PDA

View Full Version : ? for you speed dream owners

Kurt
02-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Hi,

What rims did you get, the vel's, ac's or ?
What color were the white hubs? The only one's I have seen are polished, but his web site (which sucks) say's everything comes in black. What did shipping run, meaning was the total package under $ 600? Got a killer deal on 04' neutrons for $ 670 delivered so both deals are pretty close. I have been riding the old neutrons for 4 months so I know I like them.
+ what is the warranty on the wheels?

Thx

Kurt

slowgoing
02-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Texascyclesport has neutrons for $639 shipped. Don't know if it's the 2004s though.

I bought two sets of speed dreams. Both have velocity rims. One set was all black and used AC hubs before he went to White Industries hubs. The second was all silver and used the polished White Industries hubs. I don't know anything about the black White Industries hubs. Shipping was about $25.,not much. His wheels are great. You should get a pair, you won't regret it. Plus, he's an exceptionally nice guy who knows a lot about wheels.

Jay Torborg
02-28-2004, 11:43 PM
I just bought a pair of SpeedDreams about a month ago. The total was $575 shipped including two extra of each of the three spoke types. They had Velocity AR-20 rims and White Industries hubs. 20 spokes in front/28 rear. Everything is black (rims, spokes, hubs). They ride very nice and seem to spin up well. Slightly lighter than my Campy Euros wheels. Great value for the money.

Needs Help
02-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Great value for the money.

In comparison, what would a set of Open Pros cost to get built up with the same hubs?

Larry
02-29-2004, 03:55 AM
Speeddreams- $575.00 including shipping to Dallas. No skewers, but it does not matter to me. Mine are about 2 months old.

Black Velocity Fusion rims for us heavy riders. It is a little heavier rim to hold-up better over the long haul.
Black Sapim spokes 14-17. I think Campy uses these.
White Industry hubs. The rear is a Racer X mountain hub. It is really tough IMHO. They are black, and I was thinking that Dave mentioned that he was doing all black this year.

I rode mine yesterday morning, and there was a strong cold headwind coming back. The wheels ride very calm and are definitely aero. They slice through the wind with minimal resistance. They definitely spin-up quickly, and my instincts are leading me to change to a longer crank...172.5.
No question...... they are significantly faster than the old Ksyriums.

For this kind of money, it is a very good wheelset. I owned CXP30, Campy Vento,
and Ksyrium. These are better, and the bottom line....... YOU WILL RIDE FASTER.

Larry

Kevin
02-29-2004, 05:57 AM
My Speeddreams have:

Rims - Velocity Fusion, black, 18 front, 24 rear

Hubs - White Industries, black

Spokes - Sapim, black

I think I paid $600 with shipping to NY. The wheels are a great value, I like them more than my Campy Nucleons, which are the same wheels as the Campy Neutrons. They spin quickly, deal with the wind well and have been very durable.

Kevin

Larry
02-29-2004, 06:42 AM
Kurt,

I do not remember exactly what Dave said over the phone, but.......
it seems like he mentioned a 2 year warranty on the rims.
However....... discuss this with him, because this may not be the correct info.

Get his phone number off of the site. www.speeddream.com

woolly
02-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Dave builds an outstanding set of wheels for a very reasonable price, and he really stands behind his work. My SpeedDream wheels have Sun Venus rims, Sapim CXRay spokes, AMClassic micro front hub and Hugi rear hub. After riding these as my "everyday" wheels for over a year without a problem, the rear rim failed (one spoke eyelet pulled through the rim bed). I shipped the wheel to Dave, and he rebuilt the wheel with a new rim and had it back to me in exactly one week of when I dropped it off at UPS. All I paid for was the shipping to him - he paid return shipping, and even included a couple of additional spokes.

You get what you pay for here, IMHO.

jeffg
02-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Larry
The rear is a Racer X mountain hub. It is really tough IMHO. They are black, and I was thinking that Dave mentioned that he was doing all black this year.

Racer X mountain hub? The LTA hub is plenty strong, and is built for 130mm spacing, whereas the Racer X is for 135 spacing. Please enlighten me on why these would be for road use. I would personally go for the White LTA hubs, which I think have better flange spacing as well.

Larry
02-29-2004, 07:11 PM
JeffG,

I am quite certain that I have the Racer X mountain hub on my Velocity Fusion
rims. Look on Dave's website and go into road wheel specifications.
There are paragraphs of information on the Aerolite wheelset. It speaks of the Racer X rear hub. That is what I have, perhaps because I am a heavy rider.

Call Dave to clarify if you want more information.

Larry

FierteTi52
02-29-2004, 07:41 PM
I also found it strange he specs the racer X hub on his wheelset. They are 135mm spacing. He may have them done special, spaced at 130mm for his application.
Jeff

Kevin
02-29-2004, 07:45 PM
Dave makes different wheels, with different hubs and rims for different people. It never surprises me when people have different configurations on Speed Dream wheels. What remains constant is that the wheels are fast and Dave is a dream to deal with. Don't worry about what your neighbor received, call Dave and get a great deal on the wheels that are right for you.

Kevin

Needs Help
02-29-2004, 09:26 PM
How much more are speed dreams to get built up than Open pros? Can you send Dave the hubs that come with your component group, or does he only build them up with the hubs of his choice?

Kevin
03-01-2004, 05:55 AM
Needs Help,

I don't know, call Dave and ask him.

Kevin

Needs Help
03-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Kevin,

I'm too shy. :(

bostondrunk
03-01-2004, 04:16 PM
As an example,

You can get Dura Ace hubs, Open pro rims, alloy nipples, revolutions up front, double butted on rear, $343.

