PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like recumbents? See video.

Ralph
02-14-2013, 03:57 PM
This is a video of a group of Florida retired folks on a recent recumbent ride in Central Florida on N side of Orlando, on a portion of one of our 14' wide trails. Going thru the tunnels, alongside some small lakes, by a Panera's on the trail, etc. Bunch of folks just having some fun together. Nothing serious. At least they are out! Just Florida life. Probably a 10-12 mile ride to where they eat something, or 20 or so both ways. I see them fairly regularly as I use the trail to get out in the country. WARNING.....probably boring for you young folks. Click on beginning picture to get it started. Turn your sound on.

http://vimeo.com/59650216

Saxon
02-14-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm a big recumbent guy. Here's a video of my brother and I getting our 70's groove on :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txAbE4DrDS0

Louis
02-14-2013, 11:12 PM
This is a video of a group of Florida retired folks on a recent recumbent ride in Central Florida on N side of Orlando

Good for them. I'd think that FL is a perfect spot for recumbents. If for some reason, say due to back issues, a recumbent was my only option, I would gladly ride one. If it weren't so darn hilly near my house I'd probably get one just for kicks.

EPOJoe
02-14-2013, 11:24 PM
And for those days when you can't be bothered to balance on two wheels...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ylt2-3OG5U

MattTuck
02-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Good for them. I'd think that FL is a perfect spot for recumbents. If for some reason, say due to back issues, a recumbent was my only option, I would gladly ride one. If it weren't so darn hilly near my house I'd probably get one just for kicks.

A recumbent going up hill is one of the scariest things I've ever seen on two wheels. lumbering death trap does not even begin to come close to what it looks like.

Agree about Florida, seems perfect terrain. I remember reading about a guy that did some tour de france stages on a recumbent and did them solo on the recumbent as fast as the pro on their double triangle antiquated bikes.

Louis
02-14-2013, 11:41 PM
I remember reading about a guy that did some tour de france stages on a recumbent and did them solo on the recumbent as fast as the pro on their double triangle antiquated bikes.

And you can be certain that if the rules allowed, all the TDF teams would also use them (for flat stages). At that point I bet you'd see a heck of a lot more racer-boy wannabees suddenly think that recumbents are a lot cooler than they do now.

EPOJoe
02-14-2013, 11:47 PM
Most older style "old school" recumbents don't climb all that well, but there's a whole new school of lightweight 'bents that can climb as well as an upright. Recumbents such as the Bacchetta CA2, the Carbent and the Rans Xstream are redefining the capabilities of the recumbent. A team riding the Xstreams kicked serious you-know-what throughout the '09 RAAM, taking on some serious mountain ranges, and putting the hurt on the upright riders.

http://www.rans.com/ITR79.htm

Louis
02-14-2013, 11:52 PM
What's different about the new ones?

Edit: I thought the problem with 'bents and climbing is that you can't get out of the saddle.

EPOJoe
02-15-2013, 12:07 AM
I think the biggest differences with the newer 'bents is a focus on real weight reduction and refined design, with more of an eye toward performance instead of just comfort. The older 'bents usually weighed in around forty pounds, with some of the newer bikes being sub-twenty pounds. Supposedly, they fell into a great climbing design with the Xstreams, and from the RAAM results it looks like they have, but I haven't personally had a chance to try one. In some instances standing on the pedals can help (the question of if standing helps or not is a long standing-no pun intended-long running argument over on the recumbent forums) but apparently, with a fit rider mashing or spinning, they can be just as effective without standing.

Bob Ross
02-15-2013, 06:12 AM
In some instances standing on the pedals can help (the question of if standing helps or not is a long standing-no pun intended-long running argument over on the recumbent forums) but apparently, with a fit rider mashing or spinning, they can be just as effective without standing.

I've never ridden a 'bent but always had a perverse fascination with them...and I distinctly remember that when I first became aware of them (late 70s/early 80s I think?) I was told that being able to push against the resistance offered by the seat back negated the necessity to stand in order to get power.

Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

fuzzalow
02-15-2013, 06:53 AM
I dunno ding about recumbents. I'm doubtful that their handicap in climbing has anything at all to do with not being able to stand outta the saddle. A better than average climber like Jan Ulrich never got out of the saddle.

