PDA

View Full Version : OT: Camera Bags

giverdada
02-11-2013, 09:46 AM
hey friends:

i know a bunch of you on here are into photography and i just wanted to pick your brains regarding your fave bags. now that i'm hoping to transport my whole digital suite with me more often, and have lenses that i'm using that i haven't been taking with me much, i'm looking for a better bag for the set-up. i have been looking at crumpler shoulder bags so that i can shoot and get in and out of the bag quickly while still having quick access to other lenses, etc., and it doesn't necessarily look like a camera bag, and will go quite nicely on my back while i'm riding to locations. i usually use backpack messenger bags, because i'm not actually a messenger, and i don't need to 'sling' the bag repeatedly so they've been fine, and they're great for carrying the weight of my laptop and camera system. i really like the weatherproof nature of my messenger bags, but they are not at all camera bags.

so, to carry a laptop, a DSLR, a long lens and a couple primes and maybe a massive Metz flashgun, what bag would you recommend? i was thinking a Think Tank Urban Disguise 35 or 50, or a Crumpler 8 Million Dollar Home. i'm sure there are a ton of other things out there i've not even thought of. i think one of my ideal things would be a filson tin cloth field bag with a crumpler haven insert and some kind of laptop sleeve. ugh. the options are endless. thanks for any recommendations.

n.

weatherman
02-11-2013, 09:58 AM
To carry a fair amount of gear and have some modular options, take a look at the Dakine Sequence. I used this for a recent trip to Alaska and it was great to load up my gear safely for travel and then you can pull the camera insert (has stand-alone strap) and use the backpack for other options if you would like etc. For my purposes on the trip, it was awesome. Also includes an integrated rain fly. Good stuff!

http://www.dogfunk.com/dakine-sequence-pack-w-camera-block-1800cu-in?CMP_SKU=DAK2024&MER=0406&CMP_ID=GAN_GPLA&mr:trackingCode=5D3D87D4-9525-E111-BAE2-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=32930666265&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=20762933025&origin=pla&gclid=CPjHu5jPrrUCFdSnPAod41YAyg

Likes2ridefar
02-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Crumpler make nice bags that are durable and water resistant/proof. I dont know about all their models, but I do have a few backpacks and one messenger bag and a small camera bag for a 4/3rds SLR.

The mahobar pack I used today in steady rain for 45 minutes did not let any water through.

the small camera bag offers reasonably quick access. the rest, I don't think so due to the very strong velcro used as well as the straps that need to be clipped to keep them from flapping around.

I got a pacsafe bag yesterday to carry an ipad mini and other small items. they are of exceptional quality and have some really cool anti-theft features. They make camera bags as well but I've not seen them but after buying the metro200(i think that is the model) I'm going to look to them for a new camera bag.

gavingould
02-11-2013, 11:07 AM
i carry a Thinktank Speed Racer. most often i have a 5D2, 35 f/1.4, 135 f/2, 16-35 f/2.8, mid size flash. if shooting a race, add a 1D3.
extra batts in the side pockets, extra media cards in the front pocket.

when i need to bring more lenses/flashes/radio triggers etc, i have a big Tamrac backpack. i've ridden with them before, but when loaded it's not a good time. the last thing i want to do is take a spill with $15k on my back!

mvrider
02-11-2013, 11:17 AM
I have a closet full of camera bags and backpacks, so I guess I'm still searching for the perfect bag! I have looked at a lot of different Crumpler models (I love their camera neck strap), but I haven't sprung for one yet, because I think they are rather bulky compared to the alternatives.

I end up having different bags for different trips. A shoulder bag, with its quick access, works well for urban trips, where you need to react quickly, and also avoid ramming fellow pedestrians or subway riders with your bag. Tenba makes a nice line of messenger bags (http://www.tenba.com/Categories/Messenger-Bags.aspx). Not sure how burly your shoulders are, but a bag loaded with a DSLR, 4 lenses, and a laptop makes mine sore after a day of wandering.

So, for longer treks or outdoor adventures, I use a backpack to better distribute the load. It slows down lens changes, but I typically use one lens 90% of the time, anyway. One annoying thing about many camera bags is that they leave no room for an extra jacket or lunch.

Lately I've been favoring the use of a camera bag insert, such as the Mountainsmith Kit Cube (http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/camera/kit-cube.html). I can then use a regular daypack (with better suspension than any camera bag), a large fanny pack, or nondescript shoulder bag. I've even used one inside my backpacking backpack, either in the top pocket, or at the top of the main compartment.

