PDA

View Full Version : OT Worth Reading/Knowing About

e-RICHIE
11-08-2005, 07:54 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/08/nyregion/08bike.html

ergott
11-08-2005, 08:10 AM
:eek: :eek:

The commuting times sound about right. As much as I respect what he is doing, I don't want to be with the wife and kid on a flight next to some funky smelling guy no matter how noble the cause!

It does show how viable the bike is for commuting around NYC. Too bad we get so much crappy weather (this month being the exception to that rule).

Too Tall
11-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Just when you think you are natty and cool with your cycling mojo in good order...theres some Dutch character showing how it's done well and right. OK pal a helmet might be a good thing...just for the cameras :rolleyes:

OK, Fly. Let's start the first Washington D.C. ZipBike(tm) program. Waddayah say? No new ground to break. We just need good beater bikes with Lojack welded in the seat tube and some downtown kiosk locations. Feeling lucky?

Onno
11-08-2005, 08:45 AM
What a great story! I loved this quote:

Mr. de Jong is not easily ruffled. When the operator of a cargo van leaned on his horn to protest the slowpokes in his way, Mr. de Jong smiled. "I think people who don't like bicycles behave that way because they don't feel free inside," he said. "Cyclists represent freedom."

What's a "swashbuckling vegetarian" by the way? And what kind of bike is he packing into the suitcase? And how can we get Mr. de Jong to join our forum?

Onno

manet
11-08-2005, 08:51 AM
I don't want to be with the wife and kid on a flight next to some funky smelling guy no matter how noble the cause!

as long as your wife ain't wearing a pint of perfume and your kid
has a volume control, i'm cool with it.

Fixed
11-08-2005, 09:00 AM
bro that sounds like my day at work I've never had a car I do get to drive the office truck sometimes and my wife has a car.I go everywhere on a bike and it always puts me in a good mood .cheers :beer:

Kevan
11-08-2005, 09:57 AM
I could do this.

I'd have some difficulty with the JFK and Laguardia airports, but the Westchester airport is very close to me for domestic departures/arrivals. Just back from San Diego and Calgary and both these cities have their major advantages. Calgary is a very bike friendly town and has a path that goes along the Deerfoot Trail (highway) from its downtown and on up to the airport:

http://www.calgary.ca/cweb/gateway/gateway.asp?GID=509&CID=217&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent%2Ecalgary%2Eca%2FCCA%2FCi ty%2BTransportation%2FGet%2BAround%2BCalgary%2FCyc ling%2FCycling%2BNetwork%2Ehtm

Heck, San Diego's airport is practically on the city's Main St., as you land you can look into the offices and in particular, hotel windows even. There's a path that goes right along the bay there that goes from the airport and on into the city. The distance is what... 2 miles maybe?

London's Heathrow... I shudder to think. But by taking the Heathrow Express train into Paddington Station you're then in London proper, but I bet I'd still be shuddering from that point to my office or hotel.

Geneva would require some homework, but I bet it can easily be accomplished.

bcm119
11-08-2005, 11:11 AM

:D amen to that, bro.

fiamme red
11-08-2005, 11:13 AM
has a volume control, i'm cool with it.Well said, csb/manet.

ergott
11-08-2005, 12:06 PM

I see no reason why my kid can't run up and down the isles screaming bloody murder. He's just going through a phase! ;)

What's wrong with my wife's perfume? If some is good, than more should be better right?

manet
11-08-2005, 12:27 PM
I see no reason why my kid can't run up and down the isles screaming bloody murder. He's just going through a phase! ;)

What's wrong with my wife's perfume? If some is good, than more should be better right?

!!!: http://www.peteykins.com/sparklepony/Stewardess.jpg

andy mac
11-08-2005, 03:28 PM
:eek: :eek:

It does show how viable the bike is for commuting around NYC. Too bad we get so much crappy weather (this month being the exception to that rule).

Actually NYC is tropical compared with cities like amsterdam where i have been living. constant rain last year and really only 2 sunny weeks. miserable, yet everyone rides. it was so cool to see happy mothers with 2 kids, the dog and all the groceries riding along in the rain. also good were the stunning 6 foot women in stiletto heels and mini skirts.

nyc should be a biking mecca. no parking. no hills. small city. weather's surprisingly good. sadly there are too many stupid drivers. i have been in 2 cab accidents in 2 months and i hardly ever take a cab!

in amsterdam they have decided bikes are best so they make it as hard as possible for drivers. where we lived, on a canal in the center of town, it was a 5 year wait for a parking permit. and it wasn't cheap. we purchased a boat instead. i miss those days...

and if you don't buy the bike argument, nyc would be a great city for a motor scooter. rome, london, paris etc have much worse weather, yet we all know that's how so many people get around.

cut to andy dreaming of a car free nyc...