shouldn't.

rugbysecondrow
02-15-2013, 06:27 AM
These days one shouldn't have to resort to that, especially for a retailer as savvy as TJ's appears to be.

It seems like an unreasonable expectation for a grocery store to have all their products searchable online. Sure, if there was an online purchase function, but why otherwise? Just pick up the phone and call.

rugbysecondrow
02-15-2013, 06:30 AM
Whole Foods Product Search (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/about-our-products)

Edit: But it isn't a complete search.

If Lowes / Target / WalMart can do an in-store search, I don't see why these outfits shouldn't.

You can order online from those stores and make purchases. Frankly, I don't trust the accuracy of quantity shown on the website vs what is actually in stock. I call to verify anyway as I have been burned in the past.

victoryfactory
02-15-2013, 06:40 AM
I love Joe's.
Around here we have Fairway, Whole Foods and many others but
Joes has the best mix of natural, Veg, trendy and ethnic stuff at by far
the lowest price. I bet if you called the local Joe's they would help you.

As for Masala Dosa. Make your own. Get a simple dosa recipe on line
(It's just a slightly crispy crepe) And make your own masala (any savory mix
of veg with curry spices, potato/pea being the most popular)
Some Indian restaurants present this dish like a baseball bat on a plate. Puffed
up and crispy. I think they whip the batter for presentation, home style is a bit
less puffed up and dramatic.
Most Indian groceries will have several dosa mixes in stock. Just add water
and make 'em like pancakes. When I'm lazy I even use a big flour tortilla and
fill with the masala and toast. That's sometimes known as roti in Carib/asian
cultures.

VF

Louis
02-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Sure, if there was an online purchase function, but why otherwise?

Maybe so regular and potential customers can learn in a convenient manner about the products they carry.

MattTuck
02-15-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm waiting for when I'll be able to click on a product online and it will be transported to my pantry.

Patrick Stewart will be a good spokesman for the product.

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot.

As to original question, I think it is just cost. They'd rather spend their money doing something else (either passing along lower prices, paying the owners, getting new products, etc)

rugbysecondrow
02-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Maybe so regular and potential customers can learn in a convenient manner about the products they carry.

Again, unreasonable expectation.

The internet is a good tool, it is not the ONLY tool. Employ another and you will be fine.

1centaur
02-15-2013, 02:39 PM
TJ's as a concept has what it has and when it's gone or out of stock, oh well. In order to search for in-store availability, there has to be a database hooked into store inventory that is real time. It has to be a store by store system. Target and Best Buy are the kinds of chains that want that real time feedback going to HQ for management oversight, and probably figured out that people these days go to retail vs. the Net for in-stock convenience, almost period, so why not expand some of the data they already get to the Net. TJ's isn't competing against the Net like that. The occasional Louis that goes there or not based on a single item is not how they're going to hit their sales goals. So the payback on a database and a front end that may or may not fit with their existing systems is probably not high.

Someday, all scanners will come linked to databases that play well with the Net, and there will be RFID tags on all retail items, but we're a few years away from that.

bargainguy
02-15-2013, 02:42 PM
IIRC, Trader Joes and Aldi have the same parent company, but very, very different marketing niches. If you've ever walked into both, the shopping experience could not be more different.

Some stores do not maintain online search engines to encourage you to come to one of their retail stores instead, especially if there is no online ordering connected to the website. It costs a fair amount to develop and maintain an online inventory as far as products, pricing, etc. I believe TJ's offers a lower price on many items as a result. This is all pure speculation, of course.

Louis
02-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Again, unreasonable expectation.

Paul, I respectfully suggest that you join the 20th century.

Louis
02-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Guys, I'm not asking for an up-to-the-second accounting of everthing on the shelf in my local stores. I'm only asking that I be able to search what is already on their web site. Others apparently disagree, but I personally don't think that that's asking for too much.

1centaur
02-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Well, part of their problem is that so many of their products are grouped into categories that it feels like they could just re-sort and have a full product listing. However, there are many products they carry that do not make the cut for those guides, so their website is an extension of the Fearless Flyer - here's some of our stuff. Annoyingly quirky, but true to their roots.

Personally, I'd love to know when they get their malted milk balls in for Easter so I can buy 20 cartons. Two years ago they had way too many and blew them out after Easter; last year they had too few and they were gone before Easter. The price for the quality is unmatched online all year.

Louis
02-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Well, part of their problem is that so many of their products are grouped into categories that it feels like they could just re-sort and have a full product listing.

Agreed. Everything in one category sorted alphabetically in one long list would be a start. At least then folks could search the page (or use the browser search function). This shouldn't be rocket science.

rugbysecondrow
02-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Search on brother Louis. Best of luck.

sworcester
02-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Why in the world does the Trader Joe's (http://www.traderjoes.com/index.asp) web site not have a search function?

valid question w/out an answer

Tony T
02-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Guys, I'm not asking for an up-to-the-second accounting of everthing on the shelf in my local stores. I'm only asking that I be able to search what is already on their web site.

Of course your right. It's just poor web-design, or an oversight on TJ's part.
As you already know, just use google: "keyword site:www.traderjoes.com"

(can't believe that we're at 3 pages! :banana:)

Louis
02-15-2013, 08:38 PM
(can't believe that we're at 3 pages! :banana:)

The unexamined molehill is not worth living. (or something like that) :)