PDA

View Full Version : Esoteric ( kind of ) CSI head tube question...

SoCalSteve
02-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Hi all,

I owned an amazing CSI (that I eventually sold to Jeff N.). I kind of regret selling it as it was a great riding and handling bike....and, I sold it for all the wrong reason(s)....well, one reason really:

It had a 1 1/8" head tube and in 2001 they didnt have 1 1/8" lugs...so, Serotta fillet brazed the head tube to the top and down tubes and then added faux lugs to make it look like it was fully lugged. This always bugged me, so I sold the bike...

OK, cut to a 2005 CSI that I have the chance to buy. It too has 1 1/8" head tube...Did Serotta ever change the construction of the way they joined the head tube when they used a 1 1/8" tubing or did they always use the fillet-faux lugged method?

As always, thank you all in advance!

Steve

bicycletricycle
02-11-2013, 10:18 PM
always faux on 1 1/8, if you call them bi-lam then its actually cooler than lugs and everything is okay.

SoCalSteve
02-12-2013, 09:21 AM
always faux on 1 1/8, if you call them bi-lam then its actually cooler than lugs and everything is okay.

Nah, I'll still know...if your gonna do it, do it right!!!

Jeff N.
02-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Funny, that kinda bugged me too, Steve, but I looked past that. Had JB paint faux lugs on the top and down tube to match the others on the head tube. Now I get, "Wow...nice lugs, man!" all the time. Ha! It's a great frame that I'll never part with, faux head tube lugs or not.
I once wanted a Kirk built with fully lugged 1.125" head tube and he said he couldn't do it...it was 1" or nothin'. But that was several years ago, so maybe things have changed. I know for certain that Spectrum, K. Bedford, Davidson et.al. can do 1.125" lugs on their steel lugged frames, but as far as Serotta doing fully lugged CSi's with 1.125" head tube later in the mid-2000's, I really don't know. I've never seen one, that's for sure.
Speaking if CSi's, I recently scored a real nice older one off the 'Bay, complete with 1" threadless F-1 fork, that I'm having JB'd. Won't be ready for several months, but it should be a sweetie. I'll post pics when the time comes.

SPOKE
02-12-2013, 02:58 PM
I have one of the last 3-4 CSi's built....actually signed by Kelly Bedford. It has OS lugs cut in the TDF pattern. It has a 1 1/8" F3 fork.
I also have a friend with one too...

Brian Smith
02-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi all,

I owned an amazing CSI (that I eventually sold to Jeff N.). I kind of regret selling it as it was a great riding and handling bike....and, I sold it for all the wrong reason(s)....well, one reason really:

It had a 1 1/8" head tube and in 2001 they didnt have 1 1/8" lugs...so, Serotta fillet brazed the head tube to the top and down tubes and then added faux lugs to make it look like it was fully lugged. This always bugged me, so I sold the bike...

OK, cut to a 2005 CSI that I have the chance to buy. It too has 1 1/8" head tube...Did Serotta ever change the construction of the way they joined the head tube when they used a 1 1/8" tubing or did they always use the fillet-faux lugged method?

As always, thank you all in advance!

Steve

This question, on an online forum, presents a bit of a conflict of interests for me that obstructs a proper response. There have been some responses. Feel free to PM me if you're still lacking needed information. Your question has still not been addressed, and I do mean addressed and not "answered." As the builder at the time, I have both insight and factual knowledge regarding the who, what, where, when, why, and hows, though the story to me is like a sleeping dog. I had a great time and helped make some stuff I can look back fondly upon, including the brazed bikes. I have no position with the owner, and if I were to suggest sight unseen, I'd suggest to buy.