PDA

View Full Version : OT: stuff I want to talk about....cars.

Dave B
02-11-2013, 08:31 PM
I know any of you like high mpg, hybrid, hamster wheel powered cars. Good for you.

Last year I purchased a dodge charger srt8 and began my love affair with huge cubic inch muscle cars. Good lord the sound of the engine and exhaust note are sublime. It truly is music to my ears. I know all of the draw backs, low mpg, cannot turn, unreliable etc. yeah fine I don't care. Ok that is my premise.

I will admit my favorite show on tv is Top Gear...the UK version. I am watching the new season right now and the trio of fools are in Vegas driving the new Lexus LFA, new Austin Martin Vanquis, and the new Dodge Viper. The Lexus and AM are beautiful.

But the new Viper is magic, good god it looks and sounds magical. I know us Americans are dull witted, but mmmmmmmmmm.

More power!!!!!!!

;)

thirdgenbird
02-11-2013, 08:37 PM
I can't wait for the latest season to hit Netflix.

AngryScientist
02-11-2013, 08:43 PM
ahh, the two ends of the spectrum:

the prius and the viper.

my automotive gravitation is in the middle of the two. finesse. just enough power, not over the top, scalpel like handling, precision engineering, finely crafted workmanship.

dustyrider
02-11-2013, 08:48 PM
American Muscle is pretty entertaining, both for the spectator and the participant.

My MADMAXesque dream car is a mid 80s Monte Carlo SS. The hood should have a rather large hump in the middle, and the rear wheels ought to be very close together; I'm sure you can imagine the rest!

AngryScientist
02-11-2013, 08:50 PM
American Muscle is pretty entertaining, both for the spectator and the participant.

My MADMAXesque dream car is a mid 80s Monte Carlo SS. The hood should have a rather large hump in the middle, and the rear wheels ought to be very close together; I'm sure you can imagine the rest!

haha!

i dont have an digital images, but i owned that car, exactly as you describe it, many years ago- and. it. was. awesome.

rugbysecondrow
02-11-2013, 08:52 PM

the prius and the viper.

my automotive gravitation is in the middle of the two. finesse. just enough power, not over the top, scalpel like handling, precision engineering, finely crafted workmanship.

So you must be a Kia fan.

AngryScientist
02-11-2013, 08:53 PM

you're dead to me now.

:banana:

Dave B
02-11-2013, 08:58 PM

the prius and the viper.

I will admit we owned a BMW 330ix and it was w/o a doubt the best handling car I have ver driven. It didn't have he power I wanted, but man it could orner like I have never experienced.

I bought he blue ray of he silly movie Hit and Run. The Lincoln in that movie with 500+ci and 700bhp was breath taking.

We went to one car (small SUV) but when I can get another car it will be a charger or hallenger with the 6.4 liter hemi.

Louis
02-11-2013, 08:59 PM
This love of horsepower and displacement and those d@mned unions are why Detroit is in the state it is today. :eek:

Just kidding. ;)

Signed: Rice Burner driver.

PS the build quality of my '70 Impala's small-block 400 was horrible, and the design of my '73 Charger ridiculously bad; but I could put my 61 ST Trek 400 in the Impala's trunk without even taking the front wheel off...

Steve in SLO
02-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Mt best friend in high school had a V8 Vega built with a 350HP Turbofire Corvette engine and Turbo 400 transmission. A Holley 4 bbl and Turbo mufflers made it sound great. That thing was un-bloody-real. We won a lot of $$ street racing that thing.
Now I am with AS. Over the years, I've had a number of Porsches and now own a GT3, which is un-bloody-unrealer. The straight line speed and sound when you get on the cams are beautiful, but the twisties are where the real music begins.

eddief
02-11-2013, 09:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZmrVXwjXwc

Dave B
02-11-2013, 09:15 PM
My beast.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/dnjbradley/image_zps87e79c7e.jpg

Note the joke

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/dnjbradley/image_zps77c0d8dc.jpg

spiderman
02-11-2013, 09:27 PM

the prius and the viper.

