PDA

View Full Version : What is the Most Versatile Bike?

MattTuck
02-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Wondering what your thoughts are for a bike or features of a bike that would be considered the most versatile bike. Something that could do various tasks well, including commuting, hauling groceries, (car replacement), some recreational riding, etc.

This comes on the heels of wondering what I'd do if I didn't have my car, or gas became prohibitively expensive. My Lemond wouldn't make for the best utility bike. I'm thinking something like this.

[I'm also making this a poll to see how many people have bikes like this.]

Frame Material: Titanium? More corrosion resistant, and rugged than painted steel?
Wheels/Tires: 36 spoke, touring wheel?
Brakes: Canti, to allow room for fenders.
Drivetrain: Balance here between simplicity/reliability of a single speed set up versus the reality of hilly terrain (unless you're in kansas)
Braze ons: For racks/fenders. Worthwhile to get special fork built to carry a handlebar bag?

fiamme red
02-13-2013, 09:34 AM
A touring bike, with fenders and front and rear racks, and the ability to take wide tires. A Bruce Gordon BLT, for example, or if you're on a tighter budget, a Surly Long Haul Trucker.

VA-Scooter
02-13-2013, 09:34 AM
I have a Ti CX with disc brakes & rack/fender mounts. I use it for everything. Only bad thing-It is a little pricey to leave outside,even when locked. If I commuted a lot I would get something cheaper that I did not worry about.

sc53
02-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Riv Atlantis can do anything. VO Randonneur can do a lot.

MadRocketSci
02-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Salsa Vaya Ti with two sets of wheels....29er and 700c

jr59
02-13-2013, 09:47 AM
I've been car free or almost so for 4 years now.
(note; because I wanted to be, not because the judge told me to be)

I had a touring bike made for me. I run a Tubus rear rack and a set of low riders on the front. Ortibleb bags for both.

Cantis, and Campy 11 drive train. 32 spoke dyad rims. I have room for fenders, but don't run them. Just personal taste.
I run 35 tires on it most times, but if needed I could run Conti 28 on it ans it will roll out nicely.

This set up allows me to do most everything I need to do. Store,food laundry about 95% of what ever I need to do. I have really loaded this set-up with some heavy loads. Not going far, I wouldn't want to tour with 125lbs of gear.
But for a heavy load from home depot or such. It works ok.

I've been thinking of a long tail, but I don't think I have a real use for something like that. Besides the cool factor.

tiretrax
02-13-2013, 10:09 AM
I lived car-free in DC for 5 years. The streets were awful, so I walked most places. Grocery shopping was not fun, nor going to the laundromat.

I live in Dallas now, which will never be a bike friendly city, now matter what length local officials go to in trying to make it so. I would like to ditch my car completely, but I'll stick to commuting on an old beater with a backpack when I can since my building won't let me take my nice bike into my office. I have a seatpost clip on rack for errands. I'd get a long haul trucker with a front rack if I move back to a true urban city.

redir
02-13-2013, 10:15 AM
When I didn't have a car I had an old Nashbar touring bike with racks and fenders. I still have the bike and leave at my office. I also had an Airborne that was sold as a cyclocross bike but it had every braze on under the sun and disk brake as well as canti brake mounts.

I'd look for a touring bike. That sounds what you are after. But I wouldn't worry about Ti vs Steel. My '83 Nashbar has been through it all including life on the beach for a few years and after 30 years just has minimal spot rust.

JAGI410
02-13-2013, 10:16 AM
All 4 of my bikes serve as my car replacement, but if I had to choose one, it would be my Xtracycle. Built onto a mid 90s Trek MTB, with fenders and the Xtracycle seat for my 3yr old. We can ride to the store for groceries, run errands, etc. It's my ugliest, yet most used and loved bike.

Grant McLean
02-13-2013, 10:35 AM
I don't drive, so yes my commuter bike serves as a car replacement.

-g

Rada
02-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Sport/Tourers can be well adapted for all these uses. I currently have two ('78 Trek TX700 and '85 Fuji Espree) that are set up to do this now and another that with the addition of racks and fenders could be quickly pressed into service. Going completely car free is out of the question for me though as every other weekend I have to make a 100 mile round trip to pick up my daughter and then to take her home. Simply no way I'd give this up even if it meant selling all my bikes to come up with money to replace or repair a car.

Likes2ridefar
02-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Tough to pick one bike, but I guess I would say, for my needs, something like a Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker or better yet, a monster cross bike as I've found them to be fine on the road all day but don't blink when I turn off the road and start riding single track.

mounts for racks and fenders

disc only, tired of squealing canti's and pads that wear down very fast in the winter.

robust frame material that is not $$$$. I wont to be able to lock it outside on occasion and not constantly worry about it.

large tire clearance. Ideally accepts 2.1" 29er mtb tires which would then have enough clearance for studded winter tires and fenders.

Ken Robb
02-13-2013, 10:54 AM
My Riv Allrounder (similar to their Atlantis) will accept tires to 700x52, has eyelets for fenders and racks, 3x7 with Suntour Power Ratchet shifters, 36 hole touring wheels, SON generator front hub.

