PDA

View Full Version : Campy EPS - Next generation?

thenewguy11
02-11-2013, 11:44 AM
At some point I know I want to try the electronic shifting, but I really don't want a control unit/battery clogging up the frame. And I'd rather go with Campy than Shimano. So, does anyone have some speculation on when the next generation of Campy EPS might make an appearance?

FlashUNC
02-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Considering this iteration took 20 years...

MattTuck
02-11-2013, 12:00 PM
At some point I know I want to try the electronic shifting, but I really don't want a control unit/battery clogging up the frame. And I'd rather go with Campy than Shimano. So, does anyone have some speculation on when the next generation of Campy EPS might make an appearance?

They might be able to miniaturize the control unit such that it fits in the hoods, but I think they're always going to have the battery. No?

Tony T
02-11-2013, 12:11 PM
At some point I know I want to try the electronic shifting, but I really don't want a control unit/battery clogging up the frame.

Calfee has a seatpost battery (http://www.calfeedesign.com/product/components/di2-internal-battery/) now for Di2, so maybe someone has a Campy EPS battery.
edit: Never mind, I realize now that Campy has the "brains" of the system with the battery, so not as easy to hide as Di2

dd74
02-11-2013, 12:16 PM
The next thing Campy might try is wireless shifting. But that's not going to be for a long time.

While the Calfee mod is interesting, it brings weight higher up on the bike via the battery being in the seatpost. I think you'd want as much weight as possible toward the bottom of the frame for handling reasons.

Tony T
02-11-2013, 12:20 PM
...most on the weight on my bike is above the seat ;)

Lovetoclimb
02-11-2013, 12:37 PM
I wonder if the Calfee Di2 mod made them some money. If so I would think a resourceful electrical engineer could stand to make money by patenting a battery/brain center mod for the Campy EPS drivetrain. Of course that would be expensive parts to "experiment" on.

dd74
02-11-2013, 12:49 PM
I wonder if the Calfee Di2 mod made them some money. If so I would think a resourceful electrical engineer could stand to make money by patenting a battery/brain center mod for the Campy EPS drivetrain. Of course that would be expensive parts to "experiment" on.
Problem is I think Campy would have some legal issues with that.

Tony T
02-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Well, there's always this: CALFEE COMPOSITE STEM WITH HIDDEN CAMPY EPS BATTERY (http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/09/21/interbike-2012-calfee-composite-stem-with-hidden-campy-eps-battery-garmin-mo/)

And this: De Rosa launch Superking road bike with integrated EPS battery (http://road.cc/content/news/65347-de-rosa-launch-superking-road-bike-integrated-eps-battery)

pbarry
02-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Well, there's always this: CALFEE COMPOSITE STEM WITH HIDDEN CAMPY EPS BATTERY (http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/09/21/interbike-2012-calfee-composite-stem-with-hidden-campy-eps-battery-garmin-mo/)

Craig is a pioneer and I love his work, but that's just not right. :eek:

thenewguy11
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I am hoping for something like the seatpost battery that Shimano is going to offer and that Calfee has offered now for a couple years (I think). While the control unit currently resides with the battery, I don't think that always has to be the case.

I find it interesting that people like the folks at Fairwheel have been tinkering with the Di2 system almost since it first appeared. But I have yet to see anything like that being done for EPS.

torquer
02-11-2013, 02:02 PM
"Craig is a pioneer and I love his work, but that's just not right."

+ a bazillion!!!
I'd be afraid to fall into some pothole I didn't see coming because of that huge thing. Craig jumped the shark with that one.

The DeRosa is much better, but I would pay extra to lose that Escher-esque downtube/logo swirl.

54ny77
02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Campy is in a collabo with Hanna-Barbera to introduce a line of Croce d' Flinstone city bicycles. Look for them in 2014.

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/bike-designs-fliz-1.jpg

pbarry
02-11-2013, 02:31 PM
I just spewed coffee on my monitor. Good one! :hello:

Lovetoclimb
02-11-2013, 02:38 PM
That De Rosa is brilliant!

lalonauta
02-11-2013, 04:19 PM
That must have taken a lot of work to make molds and fab this up. I'm surprised nobody stopped him along the way and gave him feedback on the aesthetics.

Craig is a pioneer and I love his work, but that's just not right. :eek:

R2D2
02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Boeing is going to have a bunch of cheap used batteries.

oldpotatoe
02-12-2013, 07:32 AM
I am hoping for something like the seatpost battery that Shimano is going to offer and that Calfee has offered now for a couple years (I think). While the control unit currently resides with the battery, I don't think that always has to be the case.

I find it interesting that people like the folks at Fairwheel have been tinkering with the Di2 system almost since it first appeared. But I have yet to see anything like that being done for EPS.

Because the processor is in the base of the power unit on EPS.

Sorry, I just don't get it. Not gonna have EPS on one of my personal bikes but are some posters unhappy about water bottles cluttering up the frame? How about under seat bags and pumps? Big TV(almost) sized touch screen info units on their handlebars?

It just seems to not be an issue when the battery unit is just aft of the downtube waterbottle..IMHO.

ultraman6970
02-12-2013, 08:02 AM
You have less parts if you have the brain and the power supply all in one unit, thats the only reason i see for that, less weight, less things to go bad containing the two units together.

The problem is that guys complain too much too, personally I would have put the thing under the down tube close to the BB but kinda flat not as bulky as it is right now, maybe longer but flatter?

For the next generation they have to go wireless, mavic did it 20 years ago, dont see why they couldnt do it, and add functionality for 8 up to 11 speeds just with a tiny switch.

oldpotatoe
02-12-2013, 08:08 AM
You have less parts if you have the brain and the power supply all in one unit, thats the only reason i see for that, less weight, less things to go bad containing the two units together.

The problem is that guys complain too much too, personally I would have put the thing under the down tube close to the BB but kinda flat not as bulky as it is right now, maybe longer but flatter?

For the next generation they have to go wireless, mavic did it 20 years ago, dont see why they couldnt do it, and add functionality for 8 up to 11 speeds just with a tiny switch.

Not gonna be wireless anytime soon. Mavic design was world's different than Di2 or EPS and it didn't work worth a ****e. Unless they change it wholesale, they are going to have batteries in the front and rear der and levers(?)to make it wireless, transmit a signal to the ders.

To do all this because of wires, those ugly unsightly wires? Wireless brakes anyone, get rid of those unsightly brake housings? Wireless wet discs, yep, that's the ticket.

Tony T
02-12-2013, 09:07 AM
It's really up to the builders to hide the wires and battery in the frame. Many custom builders are doing a good job of that now. Campy made it harder by combining the computer with the battery. Remember how ugly the brake cables were when they first came out before they were routed under the tape?

dd74
02-12-2013, 01:44 PM
It's really up to the builders to hide the wires and battery in the frame. Many custom builders are doing a good job of that now. Campy made it harder by combining the computer with the battery. Remember how ugly the brake cables were when they first came out before they were routed under the tape?
I just remember how ugly DA 7800 was because it didn't route under the tape, especially after I saw what Campagnolo was doing.

54ny77
02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
oh but those 7800 shifts....like buttah!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6lWE0KDGG-w/TdrN5hIhr-I/AAAAAAAACFM/Bk4xJpMGUSQ/s400/mike_myers_coffe_talk.jpg

I just remember how ugly DA 7800 was because it didn't route under the tape, especially after I saw what Campagnolo was doing.

dd74
02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
... are some posters unhappy about water bottles cluttering up the frame?... It just seems to not be an issue when the battery unit is just aft of the downtube waterbottle..IMHO.
It's not an issue. People get used to it.