On the frozen lake is my range rover evoque...whilst playing the moody blues ...of course

rounder
02-11-2013, 09:30 PM
I like cars. When i first started college, my friends were driving Austin Healys and Triumphs. Way beyond me. When Dr. No came out, i could afford a Sunbeam Alpine...so i bought one. That was the last James Bond movie car that i could afford.

Went to Sebring in 1966 and 1967. That changed things forever for me as far as cars go. MGBs riding around the same track as Ferrarri prototypes.

Now, am older and am more conservative. Drive a tamed down A4. Hey, it gets good mileage and is fun to drive.

Still, last two years the grand prix came to Baltimore with the Le Mans Series Cars and Indy cars. It was pretty insane.

Wish my car was an S4.

SoCalSteve
02-11-2013, 09:54 PM
I know any of you like high mpg, hybrid, hamster wheel powered cars. Good for you.

Last year I purchased a dodge charger srt8 and began my love affair with huge cubic inch muscle cars. Good lord the sound of the engine and exhaust note are sublime. It truly is music to my ears. I know all of the draw backs, low mpg, cannot turn, unreliable etc. yeah fine I don't care. Ok that is my premise.

I will admit my favorite show on tv is Top Gear...the UK version. I am watching the new season right now and the trio of fools are in Vegas driving the new Lexus LFA, new Austin Martin Vanquis, and the new Dodge Viper. The Lexus and AM are beautiful.

But the new Viper is magic, good god it looks and sounds magical. I know us Americans are dull witted, but mmmmmmmmmm.

More power!!!!!!!

;)

Greatest show EVER! And yes, that segment was awesome! I love it when they come to the US, they hate us so much and make fun of us so much, its truly comical!!!!......:rolleyes:

Ken Robb
02-11-2013, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=Mr.President;1292056

I know all of the draw backs, low mpg, cannot turn, unreliable etc. yeah fine I don't care.

;)[/QUOTE]

I thought the Charger I drove handled quite well for a big sedan.

4Rings6Stars
02-11-2013, 10:11 PM
I lusted after American muscle cars growing up, but have always been too practical and convinced that I need all wheel drive. Since I turned 15 (9 years ago), I have had either an Audi 90 quattro (1993 and 1995) or a Subaru Legacy GT (1997, 1999, 2006). The Audis were fun and handled well but too heavy to give much off the line and electronic gremlins like you wouldn't believe. The 90's subies were bullet proof reliable but SLOW. The 2006 has a turbo and is FAST, handles well and is amazing in the snow, but by far the least reliable car I have ever owned. Next car will likely be a non-turbo Outback or if funds allow, something like an Audi Q5.

Hiding away in my grandparents' garage is my dad's old '63 Corvette. It has been sitting since my oldest brother was born in 1978... I will likely be buying my first house next year and my only requirements are ample bike storage and a heated garage for the 'vette so I can start rebuilding. It has run for about 15 seconds in the last 35 years, but man did the sound of that 327 rumbling through the side pipes give me chills...until it started shooting fire from the Holley 4 barrel and I had to switch it off.

fuzzalow
02-11-2013, 10:15 PM
The burble of a big V-8 is every bit as exhilarating as the wail of a Ferrari V-8. The only problem with most any car available today is the absence of a manual transmission. Dinky up-down buttons on the steering wheel don't count - the tranny is still a slushbox.

jlwdm
02-11-2013, 10:22 PM
I like cars. When i first started college, my friends were driving Austin Healys and Triumphs....

Wish my car was an S4.

My best friend bought an Austin Healey 3000 in England in 1967 - the last year they were made. Still has it but has not been driven since the mid 1970s.

As long as you are "wishing" make it an RS4.

Jeff

carpediemracing
02-11-2013, 10:44 PM
When I was looking to buy my first significant car (i.e. either new or expensive used) I had it down to a new 350Z, a used Viper (no roof - the R10?), or a Dodge Ram crew cab duallie. I had a guy offer to sell me his Esprit S4S - I knew its history since his mechanic was a friend and teammate - but the owner wanted just a bit too much. My 50+ mile each way commute in CT/NY/NJ made me pick the Z but only after I calculated fuel costs for the Viper, the cost tires for the thing, and what it would run me for one of those roadster tonneau covers with a hole for one person (my friend's garage would make me one), a warm driving suit and a helmet of some kind (mainly to keep warm on colder or rainy days but also for the inadvertent flip of the car). The duallie lost because I could justify one when I had a family but the Viper/Z would never fly once I had a family.

