PDA

View Full Version : Carbon shopping recommendation please

Dromen
02-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Looking for a used CF frame/bike. Where is there a Paceline Forum like shopping experience for the CF stuff?

buddybikes
02-12-2013, 10:02 AM
In the classified section...

ultraman6970
02-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Depends of your needs and pocket my friend...

If you are into rando or maybe super wide tires and stuff like that then you may be better going to steel, carbon racing frames cant take super wide tires.

That said... ridley and BMC are my favs... cyfac makes terrific frames as look does aswell. Trek, spech and cannondale (from the 3 i like the last one the most) do good stuff aswell but you will find those everywhere you look.

Well dunno... it depends a lot of what are you looking for. If you dont have cash then is clear that you have to go used or maybe pedal force will fit the bill perfectly.

christian
02-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Paceline classifieds.

I went carbon shopping a few months ago. I was offered some great deals on a Look 585, a Cervelo R5, a Specialized Tarmac SL3, and a couple of Colnagos.

I also received excellent advice from some long-time contributors.

I ended up on a Colnago Extreme Power and couldn't be happier.

(Edit: Weightweenies is another option)

duke
02-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Calfee will build you whatever you want for whatever size tires you want.
duke

mvrider
02-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Before buying used carbon anything, I received a lot of friendly advice and dire warnings about invisible cracks and sudden catastrophic failure. I understood those warnings, but proceeded because the deals were so good, or the bikes so unique.

I've since bought, or had a hand in buying (for acquaintances) from the Forum, eBay or Craigslist:
Trek 5000
Specialized Roubaix Comp
Orbea Diva
Serotta Ottrott
Colnago C40
Moots P-X (with Wound-Up fork)

All have worked fine so far, with no creaking from the frame, fork, or components. I guess I'm just lucky? Or benefitted from sticking to brand names and trustworthy sellers?

Liv2RideHard
02-12-2013, 10:51 AM
If you want something carbon, tube to tube construction, bespoke (tailored just for you) where you have complete input and control...let me know. Sarto Cycles is one of our lines. Go to the vendor section, the banner above or my signature and click on FGI Sport. We can help you out.

Guy

christian
02-12-2013, 10:55 AM
You've just been lucky. Carbon bikes are lethal and disintegrate if looked at wrong. Unusually, though, this is only true for bikes in the 55/56cm range. (In other sizes, they're generally safe.)

Here's a list to particularly avoid in 55/56cm:

Look 585 Ultra
Colnago Extreme Power/Extreme C/C50/C59/EPS/M10
Crumpton
Parlee
Cyfac
Pinarello (ESPECIALLY a 55 Kobh - those are very very dangerous)

Yours in safety,
Christian

Dromen
02-12-2013, 11:14 AM
I know how to shop Evilbay, CL and Paceline Classifieds. From my perspective, this is not the most CF friendly site. What i was trying to ask, Is there a forum based site that is more conducive to buying a CF bike?

Thanks for all input so far. I understand the risks of used CF buying. I dont own one and don't know if id buy a used one unless i knew the entire lineage of the carbon parts. This is for a friend.

pdmtong
02-12-2013, 11:20 AM
By definition, you will see more CF on weight weenies...or possibly slowtwitch.

dougf
02-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Never used it myself, but I'd imagine weight weenies would be a good bet.

FlashUNC
02-12-2013, 11:22 AM
I think if you posted a WTB in the classifieds, you'd be surprised at the responses you'd get.

When I got the itch for carbon last summer, I got several replies. Ended up with a Time VXR that I'm extremely happy with.

Dromen
02-12-2013, 12:00 PM
thanks all. when i get the specifics on his geo req and budget, youll see a WTB.

gavingould
02-12-2013, 12:09 PM
weight weenies will be full of carbon stuff, one note about them is they seem to have a ton of posters in Europe - keep that in mind when buying...
you won't see a ton of carbon framesets here on the paceline, but the ones that do roll through are usually very interesting. i've found the sellers and buyers here to be very honest and genuine, there's a real community vibe.

i've bought 3 carbon frames pre-used, all from different situations.
1 - local shop closeout of a demo bike that was a few years old and barely ridden (i rode for 3-4 years with no issues and am now selling it)
2 - local shop owner's personal race bike (one of several) used for half a cx season (i've raced it 2 full seasons now)
3 - ebay from across the country. i was a bit wary, but seller was honest and the deal was very good - i'm extremely happy with the bike.

lalonauta
02-12-2013, 02:38 PM
The slowtwitch classifieds are also a good place to shop for used carbon road bikes. They mostly list tri bikes, but road bikes pop up often.

jmoore
02-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Chinarello FTW

katematt
02-12-2013, 02:48 PM
For a Calfee Tetra Pro - best CF bike on the market

they'll come up once in while, but given the personality and the ride quality worth the wait.

cmg
02-12-2013, 02:57 PM
got this Merckx frame off ebay during the summer for less than $800. there still being sold. Solid frame, stiffer bottom bracket than my fuji. looks good too.