PDA

View Full Version : Bought some Nemesis rims...now what?

kohlboto
02-10-2013, 10:08 AM
So, I'll preface this with saying I am part of the unwashed masses of clincher users and not a tubular guy (which is code for I am clueless about tubulars). But, I got caught up in the buying frenzy over CC's Nemesis blowout and now I find myself with a pair of tubular rims...
I'm curious to try them out but I wondering about the build, specifically the hubs.
I have a pair of Black Record hubs I could lace up but I'm not sure I want to use them on a wheel set that I may or may not like. At the other end of the Spectrum, I could get a set of Miche RG2s for $130.00 ish and lace up a fairly reasonable (?) set of tubulars that, again, I may or may not like.
So, if I am looking for a reasonable foray into the tubular experience where is my best balancing point between value and performance (in both hubs and tires, I suppose) keeping in mind that I am not a committed tubular aficionado.
Lots of questions concerning a largely first world problem...
Any perspectives would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Jay

Gummee
02-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Go with what you already have. You can always un-build the wheels and sell off the rims.

...or if you decide you don't like tubulars, I'd guess (2x check me) that you could re-lace using the same spokes with a pair of H+Son TB-14s (box section rims) I know I've re-laced GL330 wheels with MA40s and vice versa before.

HTH

M

djg
02-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Why not use the record hubs that you have? I mean, first of all, you have them already, so the marginal cost is nada. Plus, really, they're great hubs that don't cost a fortune -- certainly not when compared with reasonable substitutes. Well-built wheels from a good builder . . . what's not to like? If you decide, for whatever reason, that tubular tires are not for you, the hubs are still good, and can be re-used in a different build.

gavingould
02-10-2013, 10:16 AM
i'd just grab some black or silver hubs from bikehubstore.com and use the Records for something else.

terry
02-10-2013, 10:40 AM
I built mine up already-using my black record hubs. Since I only ride tubulars I didn't have any reservations using the best. BTW-they built up easily and look sweet.

Honey
02-10-2013, 10:56 AM
with the record hubs, if you don't like them, you could probably sell them at cost here and build something you want too

Jaq
02-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Half-measures get no results. Personally, I love my Mavics, but Ambrosios aren't called "The Golden Ticket" for nothing. I'd love to have a pair, and if I did, I'd build them with the best hubs I have. Those Record hubs were made to be laced to those rims - especially if you consider that Nemesis rims are undisguised Campy Cronos made with a little more TLC.

And instead of spending extra money on hubs, why not spend that cash on, say, Ergott or Old Potatoe or another forumite who will happily (and professionally) build you a set of flawless, bullet-proof wheels?

While they're at it, they can also install your first set of tubbies. It's not hard to do (god knows we've enough threads on it here and across the hall), but having a pro do it the first time wouldn't be the worst thing at all. The key there is to discuss with them what kind of tubular you want.

My advice (aside from the above): life's too short to ride crappy tubbies. Some guys and gals have phenomenal luck with the low-end Vittoria Rallys or Conti Giros or the 3/$50 Schwalbes from Yellowbike. I don't, and never have. I find I have very good luck, though, with tires starting in the $45.00 range (which I buy overseas or on Ebay to keep the price down; in the US, they run about 65-70). Purely for training, tires like Continental Sprinter Gatorskins are pretty robust, and they come in both 23 and 25mm widths. I've never run a pair, but I'm dying to try out the 25s.

There are dozens of other makers, though; Dugast, FMB, Mavic, Schwalbe, Veloflex, Tufo, etc. Aside from Contis, I'd love to try a set of FMBs just because of the mystique that surrounds them. FMBs on Nemesis rims laced to Record hubs is a slice of fried gold.

Lionel
02-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Lace them to record hubs. they will become your favorite wheels soon.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/Nemesis1.jpg

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u459/Lionel_B/Nemesis3.jpg

Oh yes, forgot, FMB or Veloflex.

yakstone
02-10-2013, 11:43 AM
If you are going to try Tubulars then lace up a worthy set. You already have the rims and hubs. Take them to your favorite builder, have a nice set of FMBs or Veloflex mounted and then go try them out. Using the lower end stuff is not going to give you the best experience.
Or, list the nemesis and get your money back, buy a set of clinchers that you have been wanting to try and move on.

cmg
02-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Use double butted spokes, thicker spokes on the drive side. Don't go cheap on the spokes. says NO to straight gauge. Sapim lazer and race is a good combo.