We rented a car when we went to my sister's wedding. The desk asked if we wanted to upgrade to a Charger Hemi wagon for $20/day. It was a lot of fun - 5 people (including the Missus, my extremely conservative dad, and one brother and his wife), accelerated really hard, sounded great. My dad even giggled whenever I floored it, it was great, so much fun.

Now I'm looking for a replacement for a big 15 passenger Dodge van I use to haul around race promoting stuff. It gets packed to the gills after the Bethel Spring Series. I'm seriously considering a used Dodge hemi wagon and using a trailer with it if I need the big stuff. A used crew cab duallie is on the list too, as well as used regular vans (E-250 or maybe a Sprinter) and minivans (Odyssey/Sienna/Quest). I want to be able to use the vehicle to go to races with the Missus and Junior and the minivan would be easier to change in.

The hemi, though, would be a lot of fun.

No Viper alas.

54ny77
02-11-2013, 11:33 PM
post some pics of that vette!!!!!!!!!

Hiding away in my grandparents' garage is my dad's old '63 Corvette. It has been sitting since my oldest brother was born in 1978... I will likely be buying my first house next year and my only requirements are ample bike storage and a heated garage for the 'vette so I can start rebuilding. It has run for about 15 seconds in the last 35 years, but man did the sound of that 327 rumbling through the side pipes give me chills...until it started shooting fire from the Holley 4 barrel and I had to switch it off.

ofcounsel
02-12-2013, 12:02 AM
I'm currently driving a Camaro rental car. The low slung seating position was a bit strange to begin with, but I got used to it. It gets surprisingly decent mileage for a higher horsepower car. It's steering is accurate and communicative. But it bounces around a bit. It's kind of rough ride. I wouldn't buy one for myself, but it's decent.

fatallightning
02-12-2013, 01:43 AM
I've always had small import rwd sports cars, turbo MKII MR2, turbo 240SX, turbo Miata, GC gen Impreza. As an aberration I currently own a worked c5 Corvette. Heads/cams/intake, suspension, gears, headers, exhaust etc. Over 400 rear wheel (real) HP. Have had it for about 2 years now, alas, we just weren't a good fit. As empirically good the car was, I just found it didn't have the kind of communication that makes a driver's car. The steering wheel didn't weight up naturally in curves, you never quite knew what the contact patches were up to and when you were about to cross over the mechanical grip threshold. It was fun to power slide all over the place, and the 40-90 roll on was MONSTROUS. I had more fun the Miata. So naturally I wanted to get something that most consider the epoch of the handling/drivers car paradigm, so I bought an Elise.
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/57218_779718106964_1898598345_o.jpg

vette (for sale)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/fatallightning/DSC_4421.jpg

mr2 (also for sale)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/fatallightning/sept19/DSC_3842.jpg

240sx
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/fatallightning/PICT0508.jpg

miata
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/39118_562847332734_6023332_n.jpg

dd74
02-12-2013, 03:03 AM
Cars bore me now. I'm sorry to say this, but it's true.

With the advent of all-wheel-drive, speed sensitive this or that, variable steering and anti-lock brakes, hell, who couldn't lap a racetrack at the speed a dedicated race car could 10-15 yrs. earlier? In short, everything is done for you.

Put in for a Porsche 911 from 1988 to earlier, or any muscle car when a carburetor and live axle were de rigueur, and well, if you could drive that fast, you were a real driver, IMO.

These days I see Dodge SUVs create lap times better than '73 Porsche 911 Carreras, all while the A/C and stereo are blasting. :rolleyes:

Of course, this funnels over into cycling too. Witness Campagnolo EPS, which as much as I like it, it does have that "everything is done for you" feel.

William
02-12-2013, 06:58 AM
I had one of these....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEC4LVWzbNM

The 78 version with round head lights. There were even fewer of these built than the 79's. I also massaged it with Direct Connection Purple racing cam and lifters, headers and the works. It ate Ferrari 308's, Corvettes, and Trans Ams for lunch. Then I let a friends mechanic work on it who thought it would be fun to go cruise around his town and go to a party with it after hours. He ended up crashing it. Let me tell you, he never did anything remotely like that again.:butt:

Yeah, it's red, and it was fun!