Kirk007
02-13-2013, 11:16 AM
I think a street capable 29er works well. I picked up a Singular Gryphon for just these purposes. I like it a lot but if the Peregrine frame had been available at the time I probably would have gone that route as it has more braze-ons for racks etc. For my urban riding I like having big tires and disc brakes. For different environments I'd look hard at Boulder Bikes and Rawland.

buddybikes
02-13-2013, 11:41 AM
MY Fat Chance ti with backpack, semi slick tires, or just my road bike if I can stick what I need into my pockets.

MattTuck
02-13-2013, 11:43 AM
This set up allows me to do most everything I need to do. Store,food laundry about 95% of what ever I need to do. I have really loaded this set-up with some heavy loads. Not going far, I wouldn't want to tour with 125lbs of gear.
But for a heavy load from home depot or such. It works ok.

Do you need special hubs and/or skewers for such heavy loads?

cp43
02-13-2013, 11:53 AM
My main grocery store bike is an old 10 speed with the biggest Wald baskets you can get bolted on. I'm running it as a single speed at the moment because it's only a mile to the store. I also have a Big Dummy for longer trips, and heavier loads.

Both have 36 spoke wheels, and fenders.

Fully loaded the 10 speed frame is a bit flexy, but passable for the mile long ride home.

The other option I have is an old kids trailer. I took out all the kid straps/seats, and use it for groceries. I really like the utility of the trailer, and the ease of loading lots of groceries.

Chris

Steve in SLO
02-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Something like my Moots Psychlo-X is a good all-rounder:

centuries--check
fast club rides--check
noodling with the kids--check
trail/gravel rides--check
technical single track--check
hardcore downhill--er...no
commuting--check

rugbysecondrow
02-13-2013, 03:04 PM
I think my Bedford Sport Tourer would do fine, but it will never happen. I would have to move for my bike to be viable transportation, relocate daycare, school etc, then my wife would divorce me because her commute would be long.

If I didn't have a car or couldn't afford it, I likely have bigger problems so I would have sold off all my bikes.

Lovetoclimb
02-13-2013, 04:03 PM
In my commuting days of yore I really enjoyed my Surly Cross-Check. Cheap enough that I did not worry about locking it up outdoors or paint damage. I had it set up with a compact or 36/46 cross crankset and 10 speed Campy mix and match group. I believe my lowest gear at one point was 34/29. I never had full racks and panniers, but often had a massive Ortlieb backpack loaded with clothes and food for long work days in varying temperatures (morning to evening commute you know).

Thomson post and same saddle as my other bikes and a very similar fit since I was putting in 30+ miles a day of riding on it. Fenders fit no problem, and still room for a rack. I even took it back to a cx racer in the first year and a half of racing cross. Now I have it set up with TRP CX9 brakes and plan to rack it up and make for a solid touring bike. It will not handle massive loads, but enough for doing the BRP point to point.

For the money, one of the most versatile framesets IMO.

sparky33
02-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Salsa Vaya Ti with two sets of wheels....29er and 700c

This would be my pick.

gregj
02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
I have a touring bike that I use as my commuter, with a rear rack and different types of ortlieb and carradice bags.

I ALSO have an Xtracycle attached to a Bridgestone MB-3, which I use to haul my youngest around. I've also transported a couple of banker's boxes' worth of documents with it also.

So, yes, I have the car-free situation covered (although we are not car-free, neither my wife nor I drive to work usually).

Greg

bicycletricycle
02-13-2013, 05:57 PM
i have a few bikes i commute on, mostly lugged, 36 hole wheels, a rack for bigger loads than the messenger bag will fit, some kind of lights. The biggest switch lately has been to dynamo lighting, so much better than battery lights. I think 700x28's and some fenders is the way to go as far as a nice balance between speed, comfort, ride quality and anti pinch flatability.

I have been using a bicycle instead of a car my whole life.

Ti would be nice but i like old-timy bikes better.

sevencyclist
02-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Slight thread drift: How do you lock up your bike at the store, at the cafe, at work etc with your nice commuters so they won't be stolen or damaged? I am afraid to take the nice bikes out fearing the thief. I can't see myself leaving a Bedford or Moots sitting out there.

pavel
02-13-2013, 07:47 PM
old BMX with rusted out chain, southside san jose / east side union city drug dealer edition.

dustyrider
02-13-2013, 08:00 PM
If you're thinking one bike to do it all; then you got to have a trailer.
But if you're like most of us you'd most likely want to keep a bike for each discipline that you enjoy. If you want to come close to the hauling capacity of a car you've got to consider something like this (http://cetmacargo.com/).

scrubadub
02-13-2013, 08:09 PM
I have a nicer than necessary commuter that gets parked out in the open. After getting my Brooks saddle stolen while on overnight call, I put on pitlocks (seatpost, stem cap, and front skewer). I figure that protecting the most valuable parts (the saddle, dynohub) helps deter the casual thief. I do need to put some glue and a ball bearing in the seatpost saddle bolt though.

