PDA

View Full Version : Miami Beach bike rentals?

davids
11-08-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm going to be at a conference in Miami Beach next week. Any ideas about a place to rent a decent road bike for a few days? I won't have a car, so it would have to be very near by (it looks like my hotel is right in the heart of the beach.)

I haven't been to MB since it was crawling with old retirees. Has it changed much? ;)

CNY rider
11-08-2005, 01:37 PM
I go to Miami Beach/South Beach at least annually (just booked for this February!). I have not done any riding there. Honestly it does not seem real bike friendly to me. The beaches are on a narrow spit of land. Perhaps if you go over the intracoastal (inter?sp) waterway there is better riding. The roads in South Beach are very congested, narrow, and lots of folks aren't paying attention. What hotel are you staying at? Is it south beach? North beach?

Maybe you can ride a stationary at your hotel and spend the rest of the day on the beach enjoying the, um, sights. :beer:

Kevan
11-08-2005, 02:23 PM
but back when Coconut Grove had coconuts the riding wasn't too bad. I would think riding would be better had outside Miami proper, like further West or South.

Let us know how it goes.

davids
11-08-2005, 02:24 PM
It's the Wyndham Miami Beach, at 4833 Collins Avenue. I googled it, and it looks like it's smack-dab in the middle of the beach.

Yeah, I'm pretty much resigned to using the exercise facilities at the hotel. Unfortunately, I'll be stuck inside during prime, uh, viewing periods.

Here's the hotel. It's the stumpy, dark one in the middle:

Fixed
11-08-2005, 02:34 PM
bro your eyes are goin to fall out at south beach dude cheers :beer:

Russ
11-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Hey David,

I am afraid you ain't going to find too many retirees in MB now!

PM me and I will give you some pointers.... MB is absolutelly, positivelly NOT a decent riding place! I live farther south where things are a bit more civil.

Depending on what size of bike you ride, I'd be even glad to loan you one of my rigs and we could go for a spin.

If worse come to worse, at least I could point out some good places for you to hang out and have great dinners.

Cheers!

The Russ