PDA

View Full Version : Alliance Bicycle's (Erik Rolf) Project Bike: A Joy to Ride

eolson124
02-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Last year I purchased Alliance Bicycle's "Project Bike," which Erik Rolf displayed at the 2012 North American Handmade Bicycle Show. After putting two thousand miles on my new acquisition, I wanted to provide feedback to the cycling community.

In his Project Bike, Erik demonstrated innovative design, skillful framebuilding, adroit componentry selection, and superior attention to detail. The bike is a joy to ride.

The frame design hits a sweet spot that is missed by both road racing bikes and cyclocross bikes. The Project Bike combines the essential elements of a road racing frame with certain characteristics of a cyclocross bike. While remaining torsionally stiff and responsive, the frame has clearance for larger tires and has a slightly higher bottom bracket. This combination provides a supple road-bike-like ride on city streets and across washboard. My only comment is the frame does not have braze-ons for disk brakes.

Erik cut no corners in his componentry selection. Although I'm a Campy Record guy, the Dura-Ace group is silky smooth. The compact crank and 11-28 cassette permit me to climb the steepest hills. The Chris King hubs and bottom bracket are top of the line. The Ritchey post, stem, and handlebars are light, strong, and comfortable. The Grand-Cru brakes are responsive, never mushy, and stop in the rain. Although I would have selected a more traditional rim, the Stan's No Tubes rims provide a smooth ride on rough roads. I replaced the Fizik Arione seat with a Brooks Team Professional leather saddle (which I ride on all of my bikes).

The Project Bike is aesthetically pleasing. In the sun, the paint job sparkles and jumps. The red spoke nipples and red cable caps show the pride that Erik takes in his work.

Communication with Erik regarding my purchase was straightforward and problem free. He shipped the bike as promised and there were no surprises. Based on my experience with his Project Bike, I recommend without hesitation Erik Rolf for your bike and framebuilding needs.

eolson124
02-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Here is a link with some photos and more details.

http://alliancebicycles.com/2012/02/27/nahbs-bike-1/

rwsaunders
02-10-2013, 01:04 PM
That's a sweet looking bike. My fear of going to NAHBS is that I'd go into sensory overload and bring something like that bike home with me.

spaced_ghost
02-10-2013, 01:09 PM
so nice. remember that thing being for sale. it's my size, too.

soulspinner
02-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Cool stuff, he learned from one of the best................

Wayne77
02-10-2013, 07:31 PM
I had an exchange with him awhile back. Such a nice guy. Check out the blog on his site with all his builds. He's got a great aesthetic sense. I think William sent a note over to him about a doing a builder spotlight. Hopefully Erik is up for it - I'd love to see more PR for a builder like him out in my neck of the woods! He's got a pretty competitve price/value prop too, IMO.

yeah, he did learn from one of the best it would seem...

boconnor811
02-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Nice bike and write-up!

soulspinner
02-11-2013, 03:06 AM
I had an exchange with him awhile back. Such a nice guy. Check out the blog on his site with all his builds. He's got a great aesthetic sense. I think William sent a note over to him about a doing a builder spotlight. Hopefully Erik is up for it - I'd love to see more PR for a builder like him out in my neck of the woods! He's got a pretty competitve price/value prop too, IMO.

He apprenticed with Carl Strong.

William
02-11-2013, 05:27 AM
... I think William sent a note over to him about a doing a builder spotlight. Hopefully Erik is up for it - I'd love to see more PR for a builder like him out in my neck of the woods! He's got a pretty competitve price/value prop too, IMO.

Currently running at the top of the GD area.:)
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=123433

William

Wayne77
02-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Cool! ...how did I miss that? Thanks for the heads up :)

Currently running at the top of the GD area.:)
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=123433

William