William

Nooch
02-12-2013, 07:16 AM
@fatal, your (growing collection) of toys always impresses me, lol.

My dream car growing up was a '69 charger.. yep, I wanted the general lee.

ended up with a slow '95 integra in high school, a slower '95 jetta 2.0 after that, that was eventually built up and was a good fun autocross car, but that blew up, paving the way for an '04 golf that was a pretty car with no power, then an '06 jetta 2.5 which was a great family car, but more car than I needed to get to and from work, and now I'm driving an '99 honda cr-v (with the same engine as my first '95 integra.) guess i've come full circle.

mixed in there for short periods of time were an '89 16v GTI, and a '99 civic.

the closest I've gotten to a "fast car" would have to be the jetta 2.5 (it had some pick up) and my '95 jetta.. the '95 was built with a 268 degree cam, racing clutch, intake/exhaust, shine racing suspension... it was stiff, quick enough off the line, and carved the corners... a fun car to drive, for sure.

I recently, since picking up this cr-v, got interested in seeing just what's out there on the private market.. i know it's a 'fake' porsche and all, but used boxster's seem pretty affordable... I know there's no place for it in my life, what with no garage and a family and all, but it's nice to dream! first gen audi TT's, too, don't come in too steep. i'd imagine both of these on the used market have probably been abused a little bit, though..

FlashUNC
02-12-2013, 08:11 AM
There is no replacement for displacement.

My only complaint about the new Chargers is their 4-door layout. But I realize a two-door full-size is something of an oxymoron these days, though that original Charger is such an iconic design...

And while I love Mopar, there's nothing in the world that can touch a V-12 attached to a lead foot. Whether its Lamborghini or Aston Martin, doesn't really matter. Just a sublime sound.

Elefantino
02-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Nothing wrong with that!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/gmmtwo/file_zpsbce11d0d.jpg

Dave B
02-12-2013, 08:26 AM
There is no replacement for displacement.

My only complaint about the new Chargers is their 4-door layout. But I realize a two-door full-size is something of an oxymoron these days, though that original Charger is such an iconic design...

And while I love Mopar, there's nothing in the world that can touch a V-12 attached to a lead foot. Whether its Lamborghini or Aston Martin, doesn't really matter. Just a sublime sound.

I agree with the 4 door sentiment, but with a wife and two kids it suits me better then a 2 door. Although I do like the challenger. Big 2 door hemi! Sweet!

FlashUNC
02-12-2013, 08:33 AM
I agree with the 4 door sentiment, but with a wife and two kids it suits me better then a 2 door. Although I do like the challenger. Big 2 door hemi! Sweet!

I was about as jazzed as anybody for the Challenger's return, but the car's proportions are all wrong in person.

That, and Chrysler's insistence on barely offering a manual transmission in any of these cars.

eddief
02-12-2013, 09:40 AM
none of us really needs anything more than that.

Dave B
02-12-2013, 09:49 AM

Needs?

Man I changed out of that paradigm a long time ago. I understand perfectly that cars, to some, are simply a mode of getting to one point from another.

Me, I want the thrill, I love driving. I love twisty roads, long straight roads in the middle of no where when the speed limits is simply a suggestion. I like the visceral feeling of power that a large cubic inch engine gives.

My needs have changed and are pretty similiar to my wants now a days. :cool:

Sure I might be the cause of global warming, turtles with two heads, Lady Gaga, Van Halen breaking up or children going hungry, but I am having a blast!

Anyway

Mr Cabletwitch
02-12-2013, 10:01 AM
After growing up around muscle cars, having owned nothing but muscle cars for a long time and even now working on building a 1000hp pro street monster. I have now kinda lost my love affair with the power. I had a couple of Camaros one of which I drag raced and got down to a 12.2@115, but now I find myself drawn to little go carts. Ideally I'd love to own an original mini cooper with a Civic swap making somewhere around 200hp. I also have a soft spot for roadster types my mom just got a 2007 pontiac solstice GXP thats a ton of fun. Also have a 91 stealth Twin Turbo sitting around awaiting a little tranny work.

