PDA

View Full Version : First ride back (with bonus Ergott wheels).

akelman
02-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Having spent four months off the bike due to a spinal injury, I went out for for my first post-surgery ride yesterday. I don't know if it was because of the new Ergott wheels (http://www.ergottwheels.com/) that arrived earlier in the day, or just the joy of being back in the saddle, but it turns out that this bike riding thing is pretty fun.

Anyway, Eric builds a mean set of wheels, and he's a pleasure to work with. He has clear ideas about what makes sense for a build, which is helpful if you're an idiot like me, but he's also very responsive to feedback. The wheels he put together for me (silver Record hubs laced to A23s) are absolutely outstanding. Assuming my spine holds up, I'll report back in a few months when I have a couple thousand miles on these wheels.

Louis
02-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Ari,

Congratulations for getting back in the saddle. :hello::hello::hello:

Best of luck with the health issues.

Louis

Ralph
02-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Nice report. Be careful....Don't over do it, listen to your Doc.

akelman
02-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Ari,

Congratulations for getting back in the saddle. :hello::hello::hello:

Best of luck with the health issues.

Louis

Thanks, Louis. It was really nice to be back out there, even if my fitness sucks.

akelman
02-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Don't over do it, listen to your Doc.

I'll definitely be careful. That said, my surgeon isn't exactly...chatty. I mean, he's like the perfect stereotype* of a surgeon: incredibly gifted with a knife in his hands, but not exactly a people person.

* Yes, I know many surgeons are not like this.

FlashUNC
02-14-2013, 06:13 PM
So no alloy Campy clear outs any time soon?

Welcome back.

T.J.
02-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Glad you are back out on the bike and enjoying it:hello:

Louis
02-14-2013, 06:20 PM
but not exactly a people person.

A buddy of mine at work had some sort of spine surgery just the other day (the type where they go in through the front of your neck) and right now he's having all sorts of pain problems - he isn't allowed to lift more than 5 lbs and can't even do the dishes (allowed according to what he's been told, but just scrubbing a pan on a Friday resulted in a whole weekend in excruciating pain).

But here's what I think it a major part of the problem - the doc's communication skills are so poor that they are unable to explain to him the mechanics of what's going on so he can become a more informed patient and better understand what type of actions will make things worse and what type of actions will be OK. And of course, my buddy is a very sharp, very intelligent engineer, who wants to understand things, so he can be a better patient, so he can get better. But no significant help from the docs. It's ridiculous.

Tandem Rider
02-14-2013, 06:35 PM
I have several good friends who are Doc's, quite moody on workdays. When in a good mood, are some of the best people around, when in a bad mood, I just pair up with someone else. Interpersonal skills are not their strong suit to say the least. I think that it must be a personality trait common to the profession. Thankfully, we have those people too.

But the more important thing is that you are getting better, out on the bike, and having fun. If you are doing that, fitness will come along just fine.

Peter B
02-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Welcome back into the paceline Ari. We'll pull for awhile!

wooly
02-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Good to hear Ari - CONGRATS. And new wheels to boot. Player!

thwart
02-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Doc's... When in a good mood, are some of the best people around, when in a bad mood, I just pair up with someone else. Interpersonal skills are not their strong suit to say the least.
Hey! I resemble... I mean resent that remark. :no:

On a more positive note: Glad to have you back, Ari.

fa63
02-14-2013, 07:01 PM
When the surgeon who operated on my mom's brain came into the waiting room, we were all convinced she was dead based on his demeanor. Then he told us everything went perfect :rolleyes:

Happy riding, hope the spine holds up.

2LeftCleats
02-14-2013, 07:12 PM
The Ergott wheels are more predictable than your spine. At least mine are. Flawless. The spine--not so much. Best wishes.

ergott
02-14-2013, 07:17 PM
So happy to help inspire you to get out there. Here's to many more carefree miles!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Tandem Rider
02-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Hey! I resemble... I mean resent that remark. :no:

On a more positive note: Glad to have you back, Ari.

Best people around!

dekindy
02-14-2013, 07:49 PM
So sad to hear when someone is unable to ride and very happy to hear that they have recovered. Did not ride for a number of years and now that I am riding again have no idea why I gave it up.

thegunner
02-14-2013, 09:20 PM
congrats ari! here's hoping to many much more wheel recycling for years to come!

akelman
02-14-2013, 09:41 PM
So no alloy Campy clear outs any time soon?

