PDA

View Full Version : Single Speed on LAKE OKEECHOBEE SCENIC TRAIL (LOST) in Florida

PBWrench
02-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Any other fans?

While its not quite as advertised - plenty choppy with sections of gravel, maintenance trucks, etc. - and certainly windy, it beats the crap out of AIA. A park entrance with water to the LOST Trail, north of Belle Glade, is about 35-40 minutes west of West Palm Beach on Southern, right on Hooker and then on your left.

I had a nice ride there today on my single speed, escaping the tundra of MPLS.

Cheers, PBW

Marco
02-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Enjoy your time on the trail and we will keep the homefront warm in your absence!

Johnnyg
02-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Any other fans?

While its not quite as advertised - plenty choppy with sections of gravel, maintenance trucks, etc. - and certainly windy, it beats the crap out of AIA. A park entrance with water to the LOST Trail, north of Belle Glade, is about 35-40 minutes west of West Palm Beach on Southern, right on Hooker and then on your left.

I had a nice ride there today on my single speed, escaping the tundra of MPLS.

Cheers, PBW

Hell, I live on the other coast and am planning to ride on the trail. Where exactly did you start and turn around? Is ther info on the trail on the web? Thanks JG

PBWrench
02-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Hell, I live on the other coast and am planning to ride on the trail. Where exactly did you start and turn around? Is ther info on the trail on the web? Thanks JG

I got on on 715 (Hooker Road) a few miles south of Pahoke indicated on this map b/t mile markers 5.6 and 4.2.

http://www.florida-outdoors.com/lost_map.htm

I actually kept going back and forth over a 20 mile stretch to try to minimize the 20 mph headwind in one direction.

It was kinda cool and quite desolate. Enjoy!

PBW

Johnnyg
02-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks PBW. Did you ride north or south from your starting point? Some say the trail is closed? How would 23c tires work? Thanks JohnnyG

PBWrench
02-14-2013, 09:41 PM
I rode both north and south, and was able to work around stoppages -- but again I did some backtracking to even out wind - only about 40 miles all together. Funny thing is that right at the park entrance there is a sign saying trail was closed going north. I went anyway, and after a couple of miles got to the next gate and there was no sign on the other side saying it was closed going south.

It reminded me of the this verse from This Land is Your Land:

When I went walking
I saw a sign there
And on the sign there
It said no trepassing
But on the other side
It didn't say nothing
That side was made
For you and me.

Keith A
02-14-2013, 10:15 PM
PBW -- That's very cool and I didn't even know about this...thanks for sharing. BTW, what type bike/setup would you recommend for this trail?

Johnnyg
02-15-2013, 07:16 AM
I rode both north and south, and was able to work around stoppages -- but again I did some backtracking to even out wind - only about 40 miles all together. Funny thing is that right at the park entrance there is a sign saying trail was closed going north. I went anyway, and after a couple of miles got to the next gate and there was no sign on the other side saying it was closed going south.

It reminded me of the song This Land is Your Land:

When I went walking
I saw a sign there
And on the sign there
It said no trepassing
But on the other side
It didn't say nothing
That side was made
For you and me.
A great song from Woody. Thanks for the info. I hope to get over there this week on a non windy day. I will use my Ridley cross with 30c tires. Ride safely, JohnnyG

PBWrench
02-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Keith -- any road set-up will be fine. Lots of stretches are paved. For those that aren't 25's - 28's would be sufficient or wider Cross tires would be good as well. It is perfectly flat so I like using my single-speed - last year I shipped down a geared rig. But for me its just winter outdoor miles when I escape Minneapolis. Rode in the rain on A1A today - yuk!

Rubber Side Down, PBW

Keith A
02-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the info. I need to check this out. Yesterday was a wet day and I skipped my bike ride to work, but I did ride in this morning in the drizzle that we still had today.

BTW, where are you staying? Also, is it the Herbert Hoover Dike road that goes all the way around?