FlashUNC
02-12-2013, 10:02 AM
After growing up around muscle cars, having owned nothing but muscle cars for a long time and even now working on building a 1000hp pro street monster. I have now kinda lost my love affair with the power. I had a couple of Camaros one of which I drag raced and got down to a 12.2@115, but now I find myself drawn to little go carts. Ideally I'd love to own an original mini cooper with a Civic swap making somewhere around 200hp. I also have a soft spot for roadster types my mom just got a 2007 pontiac solstice GXP thats a ton of fun. Also have a 91 stealth Twin Turbo sitting around awaiting a little tranny work.

http://i3.8000vueltas.com/2012/07/Lotus_Seven.jpg

Mr Cabletwitch
02-12-2013, 10:38 AM
http://i3.8000vueltas.com/2012/07/Lotus_Seven.jpg

A car like that is what I'm talking about, only problem is I might have a harder time getting on the bike for my commute if I had a car I actually enjoyed driving.

rugbysecondrow
02-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Needs?

Man I changed out of that paradigm a long time ago. I understand perfectly that cars, to some, are simply a mode of getting to one point from another.

Me, I want the thrill, I love driving. I love twisty roads, long straight roads in the middle of no where when the speed limits is simply a suggestion. I like the visceral feeling of power that a large cubic inch engine gives.

Sure I might be the cause of global warming, turtles with two heads, Lady Gaga, Van Halen breaking up or children going hungry, but I am having a blast!

Anyway

This whole conversation as well as the compromises in place are how I arrived at my decision to get my WRX.

It is a fun car to drive, fast enough for me as well as fun to drive and handles well

Hatchback with good room for bike, cargo etc.

Seats fold down

4 door with back seat for car seats

all wheel drive, good handling for all weather

Utility, fast, spacious, safe, reliable...just a great compromise car.

bart998
02-12-2013, 10:51 AM
HHMmmm.... Mustang or Challenger? Which shall I buy?

Dave B
02-12-2013, 11:13 AM
HHMmmm.... Mustang or Challenger? Which shall I buy?

I think the newest version of the mustang is hella better then the pre 2010's, but the challenger is such a cool looking car. 470bhp and torque. Point and shoot. Love it!

torquer
02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
I want (no, I really need) one of these:
http://www.sportscardigest.com/wp-content/uploads/Isattadrag-620x465.jpg
So first I need to get myself down to Georgia by Friday for the auction.
http://www.sportscardigest.com/rm-auctions-weiner-microcar-museum-auction-preview/?awt_l=CnxNk&awt_m=JT1XOCnl0us.C0

Admit it, wouldn't you rather have that in the garage than half a dozen CF/EPS bikes?

Louis
02-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Have we ever seen a photo of the Louis Integra?

You caught me. All this time I've really still been driving the '70 Impala. :eek:

skijoring
02-12-2013, 01:06 PM

Naw, I wanna see a photo of the built Kirk.

Louis
02-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Naw, I wanna see a photo of the built Kirk.

I've been too busy keeping the Impala running to work on the Kirk.

FlashUNC
02-12-2013, 01:15 PM
I've been too busy keeping the Impala running to work on the Kirk.

And racking up parking tickets...

http://www.stillruns.com/parking.jpg

Louis
02-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Mine was sky-blue with a dark blue vinyl top. Only problem with this pic is that you don't get a feeling for the size of the trunk.

http://image.lowridermagazine.com/f/12902105/lrmp_0901_01_z+1970_impala_sport_coupe+model_in_fr ont.jpg

DHallerman
02-12-2013, 01:39 PM

Ah, you just described my Volkswagen GTI.

With great handling, a 6-speed manual, tight turbo engine, fast acceleration when I need it or want it, and -- most important -- carries one bike inside with style.

Here it is, a couple of autumns ago, visiting our cabin by the upper Delaware River:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24440195/vw_gti_damascus_01.jpg

eddief
02-12-2013, 01:47 PM
How many beds in that cabin?

=DHallerman;1292619]Ah, you just described my Volkswagen GTI.

With great handling, a 6-speed manual, tight turbo engine, fast acceleration when I need it or want it, and -- most important -- carries one bike inside with style.

