PDA

View Full Version : SoCal bike fitters?

false_Aest
02-11-2013, 01:19 PM
SoCal peeps,

Start dropping recommendations - Nate Loyal isn't an option.

Ken Robb
02-11-2013, 01:24 PM
California Bicycles in La Jolla does good work. They can put your bike or their bike on a trainer that is programmed with various classic ride routes and you "ride" the one you chose. The computer-controlled trainer increases/decreases resistance as you ride up/down hills while you watch the road on a screen in front of your bike.

I watched a local customer "climb" Palomar Mtn. while they got his fit dialed in.

Jaq
02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
What's up with Nate? Is he just out and about in the world?

You might try Cynergi. There's also Bike Effect over in Santa Monica. They have the added benefit of being the local Rapha dealer and they love to ply their customers with espresso. Not sure about their fitting services, tho'.

Finally, there's PV Bikes. Not sure what's up with them since Steve Bowen passed. I think they're open for biz. Here's a link to their fitting page:

PV Bikes fitting. (http://pvbike.com/articles/our-fitting-services-pg39.htm)

PV has a high rep amongst the locals. Might be worth a trip if it's not too far.

Oh, and Final Fit (http://www.finalfit.com/).

ofcounsel
02-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Well, if Nate isn't an option (if he were closer to me, he would be my first option), then how about OutSpoken Cycles in Huntington Beach?

www.rideoutspoken.com

They use the GURU fit system. Not quite old school, or total pro, but good enough for government work :) I just got my measurements done a few weeks ago. Took about 2 hours total for the fitting. I ended up with a more agressive postion with a lower and longer stem, a little more forward over the cranks and a smidgen lower on the saddle (I also identified some handlebars that work better for me). So far, I did a couple of short rides ~20miles, and it feels great. I've gotta try a 50+ mile ride to confirm the fit, however.

donevwil
02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
I HIGHLY recommend Eileen Olson of Erowheels. She fit me 22 years ago and it was a revelation. It appears she is still doing it and is still highly regarded (http://www.yelp.com/biz/erowheels-costa-mesa).
Couldn't find a website in my one Google attempt.

Bud_E
02-11-2013, 03:14 PM
I had a couple of fittings with Ted Ernst in Manhattan Beach 10 years ago - I used to ride with him in South Bay Wheelmen. If he's still doing fittings, I recommend him. ( On the other hand I really liked Nate Loyal - who was recommended to me by Swoop - so there you go ).

dd74
02-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Don at Bicycle John's. He fitted me perfectly for my Serotta.

bcm119
02-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Ashton at Sundance Cycles did a great job for me and I know many others here have had good experiences with him. Apparently Sundance is now closed and Ashton is working for Franco (http://www.francobicycles.com/), which I don't know much about but looks interesting... in Westlake.

false_Aest
02-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Nothing against Nate.

Just living near Santa Monica, I hear his name a lot and want to know what else is around.

slidey
02-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Just so you know, if I ever need a fit I drive up 100 miles each way to get fit by him...yup, he's really that good.

Nothing against Nate.

Just living near Santa Monica, I hear his name a lot and want to know what else is around.

lalonauta
02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
I have nothing but positive things to say about Jim Manton at ero-sports. He works out of the LA Velodrome nowadays and on top of doing Retul fits, he's also doing aero position optimization while you ride around the track with live telemetry.

SoCalSteve
02-11-2013, 07:11 PM
The only person I know who exceeds Nate is Steve at Bike Effect. And, if push came to shove (and I wanted to spend big $$$ on a fitting) I would go to Steve without hesitation. he knows his *****, for sure....and, has a passion about it that I have never seen in any other bike fitter-personal trainer-coach-whoever.

And, lastly, there is no other bike store in Los Angeles that I would give my hard earned $$$ to but Bike Effect. They are that good!

beeatnik
02-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Nothing against Nate.

Steve is the best in town. He has the tools and the resources. More than anything, he has a holistic approach. Walk into his shop and talk to him for 5 minutes and you'll know what I mean.

Now, if you don't want to drop 5 billz, there's Aram at Predator. He'll take care of the basics.

slidey
02-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Are you self advertising here, Steve? ;)

The only person I know who exceeds Nate is Steve at Bike Effect. And, if push came to shove (and I wanted to spend big $$$ on a fitting) I would go to Steve without hesitation. he knows his *****, for sure....and, has a passion about it that I have never seen in any other bike fitter-personal trainer-coach-whoever.

And, lastly, there is no other bike store in Los Angeles that I would give my hard earned $$$ to but Bike Effect. They are that good!

false_Aest
02-11-2013, 08:45 PM

I know you. That says a lot!