Lionel
02-10-2013, 11:51 AM
or go CXRay all around.

AngryScientist
02-10-2013, 12:10 PM
for what it's worth the RG2's are great hubs, i've got a set and they're performing well. the stickers peel right off to, for an all silver look.

FlashUNC
02-10-2013, 12:19 PM
for what it's worth the RG2's are great hubs, i've got a set and they're performing well. the stickers peel right off to, for an all silver look.

+1. Had a set of Miche hubs I liked a lot.

dd74
02-11-2013, 01:13 AM
As for tires: Veloflex.

happycampyer
02-11-2013, 05:38 AM
I currently have three sets of Ambrosios, two (32h) built with Record hubs and one (28h) built with Chris King R45 hubs for Campagnolo. You can't go wrong either way. I prefer these wheels with wider tires (currently have FMB Paris-Roubaix 25mm on the 28h and 27mm on one of the 32h, and Dugast Pipistrellos on the other 32h). I learned recently that 27mm Vittoria Paves are available in black (at worldclasscycles)—I would include those on the list of tire choices as well.

echelon_john
02-11-2013, 05:41 AM
I don't think you'd regret using the Record hubs for these. As others have said, both aesthetically and functionally they're a great match. Plus you're sitting on them already, and they're not that rare (or expensive) if you wanted to pick up another pair.

cfox
02-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Use the nicest stuff you have and then start saving up for your next set of tubulars. You are not going to dislike tubulars!!

oldpotatoe
02-11-2013, 07:38 AM
So, I'll preface this with saying I am part of the unwashed masses of clincher users and not a tubular guy (which is code for I am clueless about tubulars). But, I got caught up in the buying frenzy over CC's Nemesis blowout and now I find myself with a pair of tubular rims...
I'm curious to try them out but I wondering about the build, specifically the hubs.
I have a pair of Black Record hubs I could lace up but I'm not sure I want to use them on a wheel set that I may or may not like. At the other end of the Spectrum, I could get a set of Miche RG2s for $130.00 ish and lace up a fairly reasonable (?) set of tubulars that, again, I may or may not like.
So, if I am looking for a reasonable foray into the tubular experience where is my best balancing point between value and performance (in both hubs and tires, I suppose) keeping in mind that I am not a committed tubular aficionado.
Lots of questions concerning a largely first world problem...
Any perspectives would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Jay

If you don't want to use the Record hubs(understanding that it's really no big deal to unlace them), use these. Not expensive, 9/10/11s compatible, well made.

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=755

I also like Miche hubs altho the RH flange is really far inward toward the center of the rear hub. Using Prolock nips or an OC rim with these hubs helps a lot.

oldpotatoe
02-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Half-measures get no results. Personally, I love my Mavics, but Ambrosios aren't called "The Golden Ticket" for nothing. I'd love to have a pair, and if I did, I'd build them with the best hubs I have. Those Record hubs were made to be laced to those rims - especially if you consider that Nemesis rims are undisguised Campy Cronos made with a little more TLC.

And instead of spending extra money on hubs, why not spend that cash on, say, Ergott or Old Potatoe or another forumite who will happily (and professionally) build you a set of flawless, bullet-proof wheels?

While they're at it, they can also install your first set of tubbies. It's not hard to do (god knows we've enough threads on it here and across the hall), but having a pro do it the first time wouldn't be the worst thing at all. The key there is to discuss with them what kind of tubular you want.

My advice (aside from the above): life's too short to ride crappy tubbies. Some guys and gals have phenomenal luck with the low-end Vittoria Rallys or Conti Giros or the 3/$50 Schwalbes from Yellowbike. I don't, and never have. I find I have very good luck, though, with tires starting in the $45.00 range (which I buy overseas or on Ebay to keep the price down; in the US, they run about 65-70). Purely for training, tires like Continental Sprinter Gatorskins are pretty robust, and they come in both 23 and 25mm widths. I've never run a pair, but I'm dying to try out the 25s.

There are dozens of other makers, though; Dugast, FMB, Mavic, Schwalbe, Veloflex, Tufo, etc. Aside from Contis, I'd love to try a set of FMBs just because of the mystique that surrounds them. FMBs on Nemesis rims laced to Record hubs is a slice of fried gold.