Here it is, a couple of autumns ago, visiting our cabin by the upper Delaware River:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24440195/vw_gti_damascus_01.jpg[/QUOTE]

DHallerman
02-12-2013, 01:50 PM
How many beds in that cabin?

Actually, that cabin is our neighbors, someone who actually lives in SF and comes to PA for a while each summer.

Ours is similar, and has three bedrooms, four beds.

Why, Eddie? You want time in some Eastern bucolic settings?

Ah, you just described my Volkswagen GTI.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24440195/vw_gti_damascus_01.jpg

eddief
02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
in scenic places with temperate weather. That looks like one of those.

learningtoride
02-12-2013, 02:25 PM

eddief
02-12-2013, 02:40 PM
was in my garage when I was 17 years old - 440 cubes, 375 horses, Torqueflite. Now 2004 Rav4. hmmm

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2011/09/01/hmn_buyers_guide1.html

LesMiner
02-12-2013, 03:03 PM
aka "TV" Tommy Ivo, he was on a couple of sitcoms late 50's into the 60's. Here is his 4 engine dragster, they don't make em like that any more!
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s126/LesMiner/TommyIvo_zpsd6948e96.jpg

Ryun
02-12-2013, 03:17 PM
I like a V8 also. A little different than the SRT-8, but still fun 4.0l V8, 8600 rpms, 445hp with mods.

And for bike content, my Mike Z is having my Zank painted the same Fire Orage

deluxerider
02-12-2013, 03:25 PM
The modern muscle car. Power, handling, and comfort. If I had the funds it'd be an M3 four door or an M5 and a BMW 2002, Triumph TR4, a mid/late 80's 911 (yes the ones with the hideous rubber bumpers), and on, and on.

60's Pontiac GTO is baller as well. To me this epitomizes the muscle car. Take a family car and put a huge engine in it and do just about nothing else to it.

Also, all of you guys with dads and friends who have vintage classics sitting in the garage for 30+ years are killing me.

I like a V8 also. A little different than the SRT-8, but still fun 4.0l V8, 8600 rpms, 445hp with mods.

Dave B
02-12-2013, 05:26 PM

I work with a guy whose brother modifies every car he buys. He has an M3 (2011) that he had supercharged. 650+hp and took me for a ride in it. I almost got sick in the car with the amount of pull it had and in the corners as well. He is an amazing driver as well and takes it to track days. It was truly an experience.

I have never felt a car accelerate as quickly as that M3. I would love one some day, but the cost is so beyond what I make as a teacher. I have never even owned a brand new car. There is an orange M3 at our local BMW dealer. So beautiful!

fuzzalow
02-12-2013, 06:20 PM
He has an M3 (2011) that he had supercharged. 650+hp and took me for a ride in it. I almost got sick in the car with the amount of pull it had and in the corners as well. He is an amazing driver as well and takes it to track days. It was truly an experience.

I have never felt a car accelerate as quickly as that M3. I would love one some day, but the cost is so beyond what I make as a teacher. I have never even owned a brand new car. There is an orange M3 at our local BMW dealer. So beautiful!

Wow, 650hp is a lotta bang. Enough to make con-rods or head gaskets an endangered species. Problem with all that torque is it's hard to put it down for reasons of grip. M3 is RWD only, right? Best accelerating car I've ever driven is the venerable Turbo Porsche, 2009 I think. They can actually use the power as it does the 4-wheel drive thing so all that turbo spooled torque is usable. Don't like the feel of AWD but grip is grip. Turbo or supercharged motors don't need to be wound up high to hit the tasty part of the curve.

I've done years of track and all street cars have much too much understeer as the default setup. Safer that way for the average driver who may have more recklessness than skill. So that M3 should be fast enough to be fun but not setup twitchy enough to be dangerous, especially if running street tires on the track. Don't know if BMWCCA allow passengers in the car on track days, but if they do, go for a ride. Better still, finagle a drive.

But track experience IMO is the thing that will cure the desire to go fast on the street. Because once some driving skills have been developed, there is nothing possible on the street to match what is done on the track - maybe play with slip angles in the rain, that's about it. Street driving happens much too slow for anything to be interesting.

dancinkozmo
02-12-2013, 06:37 PM
dunno whats worse...the guys talking cars or when the ladies talk shoes.

