PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a rigid Ti fork for 29er

nmrt
02-10-2013, 12:01 PM
I have been mulling over a Ti fork for my Ti hardtail 29er for a loooooong time now. The reason why I have not pulled the trigger is that they are expensive. I know of only one builder that makes the unicrown Ti forks (Black sheep bikes for $600). But now that I may be close to putting a deposit down, I am left wondering how it will ride. Can anyone here chime in? Maybe elaborate on the harshness of a rigid Ti fork compared to a suspension fork. Or maybe the lack of harshness compared to a rigid steel fork. I currently have a Vicious Cycles steel fork on the bike and even with 2.4 width tires I find the ride overly harsh. The characteristic "springy" Ti feel is not there especially compared to my hardtail Ti 26er (with 80 mm front suspension).
So, any thoughts? Will a ti fork bring back the "springyness"? Heck, I find my ti road bike with a carbon fork to me more "springy/lively" than the 29er with the steel fork.
Thanks a bunch in advance for your thougths.
BTW, I weigh about 140 lbs, if that matters.

confused in cold colorado.

Peter P.
02-10-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't see anything to be gained with a titanium fork. The legs will have to be oversized to offer stiffness comparable to a steel fork and that will negate any weight savings if that's a secondary desire. And if the fork you have in mind is a 29er that's suspension corrected, you should read Sean Walling's opinion on them here. (http://www.soulcraftbikes.com/forks.php)

I ran an IF rigid fork on my Salsa Ala Carte, and currently have a rigid fork on my Rock Lobster ATB. They're both steel, 26" suspension corrected and while they clearly have different blades on each, I find neither harsh riding. I weigh 135lbs.

Steel and titanium have different spring rates so their flex curves will be different.

one60
02-10-2013, 02:54 PM
curious what responses you get on this topic. Steve Potts makes a Type II fork but I believe its steel. Carver has a Ti fork for 29ers. I believe I've seen a segmented style fork made of Ti as well.

Though I can't recall where, there's been commentary regarding why Ti tubing may not be well suited for forks...I'd ask some Ti builders why, it can't be for lack of ability.

pbarry
02-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Dean makes one with straight blades and a cast alloy crown. The White Industries Rock Solid is another good option. At your weight, most production steel forks are not going to feel lively.

binouye
02-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Ti is a great material for frames, but I've never ridden a Ti fork.
But why not consider one of the carbon 29er forks if you want something lighter and/or different from steel. Cheaper too. On my Ti dropbar 29er I recently switched from a rigid Salsa steel fork to a Niner carbon fork. While I can still tell its not a suspension fork, I do think it smoothed out the ride a little (I'm 145, 2.0 tires on Stan's Crest wheels).

AngryScientist
02-10-2013, 03:25 PM
ask Jack Brunk, if my memory serves me right - he did it for a while...

yakstone
02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
I ride a Dean rigid Ti fork on my SS MTB. Love the feel and the look. I previously had a nice Fox 100 on it and while the ride isn't as plush as suspension I do prefer the rigid Ti fork. I recently picked up one of Dean's Ti Cross forks and just installed it on my cross bike. Fork brake shudder is now a thing of the past. Workmanship is top notch and their delivery time has greatly improved.
Go for it.

nmrt
02-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Please keep the responses coming!

As to why not a carbon fork -- not reason actually. well, maybe i wanted something "lively". Now, I am not sure if this is really the case -- that Ti fork would be livelier that carbon/steel. Hence, my thread! :-)

eddief
02-10-2013, 06:08 PM
but this guy is building some forks for wide tires:

http://www.carverbikes.com/comp/carbon-29er-fork

granted, they come from an ocean away.