PDA

View Full Version : Campy Cassette Question

cpsqlrwn
02-11-2013, 02:54 PM
I see that Campy has added two new cassettes in 2013 that appeal to the person who rides in mountainous or hilly areas. These are 10-speed and they are a 12-27 and a 12-30. The 12-30 is particularly nice in that once you are up to the 17 cog on the large ring, you can step down nicely to the small ring by going down just 2 cogs once you're on the small ring. And this relationship holds true on every gear above 17 on the large ring. Two cogs down on the small ring, you'll end up slightly above the gear ratio had you simply downshifted one cog on the large ring.
Anyway, my question is this. The new cassettes are being advertised as Ultra Drive by many people who have them for sale. However on Campy's product announcement (scroll to the bottom of this page.... http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/newsdetail/newsid_283_newscatid_3.jsp), it indicates that the cassettes have been developed using 11-speed Ultra Shift technology. My question is would these cassettes be compatible with no issues on early Ultra Drive 10 speed systems which would be from the early to mid 2000's (early Ultra Drive) before Ultra Torque was introduced? I would think they would be fine, but I am looking for some confirmation. Anybody out there done this already? Thanks for any info!

AngryScientist
02-11-2013, 03:01 PM
as far as i know the spacing on ALL campy 10-sp cassettes is the same. that's all that actually matters for compatibility, so yes, they will work.

cpsqlrwn
02-11-2013, 03:04 PM
as far as i know the spacing on ALL campy 10-sp cassettes is the same. that's all that actually matters for compatibility, so yes, they will work.

That was what I thought as well. I was just concerned with whether or not the Ultra Shift technology incorporated any different ramping, beveling, or design changes that the early 10 speed might not handle so well.

donevwil
02-11-2013, 03:05 PM
cpsqlrwn,

I've been running a new 12-27 for a few weeks on mid 2000 Ultra 10. First and foremost it shifts better than either the previous 13-26 or 13-29 Chorus, noticeably better ( I use KMC chains). The ratio is perfect for me in Nor Cal. The quality is also nice to see. I believe it is marketed as Centaur, but is nicer than previous generation Centaur, the three big cogs are joined on a single spider.

Bought 12-30 for my wife, but haven't installed it yet.

Ralph
02-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Ultra Drive and Ultra Shift is same technology I think. If not the same, you won't notice the difference. And all 10's cassettes compatible. All have three different spacers size. On loose cog cassette you get three different spacers, on the ones where the large cogs are on a carrier, the space is built in. The narrowest of the 3 spaces is between the two largest cogs.

As I recall.....Extra Drive came before Ultra.

I don't really have much use for a 12 tooth cog on the same bike I would use the 30 tooth cog (30-42-52 in front), and I have a like new 13-29. I happen to like having a 16 also. So I've been thinking about buying a 12-30 and using the 13-14-15-16-17-19-21 of the 13-29 with the 24-27-30 of the 12-30 cassette. I can use the remaining cogs of the 12-30 on another bike.....maybe build a bike and run a 34-46 with cassette starting with 12.

I've never had any interest in a 11 cassette, but do like the fact that with a 12-30 on the 11, you get a straight block all the way thru 17. 12-27 on 11 would have the desirable 18 cog also.

Edit addition.....It's nice to read from above poster about how nice the new cassettes shift.

donevwil
02-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Ultra Drive and Ultra Shift is same technology I think. If not the same, you won't notice the difference. And all 10's cassettes compatible. All have three different spacers size. On loose cog cassette you get three different spacers, on the ones where the large cogs are on a carrier, the space is built in. The narrowest of the 3 spaces is between the two largest cogs.

As I recall.....Extra Drive came before Ultra.

I don't really have much use for a 12 tooth cog on the same bike I would use the 30 tooth cog (30-42-52 in front), and I have a like new 13-29. I happen to like having a 16 also. So I've been thinking about buying a 12-30 and using the 13-14-15-16-17-19-21 of the 13-29 with the 24-27-30 of the 12-30 cassette. I can use the remaining cogs of the 12-30 on another bike.....maybe build a bike and run a 34-46 with cassette starting with 12.

I've never had any interest in a 11 cassette, but do like the fact that with a 12-30 on the 11, you get a straight block all the way thru 17. 12-27 on 11 would have the desirable 18 cog also.

Edit addition.....It's nice to read from above poster about how nice the new cassettes shift.

Ralph brings up two good points, a 12 works well for me because I'm running the 46-34 he mentions, also I do miss the 16 on occasion since I was used to having it on prior cassettes.

I'm keeping my 13-26s and 29s for my 50-36 bike, but would go to a 48 if I were to use the 12-25 & 27 moving forward.

oldpotatoe
02-12-2013, 07:52 AM
I see that Campy has added two new cassettes in 2013 that appeal to the person who rides in mountainous or hilly areas. These are 10-speed and they are a 12-27 and a 12-30. The 12-30 is particularly nice in that once you are up to the 17 cog on the large ring, you can step down nicely to the small ring by going down just 2 cogs once you're on the small ring. And this relationship holds true on every gear above 17 on the large ring. Two cogs down on the small ring, you'll end up slightly above the gear ratio had you simply downshifted one cog on the large ring.
Anyway, my question is this. The new cassettes are being advertised as Ultra Drive by many people who have them for sale. However on Campy's product announcement (scroll to the bottom of this page.... http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/newsdetail/newsid_283_newscatid_3.jsp), it indicates that the cassettes have been developed using 11-speed Ultra Shift technology. My question is would these cassettes be compatible with no issues on early Ultra Drive 10 speed systems which would be from the early to mid 2000's (early Ultra Drive) before Ultra Torque was introduced? I would think they would be fine, but I am looking for some confirmation. Anybody out there done this already? Thanks for any info!

No issues, completely compatible with ANY Campagnolo 10s drivetrain, even from 2000, the first year.

BTW-we installed a 12-30 onto a demo bike with a short cage RD, compact crank, didn't change the chain length and it was just fine and dandy.

wooly
02-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Any idea if campy will be coming out with lower ranged cassettes for 11 speed?