As for the most versatile bike, I'd probably build something like blasdelf's porteur-rack drop bar low trail Rawland (see http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f7/porteur-racks-why-30681.html). I have a gen 1 Kogswell P/R with an Ira Ryan rack and really like having a wide platform up front to carry groceries and bags. 650b tires work well on and off-road and also give some room to avoid TCO with fenders.

The only reason mine isn't set up with a drop bar is that I prefer a more upright position with my kids in the steerer mounted bike seat.

MattTuck
02-13-2013, 08:17 PM
it is really more of a philosophical discussion, I rely on my car for too much long distance travel that is not practical on a bike, especially in the winter. I don't need a new bike at this point anyway. But, as I think about the price of gas, the thought has crossed my mind that a utility type bike might help replace the car for short trips and errands. It wouldn't need to have huge capacity, just enough for groceries and commuting, etc.

I like the idea of a Moots Pyschlo-X. That's a pricey frame though, to be locking outside. I think there are lots of options out there for something that could get you by without a car, while still providing a reasonable riding experience.

flydhest
02-13-2013, 08:41 PM
If the Surly seems plausible, consider the SOMA double cross. In my experience, slight step up in dough, big step up in bike.

PSC
02-13-2013, 09:14 PM
I think I got a great deal on this bike, new $1200 ($1300 w/ tax)

Reynold 853 frame with nice wheels and it will fit up to 50mm tires.

Upgrades: Brooks B-17, Planet Bike fenders, Axiom rear rack, 26T inner chainring and a longer stem all for $200.

This guy gave a great review of it.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/board/message/?message_id=162747

BTW, I love riding it. Unfortunately they don''t make it anymore.

svelocity
02-13-2013, 09:23 PM
I once had a early 90's specialized rockhopper (found abandoned on the curb) and I attached a Xtracycle to it. It was a good hauler but I never liked the way it rode. Not good for long trips. Now I have a Surly LHT that's really my do everything bike. Not sure if I could totally car free with it but close. Perhaps partnered up with my converted '84 stumpjumper I could do it. It has a porteur rack that works real well for grocery and pet store runs.

thirdgenbird
02-13-2013, 09:44 PM
If my company would put in a locker room I would seriously consider going car light.

KidWok
02-14-2013, 12:30 AM
I built a bike to do exactly what you described.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=105938

I wouldn't bother with ti...this bike replaced a ti bike. For the money you would pour into a ti frameset, you could get five Soma's...hard to imagine anyone outliving five framesets treated with framesaver. I decided to pretty mine up with powder coating for frameset and fenders for an additional $200. My old ti redline conquest was noodly...I'm sure you could get a ti bike built to be stiff enough to haul front and rear loads, but if you're carrying that much weight, what's the point of trying to save a pound by going with ti?

I went with 36h...I'm 200lbs and towing 80lbs of boys. I wouldn't trust canti's to stop all that...at least not in wet Seattle. Fenders definitely.

Running a 48/34 x 11-36 which is great for anything from half centuries to stump pulling. My custom bag is big enough for overnight cc touring, but I could rack up if needed.

Tai

Frame Material: Titanium? More corrosion resistant, and rugged than painted steel?
Drivetrain: Balance here between simplicity/reliability of a single speed set up versus the reality of hilly terrain (unless you're in kansas)
Braze ons: For racks/fenders. Worthwhile to get special fork built to carry a handlebar bag?

Anarchist
02-14-2013, 01:32 AM
I don't drive, so yes my commuter bike serves as a car replacement.

-g

That is nicely set up. What is that frame?

dd74
02-14-2013, 03:44 AM
Something steel or Ti, probably a CX-type frame with enough clearance for 28mm tires and ability to have a rack over the rear seat. On fast rides, remove the rack, replace the brake pads for carbon specific pads, then mount your carbon wheels. What more would you need?

jr59
02-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Do you need special hubs and/or skewers for such heavy loads?

Not that I know of!

Just using DT240 and an older set of DA skewers!
It's a pretty simple set up. Works very well.

I don't normally carry those real heavy loads, but I have
and more than a couple of times.

And I'm a BIG guy,@ 270 or so right now

Dromen
02-14-2013, 07:05 AM
IF C Racer

oldpotatoe
02-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Wondering what your thoughts are for a bike or features of a bike that would be considered the most versatile bike. Something that could do various tasks well, including commuting, hauling groceries, (car replacement), some recreational riding, etc.

This comes on the heels of wondering what I'd do if I didn't have my car, or gas became prohibitively expensive. My Lemond wouldn't make for the best utility bike. I'm thinking something like this.

[I'm also making this a poll to see how many people have bikes like this.]

Just built a Waterford touring rig..canti's, Nitto racks, Honjo fenders, triple. The only thing I would change is the rear/front generator hub powered lights. Wee wires seem really fragile and gotta run rear to front.

I think USB rechargable lights are a better idea. Talking about touring not doing a 12 hour ultra ride in the dark.