PDA

View Full Version : Cassette Swaps

iRide
02-10-2013, 09:33 PM
My training wheelset has a 11-28 cassette, would it shift right if I use a different range on my new race wheelset?
Thanks

oliver1850
02-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Assuming you're talking about a cassette with a smaller large cog, shifting shouldn't be a problem, assuming you don't run into a chain length problem.

How much different on cog sizes?

If you want to switch back and forth between an 11 - 28 and an 11 - 23, you may need a shorter chain.

There may be an in-between chain length that works, it depends largely on the cage length of your RD, and frame details.

Even if one chain length won't work for both cassettes, it's not a big deal to have a chain on hand for both setups, with quick links to make for easy changes.

vqdriver
02-10-2013, 11:09 PM
cassette doesn't matter, indidual cog would. if you're set for a 28 then smaller shouldn't be an issue. your 11-28 probably has a 23 cog or 25 cog somewhere in there. it probably handles it fine when in the middle of your current cassette so it should handle it fine when on another wheel.

the issue, if at all, would be with rd limit settings. if different hubs then that may take some tweaking.

bart998
02-10-2013, 11:52 PM
cassette doesn't matter, indidual cog would. if you're set for a 28 then smaller shouldn't be an issue. your 11-28 probably has a 23 cog or 25 cog somewhere in there. it probably handles it fine when in the middle of your current cassette so it should handle it fine when on another wheel.

the issue, if at all, would be with rd limit settings. if different hubs then that may take some tweaking.

+1

The only caveat is that chains and cassettes tend to wear together. A new cassette may cause the chain to skip. Try it and see.

oldpotatoe
02-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Assuming you're talking about a cassette with a smaller large cog, shifting shouldn't be a problem, assuming you don't run into a chain length problem.

How much different on cog sizes?

If you want to switch back and forth between an 11 - 28 and an 11 - 23, you may need a shorter chain.

There may be an in-between chain length that works, it depends largely on the cage length of your RD, and frame details.

Even if one chain length won't work for both cassettes, it's not a big deal to have a chain on hand for both setups, with quick links to make for easy changes.

Since you size chains on a small-small combo(at least I do), and the chain is proper for a 11-28, then it'll be proper for a 11-23 or 25.