Thanks for the pitch and I think appropriate to mention that some of us wheelbuilders don't get all nervous and jerky if somebody sends the hubs and rims to us, for the build. Not even if ya sent the tubulars either, it's just not that big of a deal.

oldpotatoe
02-11-2013, 07:46 AM
or go CXRay all around.

Since this is a discussion group, I'll discuss. Cx-Rays and DT Aerolites start life as thin spokes and become thin/oval spokes. Kinda bladed altho not really, so you don't have to slot the hubs. BUT still thin spokes and they 'may' work for the OP but may not. I'd certainly need to know more about him before I built a wheelset completely with these about $3.50-$4 per spokes, spokes.

I'd feel better with DT comp or Sapim Race RH rear and DT Revs or Sapim Laser everyplace else, 3 cross, brass nipps.

I HAVE built with Cx-Ray and altho nice, I don't really buy into the advert 'superiority' of these spokes..still thin spokes, still gotta support the rim.

IMHO-of course.

kohlboto
02-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the perspectives and opinions, they were quite enlightening...
It looks like it's going to be a Record/nemesis build...probably DT Comps or something of that ilk, and a fatter tubular, yet to be determined...

oldpotatoe
02-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the perspectives and opinions, they were quite enlightening...
It looks like it's going to be a Record/nemesis build...probably DT Comps or something of that ilk, and a fatter tubular, yet to be determined...

JUst got these..nice 25mm tubies, less $.

http://www.vittoria.com/en/product/specials/#product-4502

Corsa Elite-290 TPI, same $ as Conti Sprinter but probably more supple ride.

kohlboto
02-11-2013, 08:57 AM
The Rally?
They look like they could fit the bill. I'm not racing, just looking for something to ride the back roads and possibly a few gravel/fire roads

ultraman6970
02-11-2013, 09:01 AM
You are doing this way too complicated.

Lionel
02-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Since this is a discussion group, I'll discuss. Cx-Rays and DT Aerolites start life as thin spokes and become thin/oval spokes. Kinda bladed altho not really, so you don't have to slot the hubs. BUT still thin spokes and they 'may' work for the OP but may not. I'd certainly need to know more about him before I built a wheelset completely with these about $3.50-$4 per spokes, spokes.

I'd feel better with DT comp or Sapim Race RH rear and DT Revs or Sapim Laser everyplace else, 3 cross, brass nipps.

I HAVE built with Cx-Ray and altho nice, I don't really buy into the advert 'superiority' of these spokes..still thin spokes, still gotta support the rim.

IMHO-of course.

The typical build for Nemesis is using DT Comp or equivalent, I have a set like that too. But the CX-Ray or aerolite will built something lighter, but yes they are more expensive.

teleguy57
02-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Old P, what about the prolock nipples makes them better for the Miche hubs?

Also, what dimensions are you seeing on the Campagnolo rears? I've not had a pair in hand yet (thinking about them) and have seen lots of different flange to center measurements posted. I think the most severe was 16 NDS and 39 DS -- which would result in pretty low NDS tension (41%...)

wooly
02-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Lace them to record hubs. they will become your favorite wheels soon.

Oh yes, forgot, FMB or Veloflex.

Lionel - I'm with you..

Just picked these up on Friday, rode them on Saturday and boy do they feel great.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1AgvJnJwUU4/URkcSeJCj2I/AAAAAAAAAoM/4VQyUwURJZg/s800/photo%255B1%255D.JPG

Jaq
02-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the pitch and I think appropriate to mention that some of us wheelbuilders don't get all nervous and jerky if somebody sends the hubs and rims to us, for the build. Not even if ya sent the tubulars either, it's just not that big of a deal.

Open mouth, insert cleat. Sorry about that.

Lionel
02-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Lionel - I'm with you..

Just picked these up on Friday, rode them on Saturday and boy do they feel great.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1AgvJnJwUU4/URkcSeJCj2I/AAAAAAAAAoM/4VQyUwURJZg/s800/photo%255B1%255D.JPG

This looks.... perfect.

teleguy57
02-11-2013, 10:59 AM
This looks.... perfect.

Gorgeous wheels -- even more perfect to my eyes :) would be silver Campy hubs and silver spokes.