Suggesting that a new generation of lightweight recumbent bikes is better, faster uphill is as spurious as claiming that improvement for double triangle bikes. What else would be expected of the bike industry to say?

I think the reason 'bents climb like crud is that kicked back, barcolounger, Harley Davidson highway pegs position. Not enough closed angle with the hip makes for poor recruitment of the gluts. Giving away that much muscle capacity is digging a pretty deep hole.

'Bents look like they punch a nice small hole in the air so on the flat, even on mainly quad power alone, they might hold their own.

LesMiner
02-15-2013, 07:51 AM
My wife and I ride a recumbent tandem from to time over the last 10 years in addition to our road bikes. You do use different muscles to push the pedals versus spinning. Climbing is more difficult because you can not stand to use your body weight. It does offere an aerodynamic advantage. Many people will get on our wheel in a head wind. In a head wide one rider would ride up ahead of us and within a short while he would fall back in behind us. We have ridden all over Minnesota and western Wisconsin. We ride it on charity rides and places where we are more interested in sight seeing than distance or speed. The stoker can see much better by not being within a few inches of the captain's back. The ride is pretty good since you are on a long beam suspended between two wheels.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s126/LesMiner/MS150/MS150Jun07.jpg

danl1
02-15-2013, 07:39 PM
What's different about the new ones?

Edit: I thought the problem with 'bents and climbing is that you can't get out of the saddle.

Why would that matter? Being able to press against the seatback would allow greater force on the pedals, not less.

IMO, It's more about raw weight, and do some degree about positional differences.

danl1
02-15-2013, 07:42 PM
I've never ridden a 'bent but always had a perverse fascination with them...and I distinctly remember that when I first became aware of them (late 70s/early 80s I think?) I was told that being able to push against the resistance offered by the seat back negated the necessity to stand in order to get power.

If the issue is about being able to deliver raw force to the pedals, sure it's true. But that's only a limiter if you are overgeared, and most 'bents are not.

You might be giving up some 'pull on the bars.' but some bents can be set up to get at least some of that back.

Louis
02-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Why would that matter? Being able to press against the seatback would allow greater force on the pedals, not less.

I have enough issues with my back, I don't want to add to them using it as a support to push against with my legs.

pitonpat
02-15-2013, 07:59 PM
But I'm impressed with these folks. They are obviously reaping the benefits of their bikes, both physically and socially. I am glad to see anyone, especially retired folks (maybe that's because I'm getting close myself), getting out for exercise. That said, I do think 'bents are interesting. I would think for really long distance cycling they might be a great option.

dekindy
04-30-2013, 12:08 PM
I climb sitting down almost exclusively. Based upon that could I be expected to climb about the same on a recumbent as my diamond frame?

William
04-30-2013, 12:40 PM
...I was told that being able to push against the resistance offered by the seat back negated the necessity to stand in order to get power.

They banned these after the 91 Tour so.... probably.:)

William
04-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Most older style "old school" recumbents don't climb all that well, but there's a whole new school of lightweight 'bents that can climb as well as an upright. Recumbents such as the Bacchetta CA2, the Carbent and the Rans Xstream are redefining the capabilities of the recumbent. A team riding the Xstreams kicked serious you-know-what throughout the '09 RAAM, taking on some serious mountain ranges, and putting the hurt on the upright riders.

They kind of remind me of the Stingrays with fork extensions that were around when I was a kid.

William

SpokeValley
04-30-2013, 01:00 PM
I took a good look at 'bents a few years ago when, after our third RAGBRAI, one of my bestest buddies was diagnosed with myesthenia gravis, (he's 56) a seldom fatal but damned inconvenient neuromuscular disorder. After he had returned home after Iowa, he was having trouble holding his head up to ride. Not good so he went to Plan B.

He got a Baccetta Strada (two wheel "high wheel", rather than a trike) while he was being treated and continued riding. He got better and is back on his regular bike but he told me that he enjoyed riding his 'bent. Now he lives in Mississippi so they don't get a lot of hills out there but lots of wind. I can't comment on climbing. Says he's going to keep it to ride.