Welcome back.

It's always a bummer for the vultures when it turns out the corpse still has a little life left in it.

Glad you are back out on the bike and enjoying it:hello:

Thanks. Much appreciated. I've still got a long road ahead of me, but I think if I take it slowly, I'll get there.

Welcome back into the paceline Ari. We'll pull for awhile!

Good to hear Ari - CONGRATS. And new wheels to boot. Player!

Glad to have you back, Ari.

Happy riding, hope the spine holds up.

very happy to hear that they have recovered

congrats ari!

And thanks to you all. It sounds trite, I know, but being able to come here while I was recovered really did keep me focused on getting back on the bike.

akelman
02-14-2013, 09:44 PM
So happy to help inspire you to get out there. Here's to many more carefree miles!

No kidding, after opening the box and seeing the sparkly rims, I just had to get out and take a ride. These are absolutely beautiful wheels. I really appreciate your outstanding work.

William
02-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Very happy to hear you're back on two wheels Ari.....Ergott wheels no less!:cool: Wishing you many happy and safe miles on them my friend!

William

pdmtong
02-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Welcome back Ari!

Aim to see you on top of Diablo at the ATOC!

aoe
02-14-2013, 11:59 PM
Way to go, Ari. Inspirational, really.

mnoble485
02-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Welcome back Ari, I remember my first ride after having bilateral TKA's. I went about 5 miles out and back. I was grinning like a kid in a candy store. Be carefull out there.

Mike

texbike
02-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Congratulations on the new wheels and new rides Ari. It always feels great to be back on the bike after a long break.

Texbike

DRZRM
02-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Hey man, glad to hear it. Maybe if we schedule LI this semmer, we can pick up your next set of Eric's wheels in person. Now you need to start looking for a new travel frame.

How's the fit on your old frames? When is that Moots due back?

fuzzalow
02-15-2013, 07:17 AM
Always good to hear of the return to cycling by a rider who made it a goal to get back to the saddle again. And then had to guts & determination to get to one finish line which reopens the start line again for many more.

Congratulations. You dog, weaseled (note how this rhymes closely with Weisel and means the same) a new set of wheels in the process! Many healthy miles with those too.

rwsaunders
02-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Welcome back to Camp Paceline!:banana:

MattTuck
02-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Ari,

Awesome. Now take it easy. Slow and steady is the way to come back from that recovery.

Best, Matt

FlashUNC
02-15-2013, 09:21 AM
It's always a bummer for the vultures when it turns out the corpse still has a little life left in it.

Circle of life man.

roguedog
02-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Keep at it, Ari. Good to see you back. And it's just getting to be the best time of year out here. Those lovely spring conditions will surely beckon you if not the sound of the wheels turning :)

19wisconsin64
02-15-2013, 09:55 AM
back in the saddle! welcome back!

will you be using a little wider tire (28C) for a little while? just asking.

may you ride many safe and healthy miles!

cheers

thegunner
02-15-2013, 10:51 AM
was going to say "this thread is useless without pics," but that's not really true.

although pics would help ;)

majl
02-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Good to hear that you are back on the bike Ari. :beer:

akelman
02-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks again, everyone.

akelman
02-15-2013, 11:12 AM
will you be using a little wider tire (28C) for a little while?

23 mm rims with 25 mm tires are plush enough for me, I think. That said, I'm hoping to buy a frame one of these days with a slightly taller head tube than what I currently have in the shed.

akelman
02-15-2013, 11:13 AM
was going to say "this thread is useless without pics," but that's not really true.

although pics would help ;)

I'll take some pics of the wheels in about ten days, when I return from a long trip to Colorado and New Mexico.

henrypretz
02-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Ari -

I don't post too often, but your getting back on the bike is a big deal in my book. Enjoy!

Henry

MattTuck
02-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Because someone had to....

Don't get too pumped up and get carried away. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mQbAozmBKA)

akelman
02-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Ari -

I don't post too often, but your getting back on the bike is a big deal in my book. Enjoy!

Henry

Thanks, Henry. That means a lot to me.

tlp
02-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Welcome back, Ari.

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Welcome back, brother.

maxn
02-17-2013, 01:39 PM
nice… glad to hear you are back on the bike!

Len J
02-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Awesome. Congrats on the recovery.

Len

gearguywb
02-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Glad to hear you are back on the bike!