In any case, anything that gets you out there with your gear is what works!

My web site (http://khiemdo.net/galleries/galleries.htm)

pbarry
02-11-2013, 11:23 AM
The Million Dollar Home looks great. I bought Crumpler's biggest messenger style bag a few years ago and loved the features, but could not deal with the massive velcro closure system without any buckles. Must have been a common complaint since the new models have a "velcro silencer" and buckles.

phcollard
02-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Bags to photographers are like saddles to cyclists. It takes many attempts/purchases to find the right one for you :)

Think Tank is great, a bit expensive. Crumpler is very cool and well done too.

hokoman
02-11-2013, 11:43 AM
crumpler bags weigh a ton, i have one of their backpacks and messenger style camera bags and never use either now. i have been getting away from messenger style because they get uncomfortable, if you can spring for it, the F-Stop bags are awesome. I have a Satori, and want to get a smaller one, maybe the loka.... but then again, I am teetering on whether or not I want a new body.... camera gear market is absolutely opposite of the bike market, super strong.

IFRider
02-11-2013, 12:04 PM
I have gone down a number of paths with carrying my camera kit for outdoor activities. Chest packs for skiing, hiking and mtb. Messenger bags for tourist gigs. Dedicated backpacks for all the above. The challenge has always been carrying the other stuff needed beyond the camera equipment. Some of my favorites.

Crumpler Karachi Outpost (http://www.crumpler.com/us/Camera-Bags/Camera-Backpacks/Karachi-Outpost-M.html?LanguageCode=EN&SKU=KOT001-X00150). This pack works well and holds a ton. It is the pack I use when I have to take a laptop, never have for riding. It works well for tourism stuff and does not appear to be a camera bag.

Clik Elite Venture 35 (http://www.clikelite.com/products/venture-35/). Is my go to pack for hiking, snowshoeing, skiing. It holds a decent amount of gear and has room for a days worth of stuff (food clothing). Holds a water bladder.

Clik Elite Compact Sport (http://www.clikelite.com/products/probody-sport/) is inline the Clik Elite Bottle Rocket which I use for mtb'ing, skiiing and light day hikes. Holds a water bladder.

The ThinkTank stuff if nicely made, albeit focused on mainly carrying photo gear. I have also used a lot of LowePro stuff and that is also well made, albeit primarily for photo activities (they have a couple of nice bags for riding in the Photo Sport (http://www.lowepro.com/photosport) series).

Look hard at what you want to carry and how. The full kit in a Karachi Outpost is way more than I would want to ride anywhere on. If you are road riding (I would go with padded cases and panniers to get the weight off you and on the bike low).

Warren

veloduffer
02-11-2013, 12:13 PM
There usually is a tradeoff between protection and portability. Bags with lots of foam protection are bulky to carry around - Crumpler fits that mold (I have the 6 million) as do many shoulder bags. A Domke has minimal protection but great portability, which is why many photojournalists use them. You can also use a messenger Filson bag with some of the padded velcro wraps to individually cover your goods - they'll just be loose, though, in the bag.

Backpacks are better if you are doing an activity like hiking, biking or skiing. There's tons to choose from.

If you want stylish and non-photo looking, Billingham bags are divine (and expensive).

I think you need to question whether you really want to carry a lot of gear and do you plan on many lens changes. It gets heavy and more often, you find that you use one lens 90-95% of the time. And why do you want to carry a big flash unless you're covering an event. Most on-camera flashes do well enough for daylight fill-flash

I and many other folks use two bags when going on vacation - a big gear bag and a smaller day bag (I like the Lowepro Fastpack 100). But if I am walking around for the day (hiking, day touring on foot or bike), I usually go light with a zoom (24-120/f4 and/or a 35/50mm prime for low light) and a small flash (Nikon SB-400) - again the Lowepro 100 or Lowepro Rover backpack. If I want to go really light, I just use the prime lens. and a neoprene cover.