Louis
02-12-2013, 06:47 PM
dunno whats worse...the guys talking cars or when the ladies talk shoes.

What about guys talking bikes? Worst of all.

Ken Robb
02-12-2013, 06:50 PM
BMWCCA driving schools only allow passengers in cars driven by instructors. Sometimes I have been asked to drive a spouse or a friend around the track in a student's car so they can get some idea of its potential. Needless to say I'm very careful when I do it but it's still a pretty exciting experience for someone with no on-track experience.

Some of the cars I have been asked to demo this way have been very interesting: supercharged NSX, Steve Dinan's turbo-charged demo that was just sold to my passenger, Corvette ZR-1 race car, etc. The biggest surprise was a BMW "318i" that really had engine from Euro M3 and had just placed 2nd in the One Lap of America competition. Instead of the 3.15 to 1 rear end of an M3 it had the 3.86 (or thereabouts) of a 318i so first gear was over almost before I could shift and we were lapping Laguna Seca using 4th and 5th gear most of the way around. :)

Mr Cabletwitch
02-12-2013, 06:56 PM
BMWCCA driving schools only allow passengers in cars driven by instructors. Sometimes I have been asked to drive a spouse or a friend around the track in a student's car so they can get some idea of its potential. Needless to say I'm very careful when I do it but it's still a pretty exciting experience for someone with no on-track experience.

Some of the cars I have been asked to demo this way have been very interesting: supercharged NSX, Steve Dinan's turbo-charged demo that was just sold to my passenger, Corvette ZR-1 race car, etc. The biggest surprise was a BMW "318i" that really had engine from Euro M3 and had just placed 2nd in the One Lap of America competition. Instead of the 3.15 to 1 rear end of an M3 it had the 3.86 (or thereabouts) of a 318i so first gear was over almost before I could shift and we were lapping Laguna Seca using 4th and 5th gear most of the way around. :)

Pretty sure I read an article about that 318, in fact it was plastered in my buddies dorm room in college. :cool:

Ken Robb
02-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Pretty sure I read an article about that 318, in fact it was plastered in my buddies dorm room in college. :cool:

It was a black sedan and I think it did get quite a bit of ink in the enthusiast press. The funny thing was I had no idea that it wasn't a stock 318i with nice wheels until I got on the gas coming out of the paddock. The new owner was a total rookie who realized after buying the car that he really ought to get some training at high performance driving to fully enjoy it.

William
02-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Speaking of muscle, you should check out the photos of Garrett's ERA GT-40 build in the Vendetta Spotlight thread!! That's some cool Sugar Honey Iced Tea!!;)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=124342&page=6

William

Elefantino
02-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Speaking of muscle, you should check out the photos of Garrett's ERA GT-40 build in the Vendetta Spotlight thread!! That's some cool Sugar Honey Iced Tea!!;)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=124342&page=6

William
It's hard to believe that John Wyer's baby is almost 50 years old and almost as hard to believe that there has not been, in all the years since, a better-looking automobile.

redir
02-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Needs?

Anyway

Yeah screw every one else at least I am having fun.

fuzzalow
02-13-2013, 11:56 AM

Anyway

Yeah screw every one else at least I am having fun.

This statement strikes me as overly harsh and critical. Which, in quoting the OP's post on his occasional supra-legal enjoyment of a muscle car, also brought to mind that my previous post on fast cars & track time could very well have implied a similar tone and sentiment.

That was not my intent, either to condemn or to preach.

There is nothing wrong with taking a thrill on a quiet & empty road. My cautionary tale involves the fact that those opportunities are few and far between and with budgetary cutbacks in all municipalities, speeding tickets are very lucrative. That means all the fun roads are well known, and watched carefully by law enforcement. The Dragon Rd. in Deals Gap, for example.

The average driver takes turns at walking speed, so if there is a corner taken at a speed a competent driver believes is perfectly safe, and maybe even a little fun ;), it is very obvious to the LEO and the driver will get clipped.

To be fair, the law polices the winding roads judiciously because they have to clean up the mess when an exuberant fool screws up, driving over their head because he thinks he's a very good driver. A self assessed skill based on nothing but fantasy and ego to back it up. Airlift ambulances cost bucks and the taxpayer foots the bill if the fool can't cover. And there is the worse possibility if the fool takes out somebody else in the process. Not good.

