PDA

View Full Version : Speachless

ergott
11-08-2005, 07:57 AM
I didn't come up with the build specs, but I'm putting the finishing touches on a set of wheels that I just have to mention here. My buddy Argos is getting a set of wheels shipped to him today.

Phil Wood high flange track hubs (rear flip flop).
Mavic Reflex rims (dressed up as Classics SSC, black with ceramic brake surface)
DT Revos (32 3X)

Anyway, if you haven't seen a set of Phil Wood hubs in person (let alone own them), your cycling experience is incomplete. These are hands down the most beautiful hubs on the planet! The mirror finish on them is second to none. Add this to the fact that PW hubs have the best reputation for durability and you get the perfect hubs! It's been a while since I worked with a set of these hubs and I forgot how amazing they are. Weight, come on now! I know what my next set of hubs are (road version)! Problem is I won't need another set of hubs for another 20 years or so. :banana:

I'm not posting any pics yet, because in all fairness to Argos, he should be the first to get his hand (eyes) on them. I do expect his to post them on his new "project” by the end of this week (get close-ups)!

:beer:

Smiley
11-08-2005, 08:58 AM
I have seen these hubs on a clients Serotta C-III track frame just increadable good looking stuff by Phil Wood .

Too Tall
11-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Good call Ergott. For Queen's track bike I used the same PW flip flop hubs built to NOS Wolber Arc en Ciel rims anodized GOLD with Competition spokes and black nipples...BLING BLING. Awesome.

I can't take any credit but hope I helped to push PW make the SL versions. Have you seen these? The look is reminiscent of something old and nostalgic. My point when talking with PW in favor or a lighter version was that the weight is an automatic show stopper for the weight weenie crowd and offering an SL version might get some new business. Low and behold 8 yrs. later..... I'm campaigning for an alloy axel too :rolleyes: Dream on.

Len J
11-08-2005, 09:39 AM
I built up High Flange Phil track hubs (with a rear Flip Fop) laced to Open Pros for my fixie....bomb proof & Beautiful.

Len

ergott
11-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Good call Ergott. For Queen's track bike I used the same PW flip flop hubs built to NOS Wolber Arc en Ciel rims anodized GOLD with Competition spokes and black nipples...BLING BLING. Awesome.

I can't take any credit but hope I helped to push PW make the SL versions. Have you seen these? The look is reminiscent of something old and nostalgic. My point when talking with PW in favor or a lighter version was that the weight is an automatic show stopper for the weight weenie crowd and offering an SL version might get some new business. Low and behold 8 yrs. later..... I'm campaigning for an alloy axel too :rolleyes: Dream on.

You got any pics? Their site is a little weak on pictures! They also have no details on how the hubs are lighter or price difference.

Ray
11-08-2005, 10:46 AM
I haven't owned any Phil hubs (yet!), but have Phill bb's in a couple of bikes. They're so nicely finished and wear so crazy well that I'd be tempted to have a bike built with a transparent bb shell (or crazy amounts of drillium) so people could see the bb. Great stuff - you just about can't wear it out.

-Ray

flydhest
11-08-2005, 10:58 AM
that's what I have on the Vanilla fixed gear. Phil Hubs are yummy.

Anyone know why they don't build Campy compatible stuff for freehubs?

marle
11-08-2005, 11:19 AM

Is this an Industrial Organization question? :) I wondering that myself!

musgravecycles
11-08-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm in the process of building two wheelsets with the phil front hubs for personal use (still looking for an affordable equal for the rear).

We've got a couple wheelsets hanging around the shop with phil hubs from the late 70's and they still roll smoother than anything available now. Best bearings in the business period...

Ergott, here's a pic of the SLR option.

ergott
11-08-2005, 12:15 PM

No, but with Shimano 9 and 10 speeds you can make do. I run D-10 cassettes all time on my Camy rear mech and shifter.

ergott
11-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Ergott, here's a pic of the SLR option.

THNX!

Too Tall
11-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Ergott, can do. If the duct tape holds my digital camera together for just one more time that is!!! Not kidding, why are the battery compartments on these cheap ($300) cameras PLASTIC grrrrrr.

Phil Wood claims slotting reduces shell weight between 10% and 13%. I could care less about weight. The look ,however, is very nice.

Too Tall
11-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Pics for Ergott
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/trackw1.JPG
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/trackw2.JPG
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/trackw3.JPG

Post modern wheelset ;)

ergott
11-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Ergott, can do. If the duct tape holds my digital camera together for just one more time that is!!! Not kidding, why are the battery compartments on these cheap ($300) cameras PLASTIC grrrrrr.

Phil Wood claims slotting reduces shell weight between 10% and 13%. I could care less about weight. The look ,however, is very nice.

I got musgravecycles pic above (thanks) so don't sweat the camera too much! I think I'm going with the standard hub because I want more of that amazing shine they put on their hubs! I don't need another set of light wheels (see earlier posts). These are going on the bike and staying there unless I do Mt. Wasington again (or some other serious climbs).

Too Tall
11-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Too late pal, now you have to stare at them ;) Queen is wonder *** is he doing taking pics. of MY wheels????