I don't carry around my pro type lenses (f/2.8) and big flashes unless I have an event to cover (wedding, etc.) or I am accessing the site by car, which also means a tripod.

giverdada
02-11-2013, 04:32 PM
these replies are all so very excellent, and really forcing me to get to the real point - what do i want to carry, and how. i guess that's the main dilemma. i have a pelican case for hand carrying and for trips where water/etc. are a risk. i have a lowepro orion trekker for half camera schtuff and half lunch/jacket. and i have a timbuk2 messenger bag that looks nothing like a camera bag but is pretty waterproof and definitely bike friendly. i also worry extensively about carrying kit on my back while i'm riding - would hate to have a spill cost me the sum total of everything i own that's actually worth dollars. so, i guess i'm looking mostly at the shoulder bag, for quick access and maybe a jacket or my lady's arm warmers while she's racing. thanks again for all of the links, too! anyone ever used the national geographic bags? always remind me of james nachtwey in the war photographer - solo, badass.

bargainguy
02-11-2013, 04:43 PM
After years as a photojournalist, I found that I gravitated to smaller bags. The tendency with larger ones is to throw everything but the kitchen sink inside. Not a good idea for your shoulders, back, etc.

In the days of film, this was my pro outfit: 14/2.8, 20-35/2.8, 28-70/2.8, 80-200/2.8, and assorted strobes etc. The 300/2.8 I'd need on occasion never went into a bag. I'd keep it in its original trunk & remove it, put it on a monopod and carry it over my shoulder wherever I needed it.

I still have about 20 different bags from my PJ days, but my favorite brand is Domke. The canvas tends to wear well. I don't know if they make any bags conducive to laptops, though.

Ray
02-12-2013, 07:17 AM
I don't carry huge loads, rarely more than one or two small mirrorless bodies and no more than 3-4 total lenses, and the lenses I use on my m43 and Fuji systems are a lot smaller and lighter than comparable DSLR gear. So I don't need huge bags. I have a Billingham Hadley small bag that was expensive as hell but worth every penny (although before their price increases last year - now they're pretty crazy expensive, but still probably worth it if it keeps you from trying additional bags and more bags). And a few Domke's of various sizes that were a lot less money but are also good bags. But as often as not I just go out with one body with a prime lens on it and, unless bad weather is expected, no bags.

-Ray

gavingould
02-12-2013, 08:21 AM
i also find that i'm carrying less and less... honestly 90% of the time i'm fine with one body and the 35+135.

giverdada
02-13-2013, 06:06 PM
thanks a ton, again, for all of the recommendations and information and knowledge. i've always been struck by the number of people i've met about either photography or bikes who also happen to be into photography or bikes. is there some weird connection here? are you all going to now tell me that you also adore donuts, particularly the sour cream glazed variety? this might get weird...

n.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pushtwostops/8472435064/

bicycletricycle
02-13-2013, 06:31 PM
billingham hadley is the coolest bag ever

Ray
02-14-2013, 04:10 AM
billingham hadley is the coolest bag ever

Yeah, its kind of weird because there doesn't seem to be anything all that different or better about it at first. Certainly nothing to justify its high cost. Which kept me away from them for a loooong time, but I kept reading these glowing reviews of them. So I finally broke down and got one when I had some cash burning a hole in my bank account. And it was nice right away, but with more and more use, I appreciate it more and more. One of those bags that just works well in the field - comfortable to carry, easy to get gear into and out of (this is a pet peeve of mine with some bags that just don't want to give up the next lens you're trying to grab...), weatherproof, durable as hell.

Sort of like my Spectrum frames - expensive as hell and tough to really know what you'd want when you're new to the activity. But once you know what you want, spending all that money ends up being cheaper in the long run because then you stop buying every cheaper frame/bag that comes along, knowing you've finally found the right match...

-Ray

alpsantos
02-14-2013, 10:47 AM
For everyday use, I use a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60. I’m able to fit two camera bodies in the front pockets (Nikon D3s), 24-70 and 70-200 lenses in the main compartment along with an external flash. A 15-inch laptop goes in a separate compartment. There are plenty of extra space for camera accessories such as batteries and cords.

If I need to carry bigger lenses and more camera crap, I use a Think Tank Airport Security roller bag. I also a have Think Tank Street Walker backpack for photo assignment that requires lots of walking or hiking. You can’t go wrong with Think Tank photo bags, it’s pricey but well worth it, imho.

PQJ
02-14-2013, 11:10 AM
I've been super happy with my Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home. Granted, I'm a photographer wannabe but it is very well constructed, functional and stylish to boot.

giverdada
02-14-2013, 09:16 PM
i've been toying with the idea of a filson field bag with a crumpler insert. problem is the ease of in/out - the field bag has a zip and a flap, and the zip is metal. ouch. i guess hadley would be the same thing, but the right version. that's a lot of cash for a bag though, and i don't think i'm quite there yet. thanks again for all of these recommendations though. such depth of knowledge and experience here. now if i could just get around to developing all that 120 film in my mamiya bag...