But I'm sure daves wheels must be much faster......(yes, smart ass remark...).
Not to take anything away from this Dave fella, but he is still just building regular wheels, which any shop can do for you, or you can do yourself with little practice.
You are also paying a premium for the high zoot hubs, which in reality are absolutely not going to make a difference compared to a Dura Ace/Record/Chorus/Ultegra hubset.
Build your own, its a relaxing exercise.

bostondrunk
03-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Just to follow up on my post, I'm not knocking dave's prices, you would probably pay the same from any shop for those builds, just saying you could do just as well on a wheelset built with 'normal' brand names..

oracle
03-01-2004, 04:22 PM
yes - to boston drunk you must listen.

he is, after all, a haiku contest winner.

i would as well like to know: what is so very special about this guy's wheels, when as pointed out by BD, they are plain old trad wheels. and to perhaps expand on the point about the hubs- hub weight is of similar irrelevance to overall wheel weight as is the skewer's weight.

oracle

FierteTi52
03-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Dave's wheels are far from standard wheel building methods.
here is a quote from his web site:
" Front wheels are 18-spoke radial pattern. Rear wheels are 24-spoke triplet style - 16-drive side spokes, 2 crosses, and 8 non-drive side 1 cross pattern. The two to one distribution of rear spokes provides for greater drive torque and enhanced the overall strength and stiffness."
Also, he has components from various suppliers done to his specs.
He is very anal about everthing he does. Are his wheels a good value? Are Mavic Kys.... worth $800.00? Excel's sport cirrius wheel is a great deal. 32 hole open pro's, revolution 2x w/ alloy nipples front. Rear is 3x revolution w/ alloy nipples non drive side, butted with brass nipples drive side for only $295.00 Now that is a great wheel for the price. They also do the set in 28 spoke version for all the skinnies.
Jeff

bostondrunk
03-01-2004, 04:41 PM
So he builds exotic patterns with high priced components. It doesn't change the fact that you could do just as well on a 28 spoked wheelset with DA/Open pros.
But yes, we could argue the same thing about ksyriums, etc.
So if you want a 'cool' wheelset, then sure, go with dave, but don't tell people they are faster,etc.
I have talked with Dave BTW, nice guy.

Roy E. Munson
03-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Wheel decisions are overhyped for the recreational cyclist. I agree with bostondrunk, a nice set of OP's on Chorus/Record - Ultegra/DA hub will more than do the trick. Just make sure you get the right guy at the shop to build them. For someone who rides 2-3 times a week, dropping a load of quid on a set of aero carbon wheel's isn't going to make you any faster or make your ride any more enjoyable. Durability should be the main concern, not measuring a few grams here or there.

bags27
03-01-2004, 08:01 PM
I rode Ksyriums, then put OPs with Dura on my next bike. Oh, do they ever roll better. My next bike (high end custom) being built right now...with Open Pros. They're as good as I need (and probably better than I can appreciate). I figure everyone knows them; anyone can help me fix them.

CarbonTi
03-01-2004, 10:08 PM
There's no compelling reason to own the majority of boutique wheels based on performance factors. Most of them aren't that much lighter, or much lighter where it counts at the rim. And most aren't that aero. Depending on your taste, some of them look really nice though. Aesthetics are a great reason but for me it's not worth the added cost for the performance benefit.

The only way I can see it worthwhile to go the boutique wheel route is if you can't get close to a build characteristic because you either can't get the proprietary parts, the type of construction used in the wheel, or both. AmClassic 420's or ADA/Lightweights come to mind.

So Daves wheels are probably very good. As are Mavic K's, Campy, et al. But IMO they are all clustered in a performance envelop that isn't that far advanced from the common stuff of Record hubs, Sapim Laser and OP's. The state of the art requires exotica to the ADA/Lightweight caliber of wheel for a real advance in performance. A midpoint might be a Zipp 404-class wheel (which you can buy the rim and CX-Ray yourself). Then there's everything else (Topolino should offer a wheel with a carbon rim, a recreational cyclists ADA). There are nice wheels in the market, the performance benefit is overhyped.

bostondrunk
03-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Unless you are riding at over 40km/hr, any real aero wheel, zipp 404, trispokes, etc., ain't gonna make you any faster.
but i've just finished my 13th silver bullet of the evening <burp>, and I decree that.....
if $800 wheels make you wanna ride more, then go for it baby

Needs Help
03-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the info on Open pros.

bostondrunk
03-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Needs Help,

You neeedith help.

Larry
03-02-2004, 06:40 AM
Boston Drunk,

Cheers from Dallas. The Speeddreams are lighter, faster, and more aero. I have proven my point several times with my rides this year. My ride partner has completely agreed! Headwinds are easier..... no question.

Campy, Speeddreams, etc......... if you think it adds a new level of performance....
go for it. If you have at least a little passion for the beauty of speed, you not only train, you research the latest equipment, and decide what you care to invest.
Faster really is important, even if many of us are middle-aged. We live out our athletic prowess with the need for speed.

The Open Pros are fine, but ordinary. Why be plain in such a stylish sport?
$575.00 is reasonable for Speeddreams....... in comparison to other wheels that are significantly more...... it is a very good purchase. So..........................
go for it, take the plunge, and order your set of Speeddreams today. There will be a performance difference!!!

Larry:beer: :beer: :beer: :banana: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Sandy
03-02-2004, 08:03 AM
Larry,

Your banana is going to get drunk. Shame on you!!!

Sandy