PDA

View Full Version : OT: Washing/Care for Waxed Cotton Jacket

Lovetoclimb
02-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks to my foolishness and the wonderful conditions at Masters Worlds in KY, my winter jacket has some nice mud stains on it. Because it is waxed cotton, I am hesitant to put it in the washing machine or have it dry cleaned. There seem to be many cautionary tales of ruining the wax application and also the ability of future wax to take to the cotton on the great internet. Thoughts or experience from anyone who has owned and cared for waxed cotton items before? This is my first.

Thanks.

Lala
02-11-2013, 09:41 PM
If it is a Barbour, then the mud adds character.
If you really need to clean, take it outside and spray with a garden hose.

HenryA
02-11-2013, 09:59 PM
What Lala wrote.

Generally, you can scrub these types of garments with cold water and a scrub brush, let dry and re-apply the waterproofing. But you might contact the maker to see what they have to say. And maybe use their special grease.

giverdada
02-12-2013, 04:33 AM
With my Filson gear, I usually just followed their "brush to clean, let air dry" recommendations and it's all been good. I haven't gotten anything that dirty though, so you may be in a different boat. I would definitely not take it to dry cleaning or put it in a washing machine. I would get it wet, use a brush, like a nail brush or a floor scrubbing brush, no detergent, and just scrub it til the mud is out. Then I would let it air dry on a clothesline, and reapply touch-up wax when the garment is totally dry. Just my take. I do wish you good luck. I love waxed canvas...

verticaldoug
02-12-2013, 05:41 AM
Cold water and a sponge should be able to remove most of the dirt from the wax layer. If you wash or dry clean, the next time you apply a wax coating it tends to sink through the garment for some reason and it can soil you clothing.

Mikej
02-12-2013, 08:04 AM
NEVER wash or dry clean waxed cotton. Look at the label.

christian
02-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Accept that you look like a Yorkshire farmer and get on with it. At least the dirt adds a bit of authenticity.

dave thompson
02-12-2013, 11:08 AM
I have Barbour and Belstaff waxed cotton jackets from my motorcycle days in the '70s and '80s that have been all around Europe and the U.S and have never been washed or cleaned. When necessary I'll brush them off and reapply dobbin if I want to keep them waterproof. Like good hunting boots, waxed cotton jackets gain character and give the wearers massive street creds with use.

Ken Robb
02-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Like good hunting boots, waxed cotton jackets gain character and give the wearers massive street creds with use.[/QUOTE]

They also give the wearer lots of personal space if the stinky things are worn indoors. :)

goonster
02-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Jackets are one thing, but then there are the Filson pants and bib overalls which can never be washed, and also last forever.

The Filson tin cloth and shelter cloth is pretty fragrant just from the wax. I left a hat in a warm car one time, and a few hours later it smelled like melted crayons in there. Now it goes in the trunk . . .

edit: on second thought, the concept of pants-that-can't-be-washed should not be so alien to someone who grew up in lederhosen . . .

cash05458
02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
I had a barbour jacket that I wore for 18 years...as it was on its way out with torn seams, the whole lot...I wanted to see what would happen if I gave it a mild cold water wash...I had already bought a new one so didn't mind...what happens is of course the fabric is never the same...because of the wax remaining the whole thing will have a spider web pattern on it...so don't wash! the trick is to keep it waxed well...that way, anything that gets on it can pretty much be sponged off...even if you are not wearing it much wax it every few years and the thing will last foreever, or in my case, 18 years of almost every day use until the damn seams just gave away and the thing was done...oh yeah, be sure to shower often enough as the wax can't help you there...