Nothing can be done on the public road that can match the track. So it is better not to try. But I'll still grab a thrill when I can. I'll admit that off ramps can be fun, especially if they are not perfectly circular and more "D" shaped - run it as a double apex carrying highway speed down into the 1st apex, heel 'n' toe the entry and again into the 2nd apex. That's it. 10 seconds of fun. Take it when you can get it.

Louis
02-13-2013, 12:02 PM
There is nothing wrong with taking a thrill on a quiet & empty road.

As long as I'm not riding my bike on that road. :bike:

I have to drive one of those "twisty roads" every day, and IMO the single biggest factor limiting my speed is the threat of deer on the roadway.

gasman
02-13-2013, 08:29 PM
I lust after cars but have been too cheap to buy a high performance car.
But I have been lucky enough to have friends that let me drive their cars including:

'68 Toyota FJ40 that the knucklehead outfitted with, I think, a 350 Chevy small block and Holley 4bbl carb. The dude had a section of RR track made into a front bumper to keep the front end down and he kept hitting stuff. 3 speed but you could do almost 60 in 1st the gearing was so tall.

'68 Camero SS-huge torque but only went in a straight line well

'72 Porsche 911s Watch out for that back end coming around but man what fun.

'80 Porche 911 R- Better at keeping the back end from coming around and still fun to drive

'95 Acura NSX-A total hoot to drive. Easy and handled much like my racing cart I had from age 12-14. My wife loved going on dates with me in this car because "Every guy turned their head and I could think they were looking at me "

'92 Ferrari 360 Modena- uh Wow. The only sad part was driving it for just 15 minutes. But hey,I was one happy guy.

I never drove a Jag XKE but I think that has to be one of the most beautiful cars designed. So does Top Gear.

What do I have now ? A used 2000 Volvo S70 I bought so I would feel safe when my kids drove it.

gasman
02-13-2013, 08:32 PM
It was a black sedan and I think it did get quite a bit of ink in the enthusiast press. The funny thing was I had no idea that it wasn't a stock 318i with nice wheels until I got on the gas coming out of the paddock. The new owner was a total rookie who realized after buying the car that he really ought to get some training at high performance driving to fully enjoy it.
That is a smart guy

rounder
02-13-2013, 09:24 PM
I don't understand the hate from those who don't like cars.

The bike lovers defend their love for bikes regardless. They are being built using the greatest technology available today. You can buy a bike (world's most efficient machine per Bob Weir of Grateful Dead) that weighs less than 16 ponds and ride forever. Plus, at the same time, you can ride them to work every day.

You can say the same for cars. They are being built using the greatest technology available today. When I started driving, everyone bought new cars every three years...because you may not be able to rely on them after that. Tires did not last very long. It was a really big deal when Michelin advertised that their tires would last 30,000 miles. Gas was $.28 per gallon but mileage was around 15 mpg. Plus you did not have to pump it.

Today, the cars are as high tech as bikes...probably more. The cars last 200,000 miles or more. My tires already have 65,000 miles and the indicators are not showing. Gas is closer to 3.85 per gallon (premium) but mileage is more like 30 mpg.

To me, love bikes, but cars are just as much fun. I support both.

Elefantino
02-14-2013, 09:24 AM
The above GT40 replica got me to starting up the way-back machine, which led me to this book that was published in '09:

http://askdrapa.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Go-Like-Hell-_1.jpg

I read it yesterday. Total page-turner, a lightning-quick read, great detail, some of which was new to me.

I recommend it highly. I'd share it but I got it via ebook.

54ny77
02-14-2013, 09:29 AM
ford gt (the modern iteration of gt40 ) is probably one of the few, if only, domestic cars in countless generations that has since its inception sold for more than msrp--and continues to climb.

absolutely stunning car. ford knocked it outta the ballpark and into the next county with that car. if i had the means, i'd own one in a heartbeat.

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-14-2013, 04:41 PM
haha!

i dont have an digital images, but i owned that car, exactly as you describe it, many years ago- and. it. was. awesome.

With T-Tops?