PDA

View Full Version : Outside Magazine-a must read: "Drug Test"

toaster
11-08-2005, 10:08 AM
http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200311/200311_drug_test_1.html

The other day I meet an M.D. who specializes in anti-aging medicine which to him means hormone therapy. He tells me he injects testosterone and uses various supplements and drugs because, as he explains, if you were diabetic you would inject insulin or if you had hypothyroidism you would need a medication to help you. Testosterone replacement is the same thing. As we age our levels decrease.

So, now I look at the basic therapy protocols and the products used are anabolic steroids, EPO, testosterone, DHEA, and others. Since these are used to cheat at sports couldn't an argument be made that, at appropriate levels, they could be used to cheat aging?

Of course, this is a slippery slope and invites abuse but isn't the theory sound?

As men age, and alot of us could attest to this, we start to notice our eyesight diminish, our libido decrease as well as the quality of erections, and we lose muscle and gain fat. The plan here is not to win the Tour de France or to beat our friends by drug use but instead have a better quality of life, more time efficient training and recovery, and increased levels of energy all through a regimen of hormonal modulation.

What do you think?

bostondrunk
11-08-2005, 10:25 AM
No, there is nothing wrong with it.

Just because a drug is banned in sports, does not mean that it can't have good uses outside of sports. I'm assuming Lance was/is on test replacement therapy due to his nut being removed......whats wrong with being on test replacement because of aging?

Kevan
11-08-2005, 10:34 AM
it doesn't like be f'd with.

Course, I'm not spouting a Christian Science lifestyle either. I guess it all comes down to balance.

Ray
11-08-2005, 10:43 AM
What Kevan said. Nothing's for free. There's gotta be a downside every time you mess around with nature. And we generally don't see the downside until we're well and fully addicted to the upside.

I'm gonna make the most of my life in every age and phase, but I'm not gonna get a facelift or otherwise, either surgically or chemically. I'm not passing judgement on folks who want to deny aging and cheat death (best of luck to 'em), but I'm gonna let my life take its natural course.

-Ray

bostondrunk
11-08-2005, 10:44 AM
it doesn't like be f'd with.

Course, I'm not spouting a Christian Science lifestyle either. I guess it all comes down to balance.

Well, I imagine when I'm 50+ years old, I'd rather have drugs prescribed and feel great, and maybe only live to 80 instead of 90.... :beer:
Personal preference, I guess...

But there is still no documented proof that these drugs cause serious illness (anabolics, that is).

Right click on the following link and 'save as'. Interesting HBO special on steroids, etc.

http://www.elitefitness.com/articledata/hbosteroids/HBO-Real-Sports-steroid-special.avi