PDA

View Full Version : Fenders.........

dave thompson
11-08-2005, 06:08 AM
I am in the process of buying a Saluki (slight change in cycling direction eh?) and am wondering about fenders. I will fender it, but my having zero experience with them, can any of you make recommendations as to which ones might be best; the Honjo or Berthoud? I understand neither of those is a snap to install, so any insights to what I may need to know before spending several days in a cold garage with dull handtools? (Please don't get into a flame war with the old Honjo vs Berthoud controversy :D )

dbrk
11-08-2005, 06:25 AM
I use both Honjo and Berthoud fenders and love both. The Honjo attachment hardware is a bit more elegant (be sure to look up/read the instructions or ask!!!), though neither is particularly easy (or hard, both require patience and a certain passion for the whole idea, I think): the Berthouds are a bit more stalwart and stable (which is not to say that the Honjos are not!). So if I were to summarize, the Honjos are a bit easier to deal with while the Berthouds are a bit sturdier, maybe even a tad heavier. You will need the proper tools, including a serious clipper for the stays. Of course, no one mounting fenders is trying to save weight but we can assume that you'd not like bricks (but no worries, neither are that) and it's not how easy or difficult the job is, it's the outcome. Berthoud have one very clear advantage: the front fender comes _low_, low enough that with a mud flap it will really keep you dry and the fit is just perfect. Low front fenders are _very cool_ because they work great and they are old school to the core. Honjos really could be longer in the front but they are long enough imo. Whachooo need, Dave, is a mudflap...

Happy to see Dennis's bikes going to great places.

dbrk

p.s. This is a non-sequitor to Dave's query and this thread but there's a nice piece on the NY Times website about a Dutch cyclist who rides to get others out there...look here: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/08/nyregion/08bike.html?8hpib

christian
11-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Ivy has painted Honjos, I have Berthouds. They are both really really nice, but I give the edge to the Berthouds based on the mounting hardware at the eyelets and their overall slightly sturdier nature.

Make sure you get a Honjo crown daruma for the fork, though.

- Christian

flydhest
11-08-2005, 07:46 AM
. . . I barely even know her.

Smiley
11-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Big Dave , your on the wrong side of the state to see that much rain :)
Seriously I ask the question in general. why put on fenders if your not planning on riding in rain. I have plastic clip on's for my fixee for wet pavement but not to start out riding in rain. I do admit they look kool but don't they rattle and add weight to the whole rig.

dauwhe
11-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Big Dave , your on the wrong side of the state to see that much rain :)
Seriously I ask the question in general. why put on fenders if your not planning on riding in rain. I have plastic clip on's for my fixee for wet pavement but not to start out riding in rain. I do admit they look kool but don't they rattle and add weight to the whole rig.

Even if I don't plan to ride in the rain, the rain sometimes has other plans! :)

My fenders (Honjos) don't rattle. They of course add weight to the bike, but I believe the benefits far outweigh the increase in weight.

Dave Cramer
rainy Brattleboro, Vermont

dauwhe
11-08-2005, 08:38 AM
I have had both Honjos and Berthoud fenders on my Saluki (56cm).

Some random opinions/observations about both brands (mostly cribbed from my posts to the RBW list)

* The Honjo front fender seems longer than the Berthoud, and so I haven't felt the need for the mudflap (interesting that DBRK's experience seems different!)
* Honjos seem more than sturdy enough, and do seem significantly lighter
* I prefer the hardware for the Honjos to the Berthoud hardware, at least for attaching the stays to the fender.
* I have non-hammertone Honjos. I think the Berthouds look slightly better (smoother, shinier). But the "facets" on the Honjo make it much easier to determine where to drill for the holes for the stays. It's also easier to drill through aluminum than steel.
* The 45mm Honjo fits between the chain stays of the Saluki better than the 50mm Berthoud (both were fine, other people have not experienced this issue with other frame sizes). Clearance is OK with both for the Trimlines (the largest tire I've used).

If weight was important, or if I was generally running narrower tires like the Megamium, I'd lean towards the Honjos. Otherwise I think it's purely aesthetic preference. Personally, I put on the Honjos in June, and haven't felt the urge to switch back to the Berthouds. But my 700c bike has Berthouds.

Either way is good! And fenders are one of the keys to cycling bliss!

Dave Cramer
Brattleboro, Vermont

CalfeeFly
11-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Dave,

There is a recent thread on the Calfee forum on this. I'd review it as many commented.

Hardwood Fenders (http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_130&products_id=631)

Above are absolutely gorgeous work of art fenders that function as well. I heard about them from a Portland rider. They are hardwood and handmade in the LBS. You are close enough to ride by and see them! Well almost... Seriously I'd consider a trip to have them install them.

I assume you want a full fender. I have SKS Race Blades on a bike now. I have not been in serious rain with them yet. They should work fine for what they are.

I also have a set of Planet Bike Full Fenders I'll sell you! I bought them but I had clearance problems. We got them to work with one tire but when I went with a bombproof tire the clearance failed. I liked them and they have a built -in mud flap. They are not as fancy as what you mentioned but they are not nearly as heavy either.

There are stainless and carbon fenders too I ran across. I forget the names but I could probably find them again. They could be mentioned in the Calfee thread. Someone is building up a Tetra as an all purpose bike and needs fenders. He got a good bit of response plus he had researched it as well.

Good luck. I hope all is well. I'm finally back on one of my Calfee's and using a road pedal/shoe.

CalfeeFly
11-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Peter White (http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/berthoudinst.asp)

Dave,

This is the site that has a lot of good fender information on Berthoud. (As you probably know they make the carbon and stainless fenders.) This site is nice because he has a bunch of photos.

Take care.

vaxn8r
11-08-2005, 08:57 PM
...I also have a set of Planet Bike Full Fenders I'll sell you! I bought them but I had clearance problems. We got them to work with one tire but when I went with a bombproof tire the clearance failed. I liked them and they have a built -in mud flap. They are not as fancy as what you mentioned but they are not nearly as heavy either....

CalfeeFly, that built in mud flap on the Planet Bike fenders is useless. You still need a real mud flap. I assume you didn't find this out as you never got to use them. It's really a silly attachment which looks like it ought to be useful but isn't.

As for Dave, I don't think the Planet bike would fit what he has in mind.

dave thompson
11-08-2005, 09:05 PM

dave thompson
11-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Lon: Thanks for the offer of the fenders but I want to have real water protection, so I don't think the River City fenders would fit the bill. They are truly beautiful though. When I went down to Portland to get fitted by Michael Sylvester (at the Bike Gallery) I visited River City Bikes. Holy smoke what a store! Calfee tandems hanging from the ceiling, gobs of eye-candy everywhere, even an indoor test track! My kinda place, but if I lived near them I would have to get a real job to be able to afford all those toys.

I think I'll wind up getting the Honjo fenders. Now to decide between the plain and the hammered.

dirtdigger88
11-08-2005, 09:19 PM
hammered :cool:

Jason

Ken Robb
11-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Yo Dave: get hammered--fenders too

CalfeeFly
11-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Honjo Fenders (http://www.jitensha.com/eng/fndrs_e.html)

Dave,

I don't know if you have seen this site. It has extremely complete information on the Honjo fenders with plenty of photos. I wasn't familiar with them and I ran across it. Plus there is a full listing of optional hardware for mounting solutions and full instructions.

I'd get the hammered. They are really unique.

Have fun.

Lon