One of my riding buddies here was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor about a year ago and his wife told me that he was like a puppy that wasn't allowed to go out to play. The docs said no riding because of balance. So, we went to an exceptionally cool guy nearby who sold 'bents exclusively, both pedal and hand driven and fixed him up.

This time I went on a test ride and it was interesting. Just being able to look straight ahead was neat; certainly a comfortable riding position. It was heavier and slower; not geared for any speed, but it fit my buddy perfectly and he's still riding it.

Like someone said earlier, these guys are out riding and enjoying the experience...more power to them.

If a time ever comes that I can't sit on a regular bike, I'll be right there with them.

wc1934
04-30-2013, 06:43 PM

yup
and raam solo record is just under 11 days -

eddief
04-30-2013, 06:53 PM
and took a major dive into recumbents. Had one each of a steel, aluminum, and Ti long wheel base Easy Racer. And also one Bachetta short wheel base high racer with front and rear 650 wheels. a Volae medium racer with 650 rear and 406 front. And then finally a Trice tadpole trike. I enjoyed all the experimenting and found the Ti Easy Racer to be best of all. But thank god my neck and back came back to me so now the focus can stay on diamond frame upright bikes. The big trick on a bent is the ability to spin like a mofo in low gears to get up hills. Anything under 4 mph and the steering gets wonky and you just gotta spin like a mofo.

Frankwurst
04-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Bents are both fun and comfortable. I've had one and the only problem I had with it, was I like to stand on the pedals from time to time and stretch, move around, climb, scratch my butt, whatever. IMO they get a bad rap. What the hell if it gets people out and riding and getting exercise it's all good.:beer:

Chrissy
03-11-2014, 05:03 PM
I came across this thread from last year and thought it might be nice to update it a bit. This past year, Maria Parker rode a recumbent in RAAM. She is the second woman to complete RAAM on a bent bike and did so on a CruzBike Vendetta. This bike is unique to recumbents because it has FWD and a moving bottom bracket. Here is her amazing comeback story:

http://cruzbike.com/raam-2013-maria-parker%E2%80%99s-amazing-comeback-victory

In a nut shell, the crew van was totaled when rear ended by a drunk driver. She was out of the race for 24 hours. After this setback, she was able to catch the other women in the mountains and win first overall. An amazing athlete on an amazing bike.

Regarding the question of bents and climbing, I have ridden recumbents for the past 10 years. I have always found them slower on climbs than upright bikes until the Vendetta. They are generally heavier than diamond frame bikes and lose efficiency with their long chain line. The Vendetta is a different beast however. The FWD setup makes for a short chain and direct chain line. The other thing that seems like the magic ingredient is the front triangle. Similar to diamond frames, you can engage your core and use the bars to increase your thrust on the pedals. Standing or not standing, upright riders use their torso and the bars to generate a bunch of power. The fact that she was able to catch and pass the competition in the mountains speaks to the unique climbing platform she was riding in addition to her athleticism.

I like all bikes but find this one particularly intriguing. Looking forward to logging some miles this summer and taking it to the hills.

I think she currently holds the womens 24 hour record too...

http://www.ultraracenews.com/2012/10/25/maria-parkers-24-hour-road-record/

:hello:

EPOJoe
03-13-2014, 04:31 PM
I can get into FWD...

Black Dog
03-13-2014, 06:18 PM
I dunno ding about recumbents. I'm doubtful that their handicap in climbing has anything at all to do with not being able to stand outta the saddle. A better than average climber like Jan Ulrich never got out of the saddle.

Suggesting that a new generation of lightweight recumbent bikes is better, faster uphill is as spurious as claiming that improvement for double triangle bikes. What else would be expected of the bike industry to say?

I think the reason 'bents climb like crud is that kicked back, barcolounger, Harley Davidson highway pegs position. Not enough closed angle with the hip makes for poor recruitment of the gluts. Giving away that much muscle capacity is digging a pretty deep hole.

'Bents look like they punch a nice small hole in the air so on the flat, even on mainly quad power alone, they might hold their own.

We'll there seems to be some anecdotal evidence that the performe well in the mountains (see quote below).