PDA

View Full Version : TA Zephyr Light Crankset Question

SamIAm
02-12-2013, 07:41 AM
I'm trying to build up my CG on the cheap (meaning I want to use as much existing inventory as possible). I have the above crank, but don't have a BB for it.

Can anyone help me on recommending one that would work?

oldpotatoe
02-12-2013, 07:46 AM
I'm trying to build up my CG on the cheap (meaning I want to use as much existing inventory as possible). I have the above crank, but don't have a BB for it.

UN series 115mm shimano BB.

SamIAm
02-12-2013, 08:28 AM

Any idea where to find one?

Ken Robb
02-12-2013, 11:01 AM
I have a Phil BB that works with my TA Zephyr but that cost a lot more than a Shimano.

Ahneida Ride
02-12-2013, 11:20 AM
I have a Phil BB that works with my TA Zephyr but that cost a lot more than a Shimano.

same here .....

Phil will be here after we are all water boarded with frns !

William
02-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Sorry OP, you know the rules.

William

SamIAm
02-12-2013, 12:00 PM

William

Am I missing something here?

William
02-12-2013, 12:05 PM

Op was quoting his pricing for the part in question. Unfortunately forum rules prohibits direct advertising from vendors.

William

nighthawk
02-12-2013, 12:05 PM

William hates the French.

Edit: oops. I read OP as "original poster" not old potatoe.

William
02-12-2013, 12:06 PM
William hates the French.

That's right!! Their called American fries!!!:butt:

;););)
William

Pete Mckeon
02-12-2013, 12:24 PM
good source on info for the forum for a long time. I would use the SHimano and if more $$s in budget go with something else mentioned but you will not wear out the ULtEGrA I have used them for years and they work:bike:Pete

palincss
02-12-2013, 04:21 PM
You might want to look at Peter White's page on the Zephyr Light
http://peterwhitecycles.com/zephyrlight.asp to see what bottom brackets he recommends.

Marburg
02-12-2013, 07:56 PM
+1 on Peter White's pages for info, though technically the answer is "any 116 to 122 JIS bottom bracket you're happy with" isn't it?. An old UN 52 or 72 would work, as others have said. I think I actually used a Race Face for a while...

oldpotatoe
02-13-2013, 07:59 AM

William

PM sent then.
To SamIam..not a mod.

William
02-13-2013, 08:05 AM
PM sent then.

Received and replied.

Edit: Okay, you quoted me though so that's what I thought you meant OP.

William

bfd
02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
+1 on Peter White's pages for info, though technically the answer is "any 116 to 122 JIS bottom bracket you're happy with" isn't it?. An old UN 52 or 72 would work, as others have said. I think I actually used a Race Face for a while...

What's interesting if you read Peter White's page on bottom bracket, it seems to suggest that TA zephyr crank requires a 116 to 122 ISO/Campy, not JIS, bottom bracket:

"All TA bottom brackets are fully compatible with Campagnolo cranks designed for symmetrical axles"

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/bottombrackets.asp

Good Luck!

DHallerman
02-13-2013, 08:55 PM

Any idea where to find one?

The Shimano UN-55 is quite reliable, and is less than $20 from Amazon.

However, I've used Phil Wood 119mm bottom brackets most successfully with TA Zephyr Light cranksets.

JIS has worked fine for me, and that was the original word I got on TA Zephyr cranks even before Peter White's postings.

Furthermore, another Peter White page -- Peter White Zephyr Light (http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/zephyrlight.asp) -- says:

"You can also use a Phil Wood bottom bracket, but they do cost a bit more.
If you prefer to have your crank arms perfectly symmetrical, you can use a longer axle and don't offset it.
A 119mm axle offset just a tiny bit will give good chainline and be close to symmetrical."
Dave, who has those cranksets and bottom brackets on his titanium Ibis Sonoma and his all-steel Ibis Spanky and his elegant Slim Chance

Marburg
02-14-2013, 12:32 AM
What's interesting if you read Peter White's page on bottom bracket, it seems to suggest that TA zephyr crank requires a 116 to 122 ISO/Campy, not JIS, bottom bracket:

Hmm. Interesting. Both of my Zephyrs are on (non campy) Phils so I assumed JIS. Might be getting into the deep woo of JIS/ISO they're interchangable-no they aren't-it will make you bike burst into flames.

Sadly, DI don't know the length of the BBs off the top of my head to help the OP

rw229
12-04-2014, 11:40 PM
I hate to bump a super old thread, but I'm in the same situation... I have a minty Zephyr Light 50/34 and need to find the correct BB.

Peter White's site says 116 with a spacer and possibly wider. I sent an email to TA and they responded with 107, ISO taper. (maybe Peter's number is for the Zephyr triple?)

I did some rough measurements and believe a 110 ISO could be about right and thinking of trying the current Campy Centaur 111 if it's close enough.

That's a fairly wide variance, so without buying a bunch of BBs to get a good (10 Speed Campy) chain line, can anyone share what has worked for you?

Mark McM
12-05-2014, 09:55 AM
I don't have personal experience with the TA Zephyr, but as always, Sheldon Brown can add some guidance (even from beyond the grave).

His Bottom Bracket Size Database (http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html) has bottom bracket type/length data on a wide variety of cranks, including the TA Zephyr. The data indicates that the Zephyr double crank can be used with a 110mm square taper bottom bracket.

Ken Robb
12-05-2014, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure but I think I remember reading that TA changed recommended BB taper for their cranks during Zephyr production.

El Chaba
12-05-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm not sure but I think I remember reading that TA changed recommended BB taper for their cranks during Zephyr production.

Me too.....TA used to use ISO, but at some point they changed to JIS. I am pretty sure that there are both types of Zephyr.

don compton
12-05-2014, 11:00 AM
I hate to bump a super old thread, but I'm in the same situation... I have a minty Zephyr Light 50/34 and need to find the correct BB.

Peter White's site says 116 with a spacer and possibly wider. I sent an email to TA and they responded with 107, ISO taper. (maybe Peter's number is for the Zephyr triple?)

I did some rough measurements and believe a 110 ISO could be about right and thinking of trying the current Campy Centaur 111 if it's close enough.

That's a fairly wide variance, so without buying a bunch of BBs to get a good (10 Speed Campy) chain line, can anyone share what has worked for you?
There are some initials on the inside of your crankarms that designate your crankset iso or jis. If you call Peter White, he can help you. Fortunately for me, My Zephyr cranks are all jis.

Marburg
12-06-2014, 02:49 AM
Recently pulled my Zephyr lights off to pack the bike. For posterity, I'm using a Phil 116+5. Chai stay clearance (on a "normal" ti bike) and chainline both good

rw229
12-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Thanks all!

So far I have:
107 ISO from TA
110 (ISO?) from Sheldon
116 (ISO?) from PJW and Marburg
119 JIS from DHallerman
115 JIS from oldpotato

Clear as mud :)

The markings on the back of the arms are:
ZEPHYR gauche 175 BSC J11 MADE IN FRANCE
ZEPHYR gauche 175 BSC J9 MADE IN FRANCE
(J11/J9) are in a box

pbarry
12-06-2014, 11:15 AM
You can measure the distance between the taper flats on the inside and outside of the arm. Compare those numbers to a known JIS or ISO crank, and that part of the equation should be solved.

rw229
12-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Peter White's response to my email query -

"JIS symmetrical 122mm"

I'll order a 122 UN55 and go from there.