PDA

View Full Version : I bought the Hampsten

Ken Robb
11-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Most of us know our forum-pal Dennis Cotcamp passed away 7/2/05. Dennis had a wonderful collection of neat bikes. Many of them were designed with some input from the redoubtable Dr. Brooks. In fact theywere known to trade bikes back and forth.
Douglas told me that most of Dennis' collection were my size and that the family knew that Dennis would want them to go to good homes so I had to investigate. Two Pegorettis were sold quickly but there were several others interesting to me. Came down to a Riv Saluki and this Hampsten Strada Bianca which is built of titanium by Moots with their YBB rear. DBRK and the Hampstens designed it with 43cm chain stays and 75mm BB drop for something a bit more stable than Moots' usual cross race bikes.

It arrived yesterday, very well-packed, and the frame and fork are all but perfect. Soem wear on wheels and brakes but still fine.

I rode to the cyclocross course at UCSD for my inaugural ride. Even with 700x30 cross tires at 65 psi it was not sluggish on pavement and the ride was plush. On the cross course it accelerated and coasted way quicker than my FS Marin mtn. bike. Just keep me away from the really rough stuff because my skills are marginal. Real cross racers dazzle me with their bike handling skills. It was much more planted and secure than the road bikes I have ridden there with 700x23-30 road tires. No surprise but it does prove "horses for courses". The YBB rearend must have contributed to the constant traction I got pedaling up bumpy climbs. Sort of like a Terraplane?

I think e-Richie may be on to something fun but I'm too oldto suffer like those cross racers do. I'm prety sure---well maybe if they had a 15 minute race for geezers---nah.

Once again I haven't remembered how I shrunk my photo down to Serotta size so I'll post w/o pix while I try to jump-start my brain--agin.

JasonF
11-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Congrats Ken on the very nice sounding ride.

You can email the pic to me (jsfrede@yahoo.com) and I'll shrink it down and post it for you.

Jason

93legendti
11-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Glad it worked out. Kinetic Sytems is a great bike shop and longtime Serotta dealer. I thought I posted some pics of the bike in the Classifieds way back when. If that bike had been a 52, I would have bought it. Enjoy the ride!

JasonF
11-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Here are pics of Ken's new bike. She sure is pretty!

Ken Robb
11-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Jason offered to do the shrink for me and then I finally figured out Adobe Photoshop myself--sort of. Yes 93 Legend did post a photo a few weeks ago which piqued my interest and handling DBRK's near twin Hampsten confirmed what a neat bike Moots/Hamsten builds.

A really nifty plus was DBRK emailed Hampsten that hsi pal Ken was interested in Dennis' bike so Steve Hampsten called me to offer any info he had. After a nice chat we decided that it would be a good fit for me and he sent me the original order/build sheet. How cool to take the time for a stranger no $$ gain. Of course we all get that kind of support from Serotta too when we buy used bikes and I really appreciate that. I'm sure e-Richie does the same but I've never found one my size. I'm too old to order a new Sachs.

I think that one of the reasons These lovely "previously enjoyed" bikes sell so well is this kind of support and I know that would make me feel better about investing in a new one. Thanks guys.

H.Frank Beshear
11-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Ken as if I needed an excuse to visit San Diego again :D . Congrats that ones a keeper. Frank

Fixed
11-08-2005, 08:19 PM
bro that might become your ichiban bike cheers :beer:

dave thompson
11-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Damn Ken, just keep buyin' those bikes that are 'just my size' so I can have a wide choice of mounts to choose from when I come to San Diego.

Cadence230
11-08-2005, 09:30 PM
That's cool. Nice rear.

Ken Robb
11-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Dave you and my Serotta pals know my bikes are your bikes when you're in San Diego. And Frank, you need to revisit the view from Point LOma.

IXXI
11-08-2005, 11:07 PM
Ken,
Out of curiosity, what are the measurements/specs if I may ask? Thx.

Ken Robb
11-08-2005, 11:19 PM
seat tube 59cm c-c, 62cm to top of collar. 1-2 degree sloping top tube.
top tube 59.5 c-c
hta-73
sta-71.5
bb drop 75mm chain stay-43cm ht=220mm rake 47mm

Ken Robb
11-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Maybe this is a cooler way of answering the question about frame specs: Look what Steve Hampsten sent me. How about this "customer service"?

dave thompson
11-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Dave you and my Serotta pals know my bikes are your bikes when you're in San Diego. And Frank, you need to revisit the view from Point LOma.
Ken you could save a lot of time, and some money by not having to feed me, if you would merely send 4 or 5 of your bikes up here to me. Then you wouldn't have to spend your very valuable time being a very gracious host to me.

PS, your fender remark is a very good idea. I just got some really great wine. I'll drink some and order fenders.

PPS, My Saluki should be here next Tuesday. We'll most likely have snow by then. :(

Ken Robb
11-08-2005, 11:25 PM
I plan to take out a life insurance policy on you and then take you up "HILL STREET" no kidding , from Ocean Beach to the top of Point Loma and cash in so I can buy all of DBRK's collection.

dave thompson
11-08-2005, 11:28 PM
I plan to take out a life insurance policy on you and then take you up "HILL STREET" no kidding , from Ocean Beach to the top of Point Loma and cash in so I can buy all of DBRK's collection.
How about a trip down Narraganset to OB?

Ken Robb
11-08-2005, 11:32 PM
my kind of ride--and the Hampsten is my best descender. Who can we get to drive us UP?

Tom Byrnes
11-09-2005, 12:59 AM
I volunteer to drive you two youngsters UP that hill. :)

OldDog
11-09-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm too old to order a new Sachs..

WHAT!!!!

Kids are never too old for new toys. What better way to ride out your remaining years, and I am sure there are many, than on a Sachs. Maybe Ritchie has a policy to bump our elders up on the list?

BTW, nice Hampsten. Been thinking of a dirt roader myself.

Ken Robb
11-09-2005, 09:46 AM
I swapped the cross tires for 700x27 Ruffy-Tuffys. The 700x"30" cross tires measured 35mm and were surprisingly light as my precision calibrated left and right hands felt both were about the same weight.

Needless to say I didn't really get into steep lean angles on the knobbies though they felt ok on pavement.

I really am pleased with the cornering now on the very round RTs. My favorite test corner is a flat right-angle at te bottom of a hill where 30+ mph is attainable by me. This puppy tracks like it's on rails with no tendency to push wide or fall into the turn. Another test corner is similar but I never take it as fast because it ends in a bike lane on a busy street and has rough paving at the apex. Some bike/tire combinations will skitter or twitch a bit under these conditions but not Strada Bianca. Stiff cross fork, geometry, YBB rear end, tires all contribute but I don't know to what extent. This is what I like in an all around bike.

Serotta PETE
11-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Ken, nice looking bike....Does it have a place for me to attach a tow rope as you pull me up those hills.

PETE

Ken Robb
11-09-2005, 03:10 PM
I like the idea of Tom Byrnes': he drives us up the hill and then we get to swoop down. Hill Street is a really tough climb for me. Catalina Blvd. is the easy way with no steep parts, just fun rollers.

Ken Robb
11-19-2005, 10:10 AM
because Smiley asked to see pix-BUMP