PDA

View Full Version : Let's help Firefly

dekindy
02-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Quite awhile ago, months or a year, I brought to their attention that none of the topic selections on their home page were working in Internet Explorer; work fine with Firefox. Am I the only one having this problem? I would not think so since I rarely have a IE problem.

Click on the link to Firefly and see if the topic selections are visible. Since I have used Firefox and know where they are, I can find them and am able to display the boxes but no text is visible and the links do not work.

Probably not using all the correct website development language, but linking to the page it should be obvious. Let them know if you do or do not have this problem.

thwart
02-14-2013, 08:12 PM
BTW, works fine in Safari...

Tony T
02-14-2013, 08:15 PM
...and Opera

eddief
02-14-2013, 08:21 PM
looks like a blog with a photo to me, not like a "normal" topic-ed website.

spaced_ghost
02-14-2013, 08:40 PM
how about let's help web developers... and stop using IE

slidey
02-14-2013, 08:46 PM
+1

Also, it works like a website should on Chrome.

However, it seems like the OP might be winding his way to a new Firefly...good luck on that! And, if this is true, you might want to install another browser just to make your life during this process, smoother.

thegunner
02-14-2013, 09:21 PM

there's really nothing wrong with ie9+ (and this is coming from a web dev). it's their old stuff that's really junk...

Rada
02-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Firefox for Linux looks fine.

dekindy
02-14-2013, 09:29 PM
looks like a blog with a photo to me, not like a "normal" topic-ed website.

That is what I am seeing. However it looks like a normal website in Firefox.

BTW, that is why I have Firefox installed for when I have a problem with IE. Also, there are websites that Firefox does not work with.

I was involved with a website briefly and was fanatical about testing everything with IE and Firefox; other web browers had such a small portion of the market that I did not worry about those but would have addressed it if I had a complaint.

dekindy
02-14-2013, 09:31 PM
+1

However, it seems like the OP might be winding his way to a new Firefly...good luck on that! And, if this is true, you might want to install another browser just to make your life during this process, smoother.

Very big leap and I wish it were true. Just visiting the advertisers and want them to do well. Would not someone to get turned off just because the website did not work right.

bagochips3
02-14-2013, 10:40 PM
IE is pretty broken for me. All the headings ("Firefly Bicycles", "Firefly :: Custom Bikes :: Custom Shop", etc.) don't show up and are thus not clickable. The menu on the top barely shows up (just see white rectangles) and is clickable, but can't read any of the menu text. Using IE9 on Win7.

Looks fine on Chrome and Firefox on Win7.

William
02-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Looks fine to me in Safari.

On a related note, my own website works fine on Safari, but when I would go there with Firefox things wouldn't load correctly. Photos and text doubling on themselves etc... The host company could never tell me why it was doing that. Annoying as heck really.

William

ThaRiddla
02-15-2013, 07:11 AM
:banana:

1/2 Wheeler
02-15-2013, 07:31 AM
I don't think Firefly is the one needing help.

Looks/works fine in IE for me.

mnoble485
02-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Works fine on my I pad although I should probably stay away from the pictures of those bikes.

Mike

dekindy
02-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Firefly replied to my email and they have done about all they can do to address the problem; quote:

"We tried to make it work with Internet Explorer and Windows 7, but it wouldn't work without significant changes. Because it works with all other browsers, and because it works with Explorer in Windows 8, we decided to leave it as is."

malcolm
02-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Firefly replied to my email and they have done about all they can do to address the problem; quote:

"We tried to make it work with Internet Explorer and Windows 7, but it wouldn't work without significant changes. Because it works with all other browsers, and because it works with Explorer in Windows 8, we decided to leave it as is."

Just tried it from work with windows 7 and IE and you can't find the tabs unless you know where they are from prior visits and I've been there enough to know. Works fine with firefox on my mac at home.

Climb01742
02-15-2013, 01:08 PM
IE is a pain for website development. tweaking a site for every browser is a huge job, and a pain. even more complicated today is building your site with responsive design, meaning your site 'responds' to the screen you're using...laptop/desktop, tablet or mobile. most folks, in particular smaller businesses, have finite, limited budgets for site development. something has to go. 99% of developers toss IE. i know all this cause i'm going thru it as we speak. oy.

dekindy
02-15-2013, 01:26 PM
IE is a pain for website development. tweaking a site for every browser is a huge job, and a pain. even more complicated today is building your site with responsive design, meaning your site 'responds' to the screen you're using...laptop/desktop, tablet or mobile. most folks, in particular smaller businesses, have finite, limited budgets for site development. something has to go. 99% of developers toss IE. i know all this cause i'm going thru it as we speak. oy.

How can the browser with by far the largest market share be ignored or is that not true anymore?

Keith A
02-15-2013, 01:33 PM
How can the browser with by far the largest market share be ignored or is that not true anymore?IE no longer is the leader...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/Usage_share_of_web_browsers_%28Source_StatCounter% 29.svg

CunegoFan
02-15-2013, 01:38 PM

More sites should do this. It's time for the tech world to give MSFT the middle finger if it cannot abide by standards.

Climb01742
02-15-2013, 05:55 PM
How can the browser with by far the largest market share be ignored or is that not true anymore?

the world is trending away from IE and microsoft, and you build your site for where the puck is going. beyond that, tablet (read ipad) and mobile are the future for ecommerce, so that's also where folks are putting resources and IE is irrelevant there. lastly, 99% of developers use macs.;)